Shrike to release F-86 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shrike to release F-86

Looks good, though cockpit VERY worn and still (apparently) wrong colour...will wait for some release feedback (just how simplified is it?) but hopeful

I hate that rusty cockpit. A bit of wear and tear, great ! Fishing it up from the bottom of the ocean after a decade or two... Why ???...

This was a great chance to have the ultimate F-86 for our beautiful virtual flying world, flies absolutely wonderful, the external model looks amazing, the VC is modeled perfectly as well, why ruin it all with this aweful rusty texturing. That's not F-86 like at all ! If only i knew why...

B.U.M.M.E.R. !!

Hopefully some intrepid painter will take some 500 grit sandpaper to the panel and give it a fresh coat of paint...
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    Hopefully some intrepid painter will take some 500 grit sandpaper to the panel and give it a fresh coat of paint...
    Well, maybe, hopefully... I'm almost sure i'm not the only one who simple can't fly this beauty from within this rusty old dustbin...

I mean, this is the original FSX Milviz F-86 VC :

What's wrong with that ?... It's perfect !! That could've easily been a photo of a real F-86 cockpit !

Why throw that in the ocean for 2 decades and then fish it up and put it in our beloved MSFS F-86 ??!!

Oh, well, nuff said, i'll get off my F-86 box then. Hands itching i can tell you thàt..

@Javis: I think that repainting the cockpit should be feasible for the many talented repainters that SOH counts, don't you think?

Cheers,

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

The weird USAF font on the fuselage is being fixed before shipping. Hooray!

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    @Javis: I think that repainting the cockpit should be feasible for the many talented repainters that SOH counts, don't you think?
    Mwah.... usually it's all external my good friend..My perception is that repainters don't care much for poking around in VC's... Take that very nice looking Pilot's Boeing 314 Clipper, one of the biggest initial debacles in the history of MSFS (). The external model looks very nice indeed, well worth an equally nice looking VC. Unfortunately that didn't happen. IMHO an awful green color as one of the reasons. While i don't do repaints anymore this Clipper VC was the reason i had a look into the ins and outs of MSFS repainting (more or less..) with result of a new overall VC color, actually quite easily done (i guess the real deal starts with PBR materials and texture baking). But that's not all of it of course, it's just a good start.

I mean, if i myself, MSFS repaint experience 0,01%, can atleast have a good start what about all the experienced MSFS repainters ? But if you know where to get a completely re-textured, wonderful looking Clipper VC that fits the very nice looking external model perfectly, let me know, Ok ?..

I really can't think of a native MSFS aircraft model that looks great externally but with VC textures that could do with some serious re-texture work which actually happend. I have quite a few MSFS aircraft in my hangar that have fantastic looking VC's, modeling-wise and texture-wise alike with the Dino/Heatblur F-14 VC at the very top of course but others come quite close as well ( Transall and Caribou to just name two, how do you do) (atm i keep the Vulcan as something to really look forward to..;-). Milviz perfectly capable of producing a fantastic looking VC as well, see f.i. the original FSX F-86 VC, hopefully we'll get behind the fact one day why they ment to have their native MSFS F-86 VC look like a rusty steel dustbin.

Getting a VC repaint ?... I very much doubt it, my friend ( i DO keep my fingers crossed though.. I LOVE that external model and its flight dynamics ! )

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by K5083 View Post
    This was what I was referencing above, it really jumped out at me in the preview vid. The Canadian national insignia and lettering are equally as bad, as is the Norwegian. What's wild is that some of these paints are the same aircraft represented in the old Milviz, but the insignia and fonts are now far worse! It's as if they re-mastered the old skins but substituted lower quality assets for these items. What is the logic? It's like, "Hey, let's re-master an old Led Zeppelin record but this time with autotune!"

The USAF lettering for the Sabre is a bit unique in style and would have to be done "by hand," or at least by tracing a good model kit decal sheet. For the Canadian and Euro schemes, I put out a set of fonts TWENTY-FIVE YEARS AGO now that are all over the web and would have been at least a starting point for the Canada and Norway lettering. You can't research the topic for 10 minutes without finding these resources. That's why I expressed the hope that these are placeholders in the trailer, and we'll get cleaned up skins on release. Failing that, I hope the old Milviz skins still fit this model, because I have put some time into converting and improving a couple of them for the port-over (which Jan, I agree is lovely to fly) and making the skins shown in the trailer accurate would be far more work.

