Sim Load Time

Thread: Sim Load Time

Sim Load Time

Hi, all! Quick question - how long a wait do you have for the sim to load once you click the Sim icon until you arrive at the welcome screen? Thanks for some input!

Don BP

Quote Originally Posted by Bushpounder View Post
    Hi, all! Quick question - how long a wait do you have for the sim to load once you click the Sim icon until you arrive at the welcome screen? Thanks for some input!

Don BP

Well, a lot depends on how many add-ons are loading, how fast your CPU/GPU are, how much RAM, etc... I use Add-on Linker, and have a lot of sceneries that require certain libraries of airport objects, and that slows things down. So I guess one can't just say how long it takes because there are so many variables. For me, the average is about 2-3 minutes. Sometimes a bit longer. NC

Around 10 minutes for me. As the Chief says, it depends on how bloated my Community folder is at the moment.

August

Quote Originally Posted by K5083 View Post
    Around 10 minutes for me. As the Chief says, it depends on how bloated my Community folder is at the moment.

August
    Why don't you do like i do :

You could change JAN to AUG and Bob's your uncle

I have a MSFSPackages icon on my desktop. I change the contents of 'Community' quite a lot. Sometimes i'm only interested in just a couple of aircraft for a while, sometimes even just one or two. Makes quite a difference in loading time ! I just cut & paste them between the Community folder and the JANCommunity_X or JANOfficial folders. Beautiful ! No longer wading thru all of my MSFS aircraft models when i want to go for a ride (i have most of the freeware models and about 75% of payware)

Try it, you'll like it, i'm sure.

Thanks for the info everyone. Javis, I like the idea of running lean on the main Community folder. Right now I am at 15 minutes from Icon click to the Welcome screen, and that seems an awfully long time.

Don

Jan, I use a mod manager, and my Community folder at any given time contains shortcuts to nowhere near my 2800+ pool of total mods. Yet still, it has a lot. I am not good at deciding what I want to fly and where before starting the sim, so I always load a lot more addons than what I need - I just don't know which ones they will be. I'm using a real disc and not an SSD too, so that doesn't help.

On occasions when I am installing an update and therefore have temporarily replaced my Community folder with an empty dummy one, it's still a good 5 minutes to load.

It's no problem, I use the loading time to get a coffee, or if I'm feeling daring and willing to risk a GPU crash, even check in on YouTube while waiting.

August

Quote Originally Posted by Bushpounder View Post
    Thanks for the info everyone. Javis, I like the idea of running lean on the main Community folder. Right now I am at 15 minutes from Icon click to the Welcome screen, and that seems an awfully long time.

Don
    Wow! Those are FS95 Times !

In my setup the Official folder is always the biggest (atm around 440 GB) against an average hangar content of 70/80 GB for my Community folder. You could just create an empty Community folder and rename your current Community to BushCommunity and see about those 15 minutes then.

Quote Originally Posted by K5083 View Post
    Jan, I use a mod manager, and my Community folder at any given time contains shortcuts to nowhere near my 2800+ pool of total mods. Yet still, it has a lot. I am not good at deciding what I want to fly and where before starting the sim, so I always load a lot more addons than what I need - I just don't know which ones they will be. I'm using a real disc and not an SSD too, so that doesn't help.
    Aha, Ok ! Yes, i sure know about these manager/hangar mods but i always prefer simple handy work so i can keep good track of what's going on behind the scenes. ;-)

On occasions when I am installing an update and therefore have temporarily replaced my Community folder with an empty dummy one, it's still a good 5 minutes to load.
    Yes, if you're waiting for something that still can be an annoying long time but it's not so bad neither.

It's no problem, I use the loading time to get a coffee, or if I'm feeling daring and willing to risk a GPU crash, even check in on YouTube while waiting.
    Exactly what i'm doing. Trouble is that sometimes i forget about MSFS loading because the video is so interesting.

I'm not sure but after that latest Dune update i had a feeling that the loading time seemed much longer all of a sudden. Seems to have gone again now, back to normal sort of.. For what we get with MSFS i am absolutely happy with the loading time !

There are a number of tutorials on Youtube about reducing MSFS load times. This is a recent one I've been looking at, with lots of interesting suggestions
    (including Addon Linker):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIQXv0k0Zvc

Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    There are a number of tutorials on Youtube about reducing MSFS load times. This is a recent one I've been looking at, with lots of interesting suggestions

Great suggestions in this video! I ended up removing quite a bit of things in MSFS that I just didn't use. Also, the fast launch .exe that he suggests helps through bypassing a couple of animations at launch.
    Cheers,
    Dave

MSFS Addons Linker is your friend. I have presets for GA, Military, tubeliner, and "all" planes. I have regional collection such as western US, Europe, Central America, etc. It's about a 30-second process to select the planes, general add-ons, and region I'll be flying that session and the sim loads about 3x faster than if I tried to load everything I've downloaded. It's only a pain if I'm flying around Hawaii and suddently decide to check out Portugal -- I'll be using default scenery unless I jump out and reconfigure in Addons Linker. (But that's a rare scenario.)

Also makes things more stable, as there's less chance of conflicting add-ons.

And of course, fast internal SSD makes a huge difference.

Although I'm between sims right now, and patiently waiting for the new sim engine in FS2024 to arrive, "Addons Linker" will be near the top of my 'must have' list.

Very easy to activate/deactivate addons, handy when preparing for sim updates, and easy management of huge #'s of addons which may occupy several drives.

Hundreds of thousands of downloads so far, and counting.

Thank-you to DennyA, who had pointed me in this direction a while back, as I have multiple drives set aside for MSFS2024, and it all makes perfect sim management sense !
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

I use ModManX, just because I learned of it before Addon Linker, and it does all the same things and works well also. The problem is, once you are up to a couple thousand addons, ModManX itself takes several minutes to load! So I don't think it saves me much time, but it is a big help with other aspects of addon management.

August

Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post

Thanks for the link, Rob. I might wanna try some of that.

Members who have read this thread: 85