2024 Server Upgrades
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2024 Server Upgrades

2024 Server Upgrades

This will be a big year for SOH full of lots of changes. The time has come for us to say good bye to vBulletin and our current hosting company.

Many of you remember the server upgrade that took place a few years ago. In that case the upgrade went so well many users did not know it had been done. We can't count on that happening again. At the very least you will have to reset your password by receiving the password reset email. To do this everyone must make sure their email address is current. I know many are not.

In the coming days we are going to trim down the user database. If you have not activated your account with the activation email please do. This group of users is over 10,000 persons. Most of which we know very well are just bots that registered with bogus email addresses. A very few are lurkers who chose not to activate. Activate today because your account may not be here tomorrow. Of course you could also join again after we delete those accounts.

We are also going to wipe out a number of the old member accounts that how zero posts and have not logged in for X years. We are still discussing what that time frame should look like. The member user group is over 45,000 accounts.

As part of our database clean up we will be shutting off the forum software to generate a backup prior to making any mass changes to the data. This could mean the forums might be off for longer periods of time than any of us are used to.

More updates to follow as we are ready to release details.

What out for the notifications. If anything pressing is updated in this thread we will use the forum announcement function to tell you to check this thread.

We cleaned out over 8,000 members who never activated their account and have not logged on for 2 years. If you find you were one of these users please feel free to register again. I can safely say most of these accounts were just bots that registered in the hopes of spamming the forums. *** Update 2/23/2024 I further picked at this usergroup and cleaned out the list until I had only 142 left.

Now we are working on 45,000 "Members" (not Member+ or any other usergroup) who have never posted and again not logged in for 10 years. That will likely tighten as I go through the list. *** Update 2/23/2024 this group we were able to trim down to 36,934. Pretty much if you had never posted and had not logged on for 9 years I removed the account. If you find your account is no longer there feel free to register again. Although I feel I can trim this group some more I don't have a desire to. We have more important tasks to complete.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Looks like you are going the flightsim.com route!
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Looks like it was quite fortuitous for me that I decided to check back in late last month.

Wheels

2024 Server Upgrades

Please,
    do not make the same faults/ mistakes as they did at flightsim.com.
    In the navy we said, never change a well working engine, and never touch an engine which runs well !
    I will not denie progress - but I' m sure that flightsim.com lost a lot of people by doing what they have done!
    They have done things so complicated that with my old pc (I' m sure I' m not the only one to use old steam powered pc) I can no longer
    upload stuff to them. And I really will not turn to other forums
    Here at SOH I found a nice community with a well working forum.
    If you change that and make the things like flightsim com that would be sad, very sad.
    Best regards
    Michael Vader

Quote Originally Posted by michaelvader View Post
    Please,
    do not make the same faults/ mistakes as they did at flightsim.com.
    In the navy we said, never change a well working engine, and never touch an engine which runs well !
    I will not denie progress - but I' m sure that flightsim.com lost a lot of people by doing what they have done!
    They have done things so complicated that with my old pc (I' m sure I' m not the only one to use old steam powered pc) I can no longer
    upload stuff to them. And I really will not turn to other forums
    Here at SOH I found a nice community with a well working forum.
    If you change that and make the things like flightsim com that would be sad, very sad.
    Best regards
    Michael Vader

Old sailors stick up for each other, and I'll "second" Michael's post.

Granted, you folks need to run this joint. That's a "given".
    Still, there's really no reason for me to go back to Flightsim.com.
    Its like they don't want me around on their forum or to check how my downloads are doing.
    Last week, I wanted to buy some old payware from their store but my money doesn't work over there.
    Fair enough, they sold their soul for MSFS where only Whales need apply. That was their call to make once Nels stepped away.
    Which is why I'm posting over here, now.

So, I guess my message is this: Do what you gotta do but PLEASE, don't screw it up.

Dave,

What forum software do you plan on using? If I may ask of course!

Cheers,

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by Sbob View Post
    Old sailors stick up for each other, and I'll "second" Michael's post.

Granted, you folks need to run this joint. That's a "given".
    Still, there's really no reason for me to go back to Flightsim.com.
    Its like they don't want me around on their forum or to check how my downloads are doing.
    Last week, I wanted to buy some old payware from their store but my money doesn't work over there.
    Fair enough, they sold their soul for MSFS where only Whales need apply. That was their call to make once Nels stepped away.
    Which is why I'm posting over here, now.

