Doubts about modifying existing models (MCX)

Thread: Doubts about modifying existing models (MCX)

Doubts about modifying existing models (MCX)

Hello everyone

I have some doubts about modifying existing models/gauges without their autors permission...because the autors are unreachable.

Maybe first I should ask you for help to contact with:
    -Thomas Ruth (emailed tom_at_impact-records.de, server returned '550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable')
    -François Dore (emailed francois.dore_at_freenavdbgroup.com; no answer, even the freenavdb.com web became M.I.A. recently)

Yesterday I emailed Vladimir Zhyhulskiy (looking back, I don't know if this was a prudential action, nobody knows what kind of people is controlling now the yandex.ru domain...). Still no answer, but I will wait some days, although I've seen posts in forums saying that other people already tried without success...

Is there any convention about freeware models that look like abandoned (whatever the reason) by their authors? My intention is keeping them freeware...

King regards

That's a thorny subject! FS modelling has had many authors over the years, many of whom have moved on to other things, some of whom have died, but unless a modeller clearly stated their model may be freely altered, edited, borrowed for other purposes etc, the convention is to honour the author's copyright. Having done a bit myself, I'd be really annoyed at my work being appropriated by another without my say so. Just because it's possible to do it (via MCX) doesn't make it right to do so and I know of examples where an MCX (mis)user got into big trouble by doing so. "Abandonware" is no justification.

You've done the right thing by trying to contact the authors.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Many thanks for your answer, Hairyspin

It's a pity. The modellers should have in account the GNU/GPL license when they release their work if they do it for free. A collaborative effort can produce amazing things...

The case is that I've started about two years ago testing the Thomas A330 MRTT with a FD-FMC version that François released for a civil A330 and started to think 'this can be enhanced'...and doing it. So I've enhanced the FD-FMC displays (PFD, MFD, ND's...), but without using the FMC vertical navigation, because it needs to install a lot of other things (sceneries, etc...). For vertical navigation tried Garret Smith FMC gauge, and started again (this can be enhanced, this can be fixed, this can be adapted to the A330 characteristics,...).

Then I noticed that the most used engine version for A330 MRTT is the Rolls Royce one, while the original TR has the GE engines. So I extracted the engines from the Thomas A330 RR civil version and attached the external hose pods and tail boom...

Etc.

Scratching my itches, I've finished with around 7 MRTT models with new repaints (adapted for RR engines versions), some of them have AI fighter models attached simulating in-air refuelling, and liveries of Spanish Air Force, French Armee de l'Air, an UK Vespina livery, Korea Air Force and Republic of Singapore Air Force.

More or less happened with the Vladimir's C-123 Provider, a model that didn't interested me a lot, but that I've finished falling in love...

So, having done all this, I beg anyone that can help me to locate these autors, or suggesting me other alternative forums in which I could find them.

Thanks in advance, and kind regards.

Antonio

Members who have read this thread: 18