Grounded: And it is all Caz's fault - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grounded: And it is all Caz's fault

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by modelr View Post
    Dang it, John. Now I need to wipe the drool off my keyboard!!

Here are some images of the current arrangement. You can see that I sacrificed authenticity for practicality. Since I mostly fly VR it doesn’t matter if every switch is in the correct spot. I know where they are and assign the same function to the same switch, regardless of where it is in the real airplane. I did replace the overhead projector with a 65” 4K TV which I run at 1920x1080.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CP1.jpg   CP2.jpg   CP3.jpg  
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Quote program not working for me, today.

Looks amazing, John. Unfortunately, I can't use VR, as it makes me terribly airsick! Go figure.

I notice you have the Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack. I've been wondering about those. Do they work good? How do they work?
    I don't like using the MFDs in the sim when having to manipulate them with the mouse.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by modelr View Post
    Quote program not working for me, today.

Looks amazing, John. Unfortunately, I can't use VR, as it makes me terribly airsick! Go figure.

I notice you have the Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack. I've been wondering about those. Do they work good? How do they work?
    I don't like using the MFDs in the sim when having to manipulate them with the mouse.
    They work very well. MSFS automatically binds them in the sim to the default actions. I deleted those bindings and just assigned them using Axis & Ohs. If I am flying a G-530 GPS airplane I assign the right MFD to the GPS functions.

Where they really come into their own is in DCS, however. DCS, will assign them to the default buttons for the aircraft.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    It is a fighter cockpit that I built after retiring some ten years ago. It is my third cockpit. I have previously built a replica of a T-38 cockpit. I had flown the T-38 and loved its sports car look and performance. However, as I got into DCS I wanted something that simulated weapons.The new cockpit was built as a cross between the F-16 and F-18. I made a major concession to my age by giving the left side a clam shell design, so I could just open it like a door and slide into the seat. I had to climb into the T-38 cockpit and lower myself in the seat.
    That looks fantastic, John ! Wow!

I particularly like that you can use it for various aircraft. I had a 737 homepit but found that i was more and more using my normal FS computer setup to fly other planes..hehe

Thanks for the great photo's. Nice to see that you have build most items into the side consoles including the Thrustmaster HOTAS throttle (if i see that correctly..). Nice lighting too !

Btw, your latest posts will not copy the text into the editor, John. I think maybe has to do with the quotation marks you use for dimensions of your cockpit..This SOH editor doesn't like some of these punctuation marks...)

SOH-CM-2024
    WOW John! I quit! I'm going back to constructing plastic models! That's freaking amazing. What VR headset do you use? If you tell me the new Apple Vision Pro, my drool is going to turn to dripping spittle!

Cazzie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazzie View Post
    WOW John! I quit! I'm going back to constructing plastic models! That's freaking amazing. What VR headset do you use? If you tell me the new Apple Vision Pro, my drool is going to turn to dripping spittle!

Cazzie
    No Apple. I am not an Apple guy. I have the HP G2. It works well and serves my purpose.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    No Apple. I am not an Apple guy. I have the HP G2. It works well and serves my purpose.
    To tell you the truth John, you guys are "real" world pilots, I am not. I am a creative type fellow and I love creating scenery and liveries as much as piddling with flying. And if you could see my build model collection, you'd know, Cazzie loves airplanes, particularly warbirds. MSFS allows me wo whittle time away creating during the day in lieu of pitying my maladies. I may be cripple, but I'm not about to hang my life on a wall.

Cazzie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazzie View Post
    To tell you the truth John, you guys are "real" world pilots, I am not. I am a creative type fellow and I love creating scenery and liveries as much as piddling with flying. And if you could see my build model collection, you'd know, Cazzie loves airplanes, particularly warbirds. MSFS allows me wo whittle time away creating during the day in lieu of pitying my maladies. I may be cripple, but I'm not about to hang my life on a wall.

Cazzie
    Sit in the rocking chair and you die.

I agree with you 100%. Do what you can and brings you joy. I have had to cut back on my other love, nature photography, because I can no longer hike 10 miles to take a picture. However, I still find places to photograph. They are just much closer to the highway, think drive by shooting.

I have started creating MSFS scenery twice now. Everytime I learn how to do it, I go on some big trip. When I return, I have forgotten how to do it again. I have stopped by three local airports and taken images of the buildings. They are just waiting for me to sit around long enough to learn for the third time.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

Blog Entries
    Well, I am still grounded. The new memory came in and the result was the same. No Boot, no POST. After talking to Asus I am RMAing the motherboard. Sent it back yesterday. Now I wait until the middle of next week. Oh well, our best friends are coming over for Gumbo on Saturday, it is Superbowl Sunday, and Mardi Gras is Tuesday. I will have something to distract me from no flight simming.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

Blog Entries
    I finally got the system up and running. I am pleased with the results, so far. I did a quick 2D flight over Manhatten. The nVidia frame counter stayed at 60 FPS. The CPU was running at 5.1 GHz and never went above about 75% utilization on any core. The highest core temp was 62 degrees c. This is without any tweeking. Yes, I am happy.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

Members who have read this thread: 173