EGWZ RAF Alconbury?

Thread: EGWZ RAF Alconbury?

EGWZ RAF Alconbury?

I'm curious why EGWZ RAF Alconbury isn't represented in MSFS (at least on my install)? When I pull up it's code, it displays EGWZ as Bucknall Airfield. As far as I know RAF Alconbury is still active...
    Cheers,
    Dave

Now a support base, from WikiP
    Flying operations are no longer based at the site, with most of the land, including the runway, having been sold in 2009 to become the new settlement of Alconbury Weald.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Alconbury

Quote Originally Posted by keithb77 View Post
    Now a support base, from WikiP

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Alconbury
    Hmm, thanks for the info. Kind of a bummer that some of these classic air bases have been decommissioned or reassigned to different roles.
    Cheers,
    Dave

The runway at Alconbury has completely gone now - now housing and commercial buildings for the new village of Alconbury Weald. The main entrance is still there, complete with it’s replica F-5E gate guard. The operational part of the airbase is purely administrative now.
    Another local airbase, RAF Wyton EGUY, still retains its runways but they are no longer used. It is now a tri-service base, mainly for intelligence gathering and admin.
    I used to love going to both bases when they laid on airshows, with Alconbury being a firm favourite.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveKDEN View Post
    Hmm, thanks for the info. Kind of a bummer that some of these classic air bases have been decommissioned or reassigned to different roles.
    The decommissioning was part of the so-called "peace dividend". All that is changing now...

Cheers,

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    The decommissioning was part of the so-called "peace dividend". All that is changing now...

Cheers,

Priller
    Indeed - that's the truth.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DaveKDEN View Post
    I'm curious why EGWZ RAF Alconbury isn't represented in MSFS (at least on my install)? When I pull up it's code, it displays EGWZ as Bucknall Airfield. As far as I know RAF Alconbury is still active...
    Long since closed.

Not Fightsim but the best cheeseburger I ever had was in the Alconbury mess after a 12 hour crash guard watching over the wreckage of that 111Sqn F4 that crashed cause the radome opened, 1980ish I think.
    Norwich, a fine city.

Spent many happy hours at Owl End shooting F-5's, RF-4's, A-10's, TR1's/U-2's and other lovelies on approach plus the BP truck stop over the road was a mega breakfast to set us up...

Members who have read this thread: 96