2024 Server Upgrades - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2024 Server Upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Indeed, the version of vBulletin used on SOH is 4.2.1, the current version is 6. Upgrading to the new version would be just as difficult as moving over to other software, if only because of the databases behind the forum.

All in all, I think that the total cost of upgrading would be prohibitive.

I for one am confident that the team will be able to do this huge undertaking successfully. They've been maintaining SOH for quite some time now.

So good luck to the team! I'm curious what the site will look like!

Cheers,

Priller
    We updated our squadron website from vBulletin version 4 to v5 a couple of years ago and it was a total disaster. They completely redesigned the functionality of their modules and we could never get a handle on their changes on the admin side either. Site has been online yet broken over three years now.

Hope the move/upgrade goes smoothly.

Wheels

2024 Server Upgrades

Good morning The SOH Team,
    I just hope that after the upgrade the Forum and the "old" files would be also disponible as they are now.
    I got so many helps from friends here and found a lot of old files no longer avaible on other sites - - -
    Flightsim.com has shown how much a site can be changed in the wrong direction.
    Here I have still the feeling that we are a great familly with a large horizont of interests.
    Please keep the site "familly like".
    I have found here a second familly and a lot of suport. I would not miss this
    Good luck to do the right things with the upgrade
    Best Regards with a lot thankfull feelings
    Michael Vader

I've been looking around the new website and, indeed, it does feel like it's FSDeveloper in style. Though not too keen on the "new look" for the thing, I can at least say it's more stable and not as "jacked-up" as Flightsim when it comes to the presentation. You can navigate the available stuff fine, but it still looks "modern" when compared to here.

The thing I liked about the current website is the "classic" look it has when it comes to the layout of things and where to find them (search, posts, file searching, file posting, etc) when compared to other sites. That was one of the factors I thought made things here more user-friendly. I admit FSDeveloper has some files hosted on there, but no where near what's on here. I just hope we don't lose the ease of upload and the fact we can post images for the files like we do now. In that sense, I can understand why Dave and the crew are working hard to get the stuff over to the new "home" so there aren't any issues as a whole.

My guess is that the files will be available in the same way as those over at FSDeveloper are available? Uploading should be simpler, correct?

I'm hoping to get another PW update out soon (few weeks) and I'm hoping not having to jump through too many hoops just to get something posted to the library.

I also noticed the "sub-forums" on there for many of the topics. I'm guessing the reason "The Old Hangar" isn't available (something about "forbidden") is because the migration isn't complete, so I'm not sweating over that (yet).

Keep us posted on the move and here's to things working out well!

Jorge
    Miami, FL

Forum permissions were way off when Imported the database. The sub forums work for me. There must still be something wrong with your permissions if you can't get to them. Unfortunately that isn't something I can fix before we go live. I can't backup the user group permissions or import them. I will have to make all those changes again.

The change in style well I have put it off for as long as I can. It is time to move on from the old software. This software is starting to become very problematic. It will not do us any good to have a good looking forum but one that doesn't function.

Standby for more news.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerousdave26 View Post
    ,,, Standby for more news.
    Thanks for everything, Dave!

One of the things about this community -- and this forum -- is that all the admin have always done their best to keep everyone in the loop and aware of what's going on.

Take your time, and looking forward to the site!

Regards,

Jorge
    Miami, FL

Sub forums like "FS2004 Tweaks and Tips" are working for me.

As for the signed out problem. I think it was from my URL bar still storing the Not Secure "http" address while my bookmark was the Secured https address.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

The announcement has been posted. Time to get things in High Gear.....

Well I still need the host to install our second IP Address. That should get done tomorrow.

"The file library is our biggest concern. We need a team of volunteers to help migrate to the new server just like we did over some 10 years ago. I would hope we could get volunteers from each of our forum sections. The key thing about the resource section on the new software is it is almost just like creating a forum post. I rather like the look of it."

So we have to manual download and reupload the whole Library?
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Right by the weekend I should have a document together to show how to do it. We will post a thread looking for volunteers.

Members who have read this thread: 162