So, I guess my message is this: Do what you gotta do but PLEASE, don't screw it up.
    I agree, whole-heartedly.

I haven't done anything with "those guys" since the change came. I'm only on here because it's one of the two sites that I know that keep things simple, clear, and with A LOT of the older stuff still available.

That said, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, make sure that all the backed up and "hosted" sites (Golden Wings, MaskRider's files, Old Hangar Archive, etc, etc) are still good prior to the move. I would HATE to see all those older files "fly west" the way of their authors.

Please let us know when the changes are coming. I'd like to know whether or not to start checking if I need to download my own backups of certain files or not.

Thanks for everything you've done all these years to keep CFS2 and FS9 still alive and good luck!

Jorge
    Miami, FL

What activation email?

Quote Originally Posted by Penzoil3 View Post
    What activation email?
    Hi, Sue! The one they will send out when the swap takes place.
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelvader View Post
    To use analogous terms, this engine may be running well, but it's getting harder and more expensive to find parts, and before too long, you won't even be able to buy the correct fuel. At that point, the engine will no longer be able to run at all.

Whatever the new forum platform may be, even though it looks different, we will (hopefully) still be the same community of enthusiasts that have been for years.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

@Tom Clayton if you have a few hours, this might be interesting reading:

https://www.flightsim.com/forums/for...orum-software/

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    To use analogous terms, this engine may be running well, but it's getting harder and more expensive to find parts, and before too long, you won't even be able to buy the correct fuel. At that point, the engine will no longer be able to run at all.

Whatever the new forum platform may be, even though it looks different, we will (hopefully) still be the same community of enthusiasts that have been for years.
    Indeed, the version of vBulletin used on SOH is 4.2.1, the current version is 6. Upgrading to the new version would be just as difficult as moving over to other software, if only because of the databases behind the forum.

All in all, I think that the total cost of upgrading would be prohibitive.

I for one am confident that the team will be able to do this huge undertaking successfully. They've been maintaining SOH for quite some time now.

So good luck to the team! I'm curious what the site will look like!

Cheers,

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

I'm cautiously optimistic; I'll keep my fingers crossed in hopes nothing is lost in the Transfer.

Change is inevitable. I'm sure the old server and software is, well, outdated, and needs to be brought up to a modern standard. With that in mind, I welcome our new technological overlord.

Oh, here is a representative of our new overlord to greet us.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8gwx5a.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	93291

Uh-oh!
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

LOL!

Cees

I hope that the new file library will have an automatic version numbering system, or at least that the file upload timestamp will be automatically updated whenever the file is updated by the user.

Excited about the upgrade! Are we moving to Discourse? (Not Discord; Discourse is the software used by the official MSFS forum and QuartertoThree.com, among others.)

BTW, are new registrations intentionally closed as part of the upgrade process? Saw a post elsewhere that someone tried to register and the registration page wasn't open.

RE: Quarter Moon Saloon

What happened to Quarter Moon Saloon? I see it's 'gone.' Will it come back?
    ..."He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" -Jim Elliot

quartermoonsaloon.com was not part of SOH. It was an offsite url in the forum list. It went off line quite a while ago. I realized it was still still on our list and deleted it as it is still defunct.

I have no idea who owns the site or what their plans are. One would assume at this point the server is lost for good.

@Dangerousdave26

Any idea of when the hammer will drop for the new site?

Donations are closed?!? I need my red name!
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Donations are closed?!? I need my red name!

+1 Totally agree

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    @Dangerousdave26

Any idea of when the hammer will drop for the new site?
    I was planning on doing the shuffle in mid May but it's hard to tell at this point. Right now my focus is the file library. There is no import for our library system into the new file manager. I will have to script it out and jam it into the database.

And naturally nothing like this ever happens easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerousdave26 View Post
    I was planning on doing the shuffle in mid May but it's hard to tell at this point. Right now my focus is the file library. There is no import for our library system into the new file manager. I will have to script it out and jam it into the database.

And naturally nothing like this ever happens easy.
    Thanks for the reply, Dave!

I am a bit weary when it comes to these kinds of transitions, but know the team managing this site will do everything they can to prevent any hickups (They will happen, but how bad??)

Good thing is knowing that this site will continue breathing for years to come.

This is one of the most, if not THE most, friendly and supportive community I have experiences over whatever many (or few) years I have been around.

Good luck team "Awesomeness".
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Members who have read this thread: 162