August
    Most all Sabres used during the Korean War used the Amarillo USAF Font. You can download it from here or I can upload it to the Warbirds Library.

Cazzie

https://fontmeme.com/fonts/amarillo-usaf-font/

AvAngel did a review on this bird:

Cheers,

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

She mentions a long spool time when increasing throttle. If I remember correctly, there was an FS9 version of this type that also modelled that correctly. The manual stated that normal practice at landing was to raise the throttle on approach and use the speed brakes to maintain speed. This was because if a go-around was needed, you stood a good chance of not being able to get enough thrust in time. With the engine already at power, all you had to do was retract the brakes and let the thrust take over.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Was hoping for a CGAviator review, but Beckett is a pretty good reviewer (I have to turn the sound of Avangel to avoid annoyance...)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjndRrYcbuQ
    https://youtu.be/UTcPGzD7juY

The problem I have with many MSFS cockpits is that the sunlight/metallic reflection effects are way overdone...I wonder if this is the case in this one, and that in typical english weather 10/10ths at 2,000 ft with rain, it will appear darker?

If not, I darkened the Swissmilsim Vampire cockpit, which was photoreal from a very used museum exhibit, quite easily, but probably one of the experts will do it

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    I hate that rusty cockpit. A bit of wear and tear, great ! Fishing it up from the bottom of the ocean after a decade or two... Why ???... This was a great chance to have the ultimate F-86 for our beautiful virtual flying world, flies absolutely wonderful, the external model looks amazing, the VC is modeled perfectly as well, why ruin it all with this aweful rusty texturing. That's not F-86 like at all ! If only i knew why...B.U.M.M.E.R. !!
    Internal textures bad? The exterior textures are absloutly atrocious. The heavy use of panel lines and rivets is puzzeling. It's as if they 3D scanned an old Revell or Monogram model. None of this is going to matter in the end to the X-box crowd.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

As normally this will be out tomorrow, just a few words as I was briefly involved in testing.

A great effort has been made in the FDE for this one within the limits of MSFS. Yes you will get the "nose up and wait" in both take off and landing and you will get the slow response of the engine, using airbrakes to control speed and keeping it at abt 80% all through the approach. It is a joy to fly and much reminded me of the FSX/P3D version that I also tested extensively.

Many fonts and markings you see in the previews are indeed incorrect. Some USAF ones have been corrected in the release, as much as possible, and you will be getting ones like these with the Amarillo or NAA fonts in the lettering and better insignias:

The rest of them will be corrected in a patch that will come soon, like the Skyblazers one that will look like this:

Btw if you have the Blackbird KBAB scenery the hangar door animation using the hide stick event will be working.

A paintkit will be available for all the talented repainters to create their masterpieces.

Finally, I just wished to show how the cockpit looks under different light conditions:

All these are just personal observations and as with anything that is put out there on the market, it is of course subject to criticism.

Thank you for these explanations and previews, Dimus! I'm much more interested in purchasing this now when it's released tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    Finally, I just wished to show how the cockpit looks under different light conditions:
    Thanks very much for taking the trouble, Dimus. Certainly appreciated !

That makes quite some difference indeed ! But it shouldn't be the weather that hides that awful rusty steel color, should it.... It would mean me tweaking the front fuse texture by adding " I'm only happy when it rains" by Garbage. (loved that band and particularly that song )

No matter if the cockpit looked black and blue or bright purple i'm buying this Sabre because if flies so nice and the external model looks great too (as does the VC minus the textures ;-) Who knows, i might be inspired enough to see about those VC textures myself. You don't happen to know why Shrike thought it necessary to change the VC textures compared to the original FSX Milviz Sabre, do you ?....Or, i don't know, is it maybe simply caused by adapting the textures for MSFS use ?..

Thanks again, Dimus !

For the sake of visitors, I'll be closing this one now and opening a new thread with the release info. Please continue there.

New thread
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Members who have read this thread: 203