New RV-4 at ---.to

Thread: New RV-4 at ---.to

New RV-4 at ---.to

Nicely modeled by "deejing" and pretty fun to fly...

https://flightsim.to/file/70930/van-s-rv-4
    Cheers,
    Dave

Looks like a fun little Grand Canyon runner! I'll have to get this one.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Yep - looks like you definitely get more than your money's worth on this one!

Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

How Can You Not Want a FREE Van's Aircraft?

'Nuff said. Going to fly it within the next hour.
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Great Freeware

I have both the RV-8 and RV-14 payware. Of course the RV-14 is 5 out of 5. The RV-8, 4 out of 5. This RV-4 is 4.5 out of 5. 3 flap positions, moving map, look and feel of an RV-4 are all positives. Panel, switches and stick could use a little more love, however, still a fine piece of freeware. (Apply rudder on takeoff, don't use too much brake on landing.) Have fun.
    Jay
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Quote Originally Posted by rvn817j View Post
    I have both the RV-8 and RV-14 payware. Of course the RV-14 is 5 out of 5. The RV-8, 4 out of 5. This RV-4 is 4.5 out of 5. 3 flap positions, moving map, look and feel of an RV-4 are all positives. Panel, switches and stick could use a little more love, however, still a fine piece of freeware. (Apply rudder on takeoff, don't use too much brake on landing.) Have fun.
    Curious if you mean the RV-10 payware from SWS, or the RV-8 from Terrainy? That one was a sad situation. I paid for it but had to uninstall it as it broke the radios in other planes. Also very underpowered. But the great news is that SWS is getting close to finishing their own RV-8. It's my favorite RV so I'm very excited for it.

Quote Originally Posted by LostPilot View Post
    Curious if you mean the RV-10 payware from SWS, or the RV-8 from Terrainy? That one was a sad situation. I paid for it but had to uninstall it as it broke the radios in other planes. Also very underpowered. But the great news is that SWS is getting close to finishing their own RV-8. It's my favorite RV so I'm very excited for it.
    No and yes. The RV-14 from SWS and the RV-8 from Terrainy. I don't follow your statement about being under-powered. Do you not like the speed in level flight, is the climb performance not what you think it should be or something else? Each Van's aircraft is custom: various power plants, various propellers, minuscule differences in the air foils, intersection fairing differences, CG variances, etc., etc.

Take for example my RW RV-8. I have an O-360 powerplant (normally 180 HP) with high compression pistons and a experimental oil pan that provides improved airflow from the carburetor. My engine, although not bench tested for power, should put out more than 190 HP. If I had a constant speed, variable pitch propeller, that increased HP would likely increase my speed in level flight. I have a 3 blade, composite fixed pitch propeller. 3 blades have a tendency to be slower than 2 blade props (but they look faster on the ground). If I recall correctly the Terrainy RV-8 has a 3 blade prop.

Long story made short...a couple mph is difficult to account for and you have to know which RW aircraft the MSFS aircraft was modeled after.
    Jay

Downloaded this straight after watching the AvAngel review. One of the interesting comments states that "Deejing is also working with SWS on their RV8".

Just my kind of plane. Low and slow, with great visibility, and FREE.
    "There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss"
    — Douglas Adams, 'The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy'

Quote Originally Posted by rvn817j View Post
    Long story made short...a couple mph is difficult to account for and you have to know which RW aircraft the MSFS aircraft was modeled after.
    It was an odd situation, but I was a beta tester for Terrainy on the RV8 and it was after the main functional testing was done (myself just focusing on core functionality and usability) that the power issues were identified by another couple of testers who I assumed had more familiarity with the one being modeled. Terrainy was already mid-release, briefly pulled it from the store, but then put it backed and acknowledged the performance issue and said a patch was coming (it never came.) I don't have personal experience with the one they modeled but the complaints seemed well-enough founded. Maybe they weren't, but at this point I can't use it as it corrupts the radios in many other aircraft for me (it overlays Com 1 and Com 2 in the com 2 spot, same with nav, very weird bug that I can create just by installing the addon.) I do remember really liking the addon overall! It seems Terrainy has already left aircraft development behind after that experience, but I'd love at least a patch for the weird radio bug.

Back to the RV-4, just grabbed it and wow! Looks great, and the flight modeling feels top-notch. (Having never flown a real RV-4, it's convincing at least.) Threw myself into a spin at an altitude that was too low to be doing such things and barely recovered in time.

Nice follow-on to Deejing's RV-7. Very cool he's involved with the SWS RV-8; cool to see freeware devs get pulled into projects where their skills can make things even better!

Members who have read this thread: 146