T-38a and F-86 Freeware
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T-38a and F-86 Freeware

T-38a and F-86 Freeware

Just a heads up - Ryan Sundheimer over at the Military Aircraft & Scenery FB Group has released an OEM approved port-over of the MILVIZ T-38A Talon from FSX. Before anyone moans - some switches are not clickable - but it is apparently VR useable.

Mod edit - now available to public: https://flightsim.to/file/69888/milv...ive-conversion

F-86 Download: https://flightsim.to/file/64410/milv...ive-conversion
    Last edited by Tom Clayton; February 28th, 2024 at 10:13.

Quote Originally Posted by collensr View Post
    Just a heads up - Ryan Sundheimer over at the Military Aircraft & Scenery FB Group has released an OEM approved port-over of the MILVIZ T-38A Talon from FSX. Before anyone moans - some switches are not clickable - but it is apparently VR useable.
    Thanks for the heads up!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

It is indeed VR usable, and very nice, thanks for the heads-up.
    The F4 Phantom at the same site is also now VR usable and also very nice (much improved from the initial release).

Between them these two will keep me busy until the Tornado is out

Only problem so far is that the canopy on both aircraft is open until you take-off then closes itself on take-off, and opens again on touch-down.

Quote Originally Posted by keithb77 View Post
    It is indeed VR usable, and very nice, thanks for the heads-up.
    The F4 Phantom at the same site is also now VR usable and also very nice (much improved from the initial release).

Between them these two will keep me busy until the Tornado is out

Only problem so far is that the canopy on both aircraft is open until you take-off then closes itself on take-off, and opens again on touch-down.
    Keith - I haven't had time to download it yet - I really liked this model in FSX.

On the canopy front I did fly backseat in a 'Shamu' T-38A at Vance for a photoshoot back in the day. I remember how we had to close our own canopies at the hold short. I could not believe how smooth the jet was as we climbed out of Vance. My IP pilot was a former B-52 driver.

The T38 cockpit isn't clickable (a condition of Milviz allowing the port I believe) so you can't click on anything to close it, I don't think MSFS has a key command to close canopies...but I think it's something built into the models anyway.

Not a huge problem, but it was amusing to bounce a carrier (haven't got the F4 tailhook down yet either) and see the canopy pop open on contact then immediately close again as I boltered

Nice story re the T38 flight, closest I've done is a full-motion F4 simulator (ex-RAF simulator, ex-US Navy cockpit) that cockpit was closed by the simulation operator.

Thank you for the heads up. The lack of VR usability kept me away from the Sabre, but I will try out the Talon for sure.

August

Quote Originally Posted by collensr View Post
    Keith - I haven't had time to download it yet - I really liked this model in FSX.

On the canopy front I did fly backseat in a 'Shamu' T-38A at Vance for a photoshoot back in the day. I remember how we had to close our own canopies at the hold short. I could not believe how smooth the jet was as we climbed out of Vance. My IP pilot was a former B-52 driver.
    Hey Keith, the canopy is tied to the taxi light with the gear down on the ground. I have the taxi light mapped to a button on my stick base. You can switch it off when taking the runway to close the canopy.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by keithb77 View Post
    The T38 cockpit isn't clickable (a condition of Milviz allowing the port I believe) so you can't click on anything to close it, I don't think MSFS has a key command to close canopies...but I think it's something built into the models anyway.

Not a huge problem, but it was amusing to bounce a carrier (haven't got the F4 tailhook down yet either) and see the canopy pop open on contact then immediately close again as I boltered

Nice story re the T38 flight, closest I've done is a full-motion F4 simulator (ex-RAF simulator, ex-US Navy cockpit) that cockpit was closed by the simulation operator.
    As Dave mentioned, the canopies are bound to taxi lights but will auto-close if you leave the ground. I have tried to keep this consistent across the conversions I have done so I actually bound my taxi lights to Shift E, the exit command from FSX.

The tailhook is controlled by the built-in tailhook key assignment (whatever you have it bound to) but I don't think the nodes are positioned correctly to trap. I have not done much on the carriers myself so I haven't gotten there. If anyone works out better code for it I'm happy to include it. Wing fold also works on the built-in command. Both animations are actually mapped to lights so they will be visible in multiplayer once SU15 comes out. I will update the weapons then also.

