KNGZ NAS Alameda

Thread: KNGZ NAS Alameda

Hybrid View

KNGZ NAS Alameda

Old timers like me, simulloyd and gray eagle, will remember 2016 and all the efforts we put into this NAS, my first and most ever complex scenery. A lot of improvements in computers have been done since then. We have all learned a lot but I think it's still quite an achievement and so do others who have asked me for a link to it because the FREE dropbox links in the old thread are all dead. So, for anyone who has never seen this and is interested, it is native FSX but will maybe work in P3D as well. Maybe I'll upload it and try and see or someone else can and let me know here. This is the final version and I don't intend to do any updates to it having moved on. Without further ado...

https://www.mediafire.com/file/3uk6k...rsion.zip/file

I don't have a powerful computer by any stretch but much better than I had in 2016 when this was developed. I have 1TB HDD and 16GB RAM on an older Dell 990 desktop with an AMD video card that is not the most powerful. Nevertheless, I have this beautiful scenery in my P3D V4.5 with no fluttering at all and 27-30 fps with ORBX Bob walking around.

For those of you like me who now fly in Prepar3D V4.5, here are a few shots of the beautiful NAS Alameda I just uploaded:

I

I

Looks great! I was stationed there in '71 until Feb. of '72 with VAQ-132
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

NAS Alameda

Works great in P3D V5.4

Vultures row on USS NoName Carrier - Yup! I landed on the deck.

Three water towers? Don't remember that many.

More Alameda in P3D V5.4

I remember way back in my long ago when I pulled in there on USS Hancock and USS Bon Home RIchard (Bonnie Dick) and I think USS Ranger (Hi Yo Silver)
    They were at pier approx where the carrier in this pic is.

all of the houses

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Works great in P3D V5.4

Back in 2016 with the help of all the BRAG information in that 300 some page reports with pictures, I placed all of the houses; townhouses; etc in exactly where they belonged. They are all custom made from photos. I was very proud of them. The three water towers are also from photos in the BRAG report as are even some of the street signs. I went nuts! LOL! But it was a lot of fun. With the exception of KASH I have never done anything this elaborate since. I had the same amount of info for KASH and Falcon409 did all of the autogen and photoreal for it. I didn't know anything about autogen or photoreal when I did this so I hand placed all the trees on base from BRAG lists. They were the real trees in the real places but that is why it was back in the day so framerate intense. Like the Commisary and the NEX gas station that you can refuel your drivable Jeep Wrangler or pickup which I remember the "Chief's were so fond of. Great to hear that it works so well in V5.4 too. It has potential for some new life in the new sims and won't OOM or kill it with low FPS's with Prepar3D.

I was surprise that a TV show MythBusters took the airfield it over for their "experiments" - they toe it up!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    Back in 2016 with the help of all the BRAG information in that 300 some page reports with pictures, I placed all of the houses; townhouses; etc in exactly where they belonged. They are all custom made from photos. I was very proud of them. The three water towers are also from photos in the BRAG report as are even some of the street signs. I went nuts! LOL! But it was a lot of fun. With the exception of KASH I have never done anything this elaborate since. I had the same amount of info for KASH and Falcon409 did all of the autogen and photoreal for it. I didn't know anything about autogen or photoreal when I did this so I hand placed all the trees on base from BRAG lists. They were the real trees in the real places but that is why it was back in the day so framerate intense. Like the Commisary and the NEX gas station that you can refuel your drivable Jeep Wrangler or pickup which I remember the "Chief's were so fond of. Great to hear that it works so well in V5.4 too. It has potential for some new life in the new sims and won't OOM or kill it with low FPS's with Prepar3D.

Impressive work there Richard.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

I had a great time while stationed at NAS Alameda! I had my own room the whole time. The guy that was suppose to be my roommate was on a
    Med Cruise. The barracks was about 20 yards from the chow-hall and being a 2nd Class Petty Officer, I was permitted to use the 2nd Class-Chief PO's mess next door.
    It was much fancier with a salad bar and regular tables instead of the long tables and benches.
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

KNGZ 2016 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Works great in P3D V5.4

Back in 2016 you made a comment about the three water towers and on page 11 of that thread I posted the area layout from the BRAG report that shows them though they ARE hard to find why I highlighted them in red with arrows. They are (were) really there. I missed the third one the first time I placed the two too.

Here Are The Airport Charts And More

I want to thank Woogey and also hamelers for this info. Since more was lost from my original project than I can imagine (never again all is archived) I am downloading again everything that I discovered I lost. In 2016 when the original was happening, hamelers sent me the link to the FLIP and airport charts for KNGZ at MAIW in Woogey's Thread there KNGZ and the Big E. Here is a mediafire link to those charts for all to enjoy.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/l3zeq...harts.zip/file

So glad that he had them because they do not exist online anywhere.

Thanks Richard for the charts. I could not find the old version(s) of Alameda so I am happy to get the flip charts and your latest release. I think when these bases close, the FAA must purge the Airport Diagrams.
    Looking at what overhead images of the base, there is no close up to reveal windsocks. There are sections of unpaved ground where the two runways intersect and I would imagine those areas
    to be prime locations for the socks. Then the lengths of the poles would have to be determined. Perhaps just taking a guess-a-mate.

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    I want to thank Woogey and also hamelers for this info. Since more was lost from my original project than I can imagine (never again all is archived) I am downloading again everything that I discovered I lost. In 2016 when the original was happening, hamelers sent me the link to the FLIP and airport charts for KNGZ at MAIW in Woogey's Thread there KNGZ and the Big E. Here is a mediafire link to those charts for all to enjoy.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/l3zeq...harts.zip/file

So glad that he had them because they do not exist online anywhere.

Members who have read this thread: 126