Equipment Report - Winwing F-16EX

Thread: Equipment Report - Winwing F-16EX

Equipment Report - Winwing F-16EX

[This report is specific to DCS, but the equipment can likely be used in other sims.] I had a desire to acquire a new stick and throttle. I first tried inexpensive, but well rated T.16000 and TWCS. It was not my cup of tea. Surfing around the various sellers of equipment I noticed Winwing prices were (for some unknown reason) reasonable! So, for under $200 US, I bought a F-16EX joystick which arrived the other day. The look, feel and performance of this joystick is unbelievably awesome!

I can't believe I have waited this long to check out this seller. I think I'm going to acquire one of their throttles. If you are in the market, there are many YouTube reviews, but don't wait....buy one! Your sim experience will thank you.
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

You won't regret it! I have the Viper Throttle and MFSSB Stick they are amazing! I can't begin to tell you how amazing it is to fly the Viper with the Force Sensing stick. It was the missing link. Since DCS models the correct FBW g onset and g rate commands it's FM is incredible with the stick. Night and day difference from using my TMWH Stick mounted to my Virpil CM2 Base with cams and springs and hall sensors. It's a great setup but Viper specific it was still just not "there". One thing they don't tell you, is that he stick has haptic feedback built into it. normally you can't use it for anything without the F-16EX addition, but without it, it gives you haptic feedback when you've reached max force deflection for whatever axis you've set. You can set the force required for axis half in the software. It's amazing. (You can actually also set the same feedback with audio beeps from the stick as well!). So you can set the LEFT or RIGHT roll independently. As well and FWD and AFT stick forces. It's amazing. Considering not everyone's desk mounts are made equally this provides an infinite amount of custom variations for anyone's specific setup. For the price it's just phenomenal! Nothing against Realsimulator, which is the only direct competitor for the MFSSB stick by WinWing, but they are so expensive by comparison that it boggles the mind. $450 for the FSSB base and another ~$400-$750 for the stick (IF you can get one)!!! IMHO, while my budget can afford such a stick, on principle, I simple refuse to pay that. Which is why I never pulled the trigger. That's not judgement on how others spend their money. It's your money, do whatever you want with it! Just for me, I can't bring myself to part with it for those 2 items. Literally more than double the price I paid WinWing for the Stick, Base and Throttle. I paid about $450 for BOTH (Stick and Base) and another $450 for the complete Throttle, from WinWing, and it's engineering quality is insane. It's build like a tank. All metal. I have nothing but the same glowing report about the throttle as well. I Ordered the Viper EX throttle with the Orion2 10th Anniversary Base. It's superior to my TMWH trottle in almost every way. I will be purchasing WW products from here on out. They are amazing. I had the product in had 8 days from the day I paid for it. From China that was amazing.

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

All the "HAT" buttons are 4 way + Push. The Missile Step button is also a 4 way + Push. The Pinky Lever is an Axis plus button. The Trim HAT is an 8 way + Push. It's amazing.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Quote Originally Posted by Mach3DS View Post
    All the "HAT" buttons are 4 way + Push. The Missile Step button is also a 4 way + Push. The Pinky Lever is an Axis plus button. The Trim HAT is an 8 way + Push. It's amazing.
    That's a serious looking sim pit! What is the MFD component in the middle of your pit. I'd like to check one of those out. (I have a TMWH at another location and the WinWing stick is noticeably better as you say.) You've convinced me to pull the trigger on the WinWing throttle. Unfortunately, 10th Anniversary is not in stock. Doing it today!
    Jay
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

It's from Etsy. It's called DCS MFD. However you can get the same or better from Winwing. And for about the same price. Those cost me about $350. The center ICP is a Viper.Gear ICP. Which WinWing Also makes now and is superior as they have the DED built into it. I will probably purchase that one. It's setup like a blk 60 style.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

After buying and using the F-16EX, I wanted to purchase the throttle base and F-18 handles. The 10th anniversary base was "sold out" / unavailable and the purchase of a standard throttle resulted in a ~$50 shipping charge...so I waited (price sensitive). [Tick tock.... time passes.] So last week I went to the Winwing site and tried again. *Boom*....the 10th anniversary base is available AND no additional shipping charge. Bottom line...it's a great throttle and it seems it is less expensive when it is in stock in the U.S. inventory. Oh, it shipped very quickly.
    Jay

Blog Entries
    I am not a fan of buying Chinese products. However, based on you guys' reviews and some YouTube vids I bought the Orion joystick and throttle base with the F-15EX grips and fingerlifts. I am very, very pleased with the duo. The joystick is smooth as silk (using as a sidestick) and I love the throttle detents and fingerlifts for AB and engine cutoff.

While flying the F-5E in DCS the tactic feedback from the joystick and throttles allowed me to make the final from the perch on the edge of the bubble, just like the T-38 in UPT.

Winwing has a US supplier in New Jersey. It took less than a week for me to get then and the shipping was free.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    I am not a fan of buying Chinese products. However, based on you guys' reviews and some YouTube vids I bought the Orion joystick and throttle base with the F-15EX grips and fingerlifts. I am very, very pleased with the duo. The joystick is smooth as silk (using as a sidestick) and I love the throttle detents and fingerlifts for AB and engine cutoff.

While flying the F-5E in DCS the tactic feedback from the joystick and throttles allowed me to make the final from the perch on the edge of the bubble, just like the T-38 in UPT.

Winwing has a US supplier in New Jersey. It took less than a week for me to get then and the shipping was free.
    Way to go John! Since I purchased the Winwing stick and throttle, I can't get enough of either DCS or MSFS (and I'm sure I have many tweaks yet to make). I'm now thinking about acquiring one of their panels, but migrating north soon so not until fall 2024.
    Jay

Members who have read this thread: 40