This landmark has always been the first one outside of Florida that I 've looked for each time I've installed a new version MSFS since I started flying civi sims. I got to the point with this new version of MSFS and how well other fortress like building were done around Europe I was getting ready to ask one of the building makers over on FlightsimTO if they wanted to give it a try. I have a lot of photos and the building layout folder. I seem to remember it was called one of the man-made wonders of the world, being one of the largest forts in the world.

I was up there about 46 years ago when visiting Haitai. I was amazed that all the cannon balls were still stacked, and the cannons all laying in their correct spots like everyone just packed up and left, not taking anything with them. One thing I really liked about seeing it at that time and being a multi-gen Floridian, is there were no real tourists. I think we met one French lady and that was about it. I don't think it was really looked at as a big-time tourist attraction back then. Too hard to get to for most folks. At the fort, there were no places you couldn't go. No guards & no guides. The whole structure was there for the exploring. At one point we were sitting on the very top on the edge with our feet hanging off the far-right portion of the fort in the bottom screen shot, taking pics back towards Cap-Hatien where our sailboat was moored.

The nice road in the screen shots wasn't there back then and the only way up to the fort was a very dangerous narrow path that took about 3 hours on horseback. They were just starting to construct the path at the very bottom of the mountain at the time. They were building the path completely by hand using the stone from the mountain itself. There were about 10 or 12 guys on the crew. A couple of them were chunking rocks off the side of the hill. They tossed the chunks down to a few that were shaping the boulders, flattening them on one side. Several other guys were excavating the path out and a few more were setting the rocks in place. We were up in the for most of the day. From the time we passed them going up, until we passed them going down, they had completed about 20' of the new pathway.

Anyway, glad it finally made it into the sim.

Forest