Most of this is explained in the readme file - always worth a read

I have a native cockpit for the F-86 ready, just haven't posted it yet.

Glad to see people enjoying it!

Again with this FB .

A quick check today and I believe the only A model T-38's currently in 'military' service are :

Beale (BB) - U2 pilot currency training using the "Roper" or "Aspen" call signs
    Eglin (TY) - the 2 FTS jets moved from Tyndall after the Hurricane and they were still at Eglin supporting F-35 training when I visited last year
    NASA Ellington - astronaut currency/logistics
    Langley (FF) - reserve jets callsign "MiG" - training resource for the F-22's.

At one time the US Navy Test Pilot school operated them but not sure now

Quote Originally Posted by DaveKDEN View Post
    Hey Keith, the canopy is tied to the taxi light with the gear down on the ground. I have the taxi light mapped to a button on my stick base. You can switch it off when taking the runway to close the canopy.
    That explains it thanks, the Taxi Light switch on my Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant is obviously causing my problem.

Most of this is explained in the readme file - always worth a read
    No time to read when there's a Phantom to fly

Quote Originally Posted by Spook48 View Post
    Again with this FB .
    I have FB but I'm not a member of this group.

Cees

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    I have FB but I'm not a member of this group.

Cees
    I don't do FB at all but is this group hard to join ?

Danny, check your pm's x2!

Cees, U2

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Quote Originally Posted by K5083 View Post
    Thank you for the heads up. The lack of VR usability kept me away from the Sabre, but I will try out the Talon for sure.

August
    For all of the VR users: all ported Milviz models by Ryan are fully compatible with VR. One of the conditions of Milviz was though that not everything is clickable and not every instrument is functional Most gauges work though.

Completely legit, because everything is done with the consent of Milviz/Blackbird so I've been told.

Cheers,

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Blog Entries
    Easy to join their Facebook group, they seem quite welcoming. They even have the Milviz Phantom's available, always a favorite of mine in P3D.

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    For all of the VR users: all ported Milviz models by Ryan are fully compatible with VR. One of the conditions of Milviz was though that not everything is clickable and not every instrument is functional Most gauges work though.
    That is not my understanding. One of the other threads says that the Sabre uses old FSX/P3D MDL files which crash VR as soon as you load the plane. If I'm wrong, or if Ryan posts an update, I'll be an enthusiastic user.

I agree with Spook48, Facebook is trash but it is worth jumping in quickly just for these toys.

August

Love flying the Talon. Sports car with wings.

Didn't much like pulling their ejection seats though. Heavy. NC

Is there a public download link?
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    Is there a public download link?

It is now on Flightsim.to

That is not my understanding. One of the other threads says that the Sabre uses old FSX/P3D MDL files which crash VR as soon as you load the plane. If I'm wrong, or if Ryan posts an update, I'll be an enthusiastic user.

I agree with Spook48, Facebook is trash but it is worth jumping in quickly just for these toys.

August
    Ryan posted an update of the Sabre, which is why I said that it's now fully native and thus VR compatible. I wasn't lying.

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    It is now on Flightsim.to
    Link added to OP and thread stuck.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

August
    I posted the updated (fully native) Sabre today as well. I haven't had much chance to test fly it since I updated the model, but it should work fine. I do know that this update breaks some of the add-on liveries that others put out for it because they copied the (now outdated) model folder into their own package instead of referencing the aircraft. Not much I can do about that, hopefully they update their files soon.

Thanks Ryan. I couldn't tell from Priller's post that he was heads-upping us about an update a few hours ago, but whatever, I'm eager to try the plane. Was flying it in P3dv5 this weekend, always a favorite.

August

Quote Originally Posted by SeeRyFly View Post
    I posted the updated (fully native) Sabre today as well. I haven't had much chance to test fly it since I updated the model, but it should work fine. I do know that this update breaks some of the add-on liveries that others put out for it because they copied the (now outdated) model folder into their own package instead of referencing the aircraft. Not much I can do about that, hopefully they update their files soon.
    Hey Ryan, I didn't know you were a member here as well. Once again, thanks for the work you've put into these models.
    Cheers
    Cheers,
    Dave

Members who have read this thread: 228