Meta's Quest 3

Thread: Meta's Quest 3

Blog Entries

Meta's Quest 3

My HP G2 VR headset expired two weeks ago. Thinking that it may be the fiber optics cable, I ordered a new one. No joy, it wasn’t the cable.

After reading up on AVSIM about the current crop of VR headsets, I ordered a 512 GB version of the Meta Quest 3. After using it briefly in MSFS I am impressed. The technology leap from the G2 to the Q 3 is significant. I especially like the wireless ability and its greater FOV.

The last two nights I have used its wireless ability to sit in a recliner and watch two sessions of Star Tech’s Picard. It was like sitting in an IMAX theater.

With the new headset I am able to get rid of Microsoft’s Mixed Reality, a program I never liked. Today, I plan on getting the headset to work with DCS.

I have not measured frame rates. The brief flight I took showed no stuttering or pauses. The view was clear and I could easily read the gauges. That is all I ask.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Also very happy with my Quest 3.
    For me and for many best results are wireless through Virtual Desktop, but some prefer the cable route, and you can go wireless for free through Oculus Airlink, or Steam Link.

Yeah, I was about to pop in with the Virtual Desktop recommendation. Definitely seems to give the best visuals/performance when running MSFS wirelessly, since you can fine-tune for your system's performance.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    Yeah, I was about to pop in with the Virtual Desktop recommendation. Definitely seems to give the best visuals/performance when running MSFS wirelessly, since you can fine-tune for your system's performance.
    Yes, I like the virtual desktop. I use two computers. One is my everyday computer and the other is reserved for flight sims and a couple games. Today, I watched a YouTube video from the everyday computer while sitting in the flight sim cockpit.

I flew the PC-21 by Iris over Glacier Nat. Park today with high settings. I had no issues. I did somehow turn on the night mode and the colors were a bit too warm. I need to figure how to change it back.

I didn't get DCS running in VR mode. I get to the mountain grid scene and it just stays there. I am sure it is something simple. I just have to figure it out.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive

It's good that you joined the Quest 3 owners, it's currently the best goggle in terms of price/quality ratio.
    About FOV - no, its near the same like G2, its your placebo . the difference is basically only between 6-10 degrees, it is practically unnoticeable. The noticeable difference would be as the FOV was 130 degrees vs 100 with the G2 for example.
    I'm only on Link cable. Data transfer via WiFi causes compression and then decomposition of what affects the quality of textures and also speed, however I didnt test Virtual desktop, just Air link. Another problem with Air link is the limited data transfer (up to 250 Mbps) and the use of only the H265 codec. That's why I also prefer to use cable, just like with G2, which has much better parameters (up to 960, so almost 4 times more).Certainly, the biggest advantage is simply the lenses, the pan cakes are great, the tracking is also better than the G2 (no need light in the room even), but it should also be noted that with the Quest 3/Pro there is no revolution compared to the G2, only evolution and tuning to be fair.

Additionally, I use Oculus Tray Tool because ODT does not remember the settings. Oculus still has a lot of work to do.
    The downside is understanding the entire Oculus system/software in terms of settings and too many options, its 5x more than with WMR (and HP Reverb) and not everyone is able to cope with it at the beginning. You can get lost with too many options.
    Another downside of Quest 3 vs G2 is its battery capacity. This is generally completely unnecessary for us, people who play simulators (on the chair). I have Quest Pro myself and they have an larger battery, enough for ... 7-8 hours of gaming, usually after a flight that lasted 2-3 hours I still have 90-80% (so its very ok), but my friend who has Quest 3 loses the battery after 3 hours of non stop playing. 3 hours with the case, which is not enough, even though its on cable. It also depends on the motherboard and possibility of charging the goggles via cable.

So there are pros and cons, but this change is definitely a step forward.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    It's good that you joined the Quest 3 owners, it's currently the best goggle in terms of price/quality ratio.
    About FOV - no, its near the same like G2, its your placebo . the difference is basically only between 6-10 degrees, it is practically unnoticeable. The noticeable difference would be as the FOV was 130 degrees vs 100 with the G2 for example.
    I'm only on Link cable. Data transfer via WiFi causes compression and then decomposition of what affects the quality of textures and also speed, however I didnt test Virtual desktop, just Air link. Another problem with Air link is the limited data transfer (up to 250 Mbps) and the use of only the H265 codec. That's why I also prefer to use cable, just like with G2, which has much better parameters (up to 960, so almost 4 times more).Certainly, the biggest advantage is simply the lenses, the pan cakes are great, the tracking is also better than the G2 (no need light in the room even), but it should also be noted that with the Quest 3/Pro there is no revolution compared to the G2, only evolution and tuning to be fair.

Additionally, I use Oculus Tray Tool because ODT does not remember the settings. Oculus still has a lot of work to do.
    The downside is understanding the entire Oculus system/software in terms of settings and too many options, its 5x more than with WMR (and HP Reverb) and not everyone is able to cope with it at the beginning. You can get lost with too many options.
    Another downside of Quest 3 vs G2 is its battery capacity. This is generally completely unnecessary for us, people who play simulators (on the chair). I have Quest Pro myself and they have an larger battery, enough for ... 7-8 hours of gaming, usually after a flight that lasted 2-3 hours I still have 90-80% (so its very ok), but my friend who has Quest 3 loses the battery after 3 hours of non stop playing. 3 hours with the case, which is not enough, even though its on cable. It also depends on the motherboard and possibility of charging the goggles via cable.

So there are pros and cons, but this change is definitely a step forward.
    I may have misspoken or gotten my abbreviations wrong. By FOV I was referring to the area that is in focus. With the G2 I had to look directly at something to bring it into focus. it seems like the Quest 3 is pretty much in focus edge to edge.

I agree fully with you on the complexity of the software. I am still trying to remember what does what, how.

When I bought the headset I also bout a Bobovr M3 Pro head strap which came with an extra battery. So far, it has given me plenty of battery time. Besides, I rarely ever fly more than a hour or so. I am not into long x-country flights. If we are going to make this realistic, I have to remember that I may age I need bathroom breaks. So, I land.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    I may have misspoken or gotten my abbreviations wrong. By FOV I was referring to the area that is in focus. With the G2 I had to look directly at something to bring it into focus. it seems like the Quest 3 is pretty much in focus edge to edge.
    Yes, this is one of the biggest advantages thanks to Pancake lenses, G2 has Fresnel lens.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Members who have read this thread: 81