Hall PH-3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hall PH-3

Hall PH-3

Would anyone be aware off or be willing to do a USN/USCG skin for Mike stones Hall PH-3 flying boat? Just read a very nice article of this aircraft in "AIR CLASSICS" magazine. The only one I can find is for Avionic Aéronautique!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hall PH Flying Boat 4.png  
    Do not fear the enemy, for they can take only your life. Fear the media far more, for they will destroy your honour.

That screen shot (if it is a screenie???) looks like the bottoms of the top wing are light gray, as they should be. Or does it just look like that in the image because the the lighting and shadows???

I ask because back when Mike first released it, I painted it in pre-war Coast Guard colors, and in the process I found a fatal mapping glitch. It was impossible to paint the upper wings yellow without having one of the undersides turn yellow, so the only way to avoid an a symmetrical paint job was to paint both the top and bottom of the upper wing yellow. Drat!

This was near the end of Mike's model making - or at least model sharing. I popped him a message on his web site alerting him to the glitch but one of his buddies intercepted it and replied, telling me that the glitch had been fixed in the latest version. Wrong! I followed the instructions he provided to download the latest version and the glitch had not been fixed. Double drat! Or could it be that I just wasn't directed to the latest version but to an older, un-fixed one?

If there is a version that allows both left and right upper wings to be different colors I would be more than happy to correct my old paint job and update it if it doesn't meet my current standards. Do you have such a model? I hope so!

Hi Mick. It looks like a VERY light gray or white to me. I found these great period photos here: https://inchhighguy.wordpress.com/20...r-photographs/

The version I have was Repainted by Jean-Jacques Parel. Both wings are the same color here though. I didn't see your skin, was it here?

I D/L the plane from here: https://www.surclaro.com/fsdownload-detail-12403.html
    Do not fear the enemy, for they can take only your life. Fear the media far more, for they will destroy your honour.

Quote Originally Posted by stoney View Post
    Hi Mick. It looks like a VERY light gray or white to me. I found these great period photos here: https://inchhighguy.wordpress.com/20...r-photographs/

The version I have was Repainted by Jean-Jacques Parel. Both wings are the same color here though. I didn't see your skin, was it here?

I D/L the plane from here: https://www.surclaro.com/fsdownload-detail-12403.html
    I downloaded from that site and checked the model file and it's the original - it has the same created date as the one I downloaded lo so many years ago. So it has the same mapping glitch where one of the lower wing surfaces takes its color from that wing's upper surface texture (or maybe the other way 'round.) So we can't have the upper and lower sides of the upper wing different colors. That rules out an accurate skin for a pre-war Coast Guard plane, or any early- or mid-war Navy scheme. Overall dark sea blue could be done but I'm pretty sure the PH was retired before the Navy started painting seaplanes in overall dark sea blue.

I just looked to see if my skin is in the library here and couldn't find it. That's how old it is - I've put everything I've done up here for decades! In fact, other than my collaborations with David I haven't put anything up anywhere else for many years. But I found it on FlightSim. "Search for Hall PH" it will offer you something like 375 hits but you then have the option of asking for "exact phrase" and then you just get three hits - the original model, my skin and the one you found.

Found it Mick, page 6. Thanks. Seems like a plane with bags of character and useful wartime service and I rather like the second line aircraft anyway.

Stoney,
    What you need is the 'real' thing....

A little pressie for you, I'm starting a new thread, go see.

Cheers

Shessi
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hall PH-3 1.jpg  

Hall PH-3 USCG flying boat for Fs9.

Hi Folks,
    One of those long forgotten projects that I had hidden away. Stoney reminded me with his original post. I dug it out, re-vamped/modified it to create both versions, added in a modified appropriate VC. Will be uploaded soon after testers have had a go.

I'll also upload a couple of extra texs and a template for you to do your own tex.

