Masters of the Air

Thread: Masters of the Air

Masters of the Air

On Apple TV+ About 8th. USAAF 100 Bomb Gp which was also on the Schweinfurt raid. See also on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...rs+of+the+air+ So far seen Episode 1. Looks good. I might take a slight diversion from TOW and look again at the Schweinfurt Regensberg missions. I was alreday looking at how to do the correct box formations in CFS3; not that simple.

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

I have been watching it as well. I think they may have got some markings wrong. I noticed one episode a Fort had the star and bars. I think that is a bit too early, can't remember when they switched.

But overall its been an okay series so far. Band of Brothers and Pacific set the bar pretty high for Hanks and Spielberg to match.
    Game Rig(Nalu): AMD 4800+ 64x2, Asus A8N-SLI Premium, Silverstone 560W, 1Gx4 Corsair Twin2048, 2x Asus EN7900GTX SLI, 4xWD 74G 10Krpm Sata II RAID0, Audigy 4, Trackir4, ch pedals & yoke, db XPPro x64/Vista
    HTPC(BossHog): Intel P3.0GHz Prescott E, Asus P4P800-E Deluxe, Toughpower 700W, 1Gx2 Samsung DDR, AOpen 6600GT AGP, 2x80G IDESeagate Cavier RAID1, HighPoint Rocket Raid 2220, 6x 400G Sata Seagate Baracuda Raid5, 2x500g Seagate JBOD, XP Media Center 2005

I've seen people bashing the acting etc in the series, but I love it overall. Considering they only had 1 B-17 during filming, the overall bombing mission scenes are probably as realistic as We'll ever see. The CGI is very polished as well.....

This is my favourite veterans testimony, Bennet Dewayne, a brilliant recounting of his time as a B17 bomber pilot. No ego or Hollywood bs, just an amazing story told by a remarkable individual. I watch this often.

https://youtu.be/RqfIIzi5_4k

An excellent 'primer' to watch before tackling MOTA is the 1943 documentary "Target For Today", produced by the USAAF. It describes in detail the planning and execution of a "Maximum Effort" raid by the 8th AF attacking multiple Targets in East Prussia, October 1943. Many tidbits of information, like how the bombers assemble from Takeoff to forming the Combat Box, etc. It does a great job explaining many of the things you'll see in MOTA​.

https://youtu.be/4A0zhSP2-tc?si=VgaSRHVJDmyeiQjV

Members +
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingskull5000 View Post
    I've seen people bashing the acting etc in the series, but I love it overall. Considering they only had 1 B-17 during filming, the overall bombing mission scenes are probably as realistic as We'll ever see. The CGI is very polished as well.....
    They had 2 non-flying replicas that they built for the show, plus various cockpits they made for the close-up shots, with movable walls to get the camera work done.
    All the air shots were shot in the studio, with the sets surrounded with LED panels that was used as a backdrop on set, and which displayed videos & images in real time. That's called 'On set virtual production' and was first used in the filming of 'The Mandalorian'.

It was used to simulate being in the sky, then CGI was used to add in other elements, such as other planes & explosions.

Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Wyler flew on five missions to make his films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTRnv3ctzec
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Decided to re watch 12 o'clock High. Some rate it as the best for aerial combat, but in fact not much except for the Schweifurt raid. Excellent for characters and the pressure especially in 1942-43 on the crews and ground staff.

Members who have read this thread: 47