Cheers

Shessi
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hall PH-3 1.jpg   Hall PH-3 3.jpg   Hall PH-3 4.jpg   Hall PH-3 CG 1.jpg   Hall PH-3 CG 2.jpg   Hall PH-3 CG 4.jpg  

Members +
    Thanks, Shessi, looking forward to this!!
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Excellent!

At first glance I thought I might l have to update my old pre-WW2 U.S. Coast Guard skin.

But it looks like you've already got that livery covered.

OH heck yeah!! I think this was such a cool plane, just bags of character.

Looks nice Shessi. It also reminds me I should get the dust from the Stanrear. as I haven't flown that one for a long time.

Cheers,
    Huub

Huub,
    Yes, I do like the old flying boats and floatplanes, and the Stranraer is a good one.

Cheers

Shessi

Hall PH-3 Coastguard

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category FS9

Description: A US Coastguard 1930's and WWII flying boat. Used for patrol duties and anti submarine patrols off the coasts of the US until 1944.

Shessi

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Hall PH-3 Coastguard
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Hall PH-3

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category FS9

Description: A US Coastguard 1930's and WWII flying boat, this fully armed version being used for anti submarine patrol duties off the US coastline.

Shessi

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Hall PH-3

Hall PH-3 extra textures

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category FS 2004 Military skins - World War II

Description: Two extra textures for the US Coastguard Hall PH-3 flying boat, one for the unarmed and one for the WWII armed version.

Shessi

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Hall PH-3 extra textures

Many thanks Shessi for these beautifully done 'boats!

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Excellent!
    At first glance I thought I might l have to update my old pre-WW2 U.S. Coast Guard skin.
    But it looks like you've already got that livery covered.
    When Shessi sent me the PH-3's for testing I thought he had responded to your previous post about the texture mapping glitch on Mike Stone's USCG PH and reworked it. Then I realized it was a whole different airplane that he had ported over from IL-2. The bow gunner, depth charges, and user-friendly texture mapping are big improvements.

SOH-CM-2024

Icon26 Hall PH-3

Hi Shessi ,

I was wondering if we could maybe get a CFS2 version as my current model is very dated .

No pressure!! Just an enquiry .

Thanks ,

Members +
    Thanks, Shessi, for keeping FS2004 alive. Even after 20 years, we can still get some great planes.

Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Excellent!

One pre-war Navy squadron flew the PH, VP-8, from late 1932 to early 1937. I may be compelled to take an hour off from the current project to whip up a skin.

One pre-war Navy squadron flew the PH, VP-8, from late 1932 to early 1937. I may be compelled to take an hour off from the current project to whip up a skin.
    A Navy paint job in addition to Shessi's USCG paints would be much appreciated. You always do a great job on the prewar "yellow wing" schemes.

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    A Navy paint job in addition to Shessi's USCG paints would be much appreciated. You always do a great job on the prewar "yellow wing" schemes.
    That'll get done soon but maybe not for a few days. Aside from being deep into my current project with David, this morning we were treated to a Windows 10 update, and like so many Windows updates it really screwed up my confutor. I spent a good portion of my available desk time figuring out and redoing some settings. I yearn for the day MS tells us that W10 will no longer be supported and we'll get no more updates except perhaps some security ones that apply to all Windows versions. And I won't care of there are no more security updates either. I have nothing against Windows Defender but it's a Microsoft product and I would never leave it to be only or primary security program.

I yearn for the day MS tells us that W10 will no longer be supported and we'll get no more updates except perhaps some security ones that apply to all Windows versions. And I won't care of there are no more security updates either.
    I agree, Mick... I've felt that way about MS updates since Win 7. They remind me of those videos of metal crusher machines where they keep throwing engine blocks and other heavy stuff into the hopper until something jams it.

TI yearn for the day MS tells us that W10 will no longer be supported and we'll get no more updates except perhaps some security ones that apply to all Windows versions.
    That will be in 2025.

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Members who have read this thread: 90