Has anyone heard from Nigel Richards?

Thread: Has anyone heard from Nigel Richards?

Has anyone heard from Nigel Richards?

I REALLY miss the Tutor and MSFS would actually be PERFECT for flying her low and slow. She was an absolute enchantment in P3D and would no doubt be even better here.

Has anyone heard from Sir Nigel?

Ta- C

His last post on this site was in 2019! Retired, maybe?
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Thanks for posting this very good question, Carl ! (although very sad you have to post it...)

I have been looking for a sign from Sir Nigel on all the forums here too. If you ask me his Avro type 621 Tutor excelled in eminence sublimity. It just couldn't get any better in the FSX/P3D biplane department. I do still remember the joy of flying and looking at his work of art and miss it dearly here in MSFS.

Until maybe, hopefully, someone knows more about Nigel's absence for such a long time now we can only hope he has indeed retired from our little flight simulator world to explore other horizons.

Here's to hope he is Ok ! https://youtu.be/XIC9i-ienvk?si=wznnKhOGbzFv3sRj

Jan-

Watching the sun set betwixt the Tutor's wings, whilst sipping on a G&T was the highlight of many an evening.... I still dream of her flight feel. Like Rob & Sean from RealAir, Nigel had the ability to actually transmit the essence of flight, through electrons, to my soul.

I hope he is enjoying his retirement, and wish him nothing but peace and happiness. He brought me both through his creations.

Hope you're well mate- C

PS- any movement on Manfred's part re. his aeroplane (you know the one you and I adore).... hope springs eternal...

Nigel's last post on Facebook was 11 September 2018.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

The last I heard about Nigel was that things in paradise were not good and he was contemplating a move back to the UK. He used to live in Greece in a place in the mountains that was off-grid when he ran into some major issues with his solar power system, battery back-up, generators etc. This was also about the time of the massive economic crash in the Greek economy and everything was in short supply and costs were going through the roof. He was without electrical power for a long time and just made infrequent posts via his cell phone. I have no idea if he ever made it back to the UK or where he is now.
    Larry

Ta Larry- wherever he is I hope he has tailwinds and fair skies... he has brought me much pleasure and I wish him nothing but blessings and peace. Do you (or anyone) know of a way to get the Tutor into MSFS for my own pleasure- nothing more?

Best- Carl

I was flyng the Tutor in FSX only yesterday and thinking how well it would fit in MSFS with the Tiger Moth and Stearman.

I, too, hope Nigel is OK, wherever he is.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Quote Originally Posted by cavaricooper View Post
    Ta Larry- wherever he is I hope he has tailwinds and fair skies... he has brought me much pleasure and I wish him nothing but blessings and peace.
    + 1 !

[Do you (or anyone) know of a way to get the Tutor into MSFS for my own pleasure- nothing more?Best- Carl
    Unfortunately i think we should assume that the answer is negative, Carl. It is one of those models that MSFS just doesn't like and will throw you out to your desktop if you have the nerve to try it. When MSFS was just released i tinkered around with the MSFS Legacy Importer. A.o. i loved flying Anthony's Tiger Moth i imported before the native MSFS version was released. The freeware version would work although the sound didn't, the payware version would not work but sound did so i used that for the freeware version in MSFS. His T-28 f.i. would work but only just. If i remember correctly the wireframe would show thru the canopy glass.... You know, that's the usual snafu you're confronted with while trying to import a non native model in MSFS. Some work some don't.

I just tried both variants of the Legacy Importer with Nigel's masterpiece but both failed miserably. Not even a glimpse.. In case of the Tutor (my heart skipped a beat when i saw the Tutor announced here in our MSFS forum a while ago. Yes!!! .... But it proved to be the Canadian jet trainer.... ) all i can do for us is this, in mesmerizing remembrance (maybe for the time being, who knows, fingers crossed...) :

Watching the sun set betwixt the Tutor's wings, whilst sipping on a G&T was the highlight of many an evening.... I still dream of her flight feel.
    You took the words right out of my keyboard, Carl (although i can only guess that G&T means Gin & Tonic...A C&R for me please (Chivas Regal ;-))

Like Rob & Sean from RealAir, Nigel had the ability to actually transmit the essence of flight, through electrons, to my soul.
    Very true, my friend ! ( Like Sir Nigel, RealAir is dearly missed here in MSFS as well, isn't. The flightdynamics Rob pulled out of his magic hat for our MaamSim- and F-86 models were all special and superb (if you ask me..). Like both the North-American real planes, the B-25 and F-86 models would take-off by holding the nosewheel off of the runway by a couple of inches and at a certain speed would fly off by their own. That only is a sign of excellent FS flightdynamics wizardry in optima forma).

PS- any movement on Manfred's part re. his aeroplane (you know the one you and I adore).... hope springs eternal...
    Well, atleast that's one thing for sure, Carl, Manfred thought that the coming of MSFS was THE ideal point to retire from his FS modeling work. And so he did. Sadly enough of course but we can only respect that. Making aircraft models for FS *before* MSFS came to town was a lotta fun and very rewarding and still a tremendous amount of work and hundred's of hours were involved.But it was kind of 'overseeable'. I don't think i have to tell you or anybody else that creating an all singing and dancing native MSFS model is a complete different ball game. It's like you do exactly the work that you did to create a model for FSX/P3D and all its predecessors but then you're only half way ! Or something like that.....hehe.. I wouldn't know because i retired myself as well... (surely miss it but feels pretty good to ! )

Cheers,
    Jan

SOH-CM-2022
    Nigels Tutor series has always been one of my absolute favorite aircraft. The models are exquisite and the flight characteristics are a treat.

I enjoy the Stampe in MSFS but I keep firing up P3D to buzz around in one or other of the Tutors.

I hope where ever he is Nigel realizes how much joy he has brought to the flighsim community.

Enjoy your retirement my friend... well earned, as is Manfred's, Sir Nigel's, and Sean and Rob's. Know you belong to a very august group, that actually levitated our collective souls towards the footless halls of air.

Per Ardua as Astra.

Best- Carl

Enjoy your retirement my friend... well earned, as is Manfred's, Sir Nigel's, and Sean and Rob's. Know you belong to a very august group, that actually levitated our collective souls towards the footless halls of air.

Per Ardua as Astra.

Best- Carl
    Thank you, my friend

Jan- some more memories for us to drool over mate....

https://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforu...eek?highlight=
    Thanks for this wonderful trip down memory waters, Carl ! Love it ! My, how time flies, éh !?...

Quote Originally Posted by gavinc View Post

I enjoy the Stampe in MSFS.
    I abandoned the Stampe after it always overstressed itself even before it finished loading.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Quote Originally Posted by Tako_Kichi View Post
    The last I heard about Nigel was that things in paradise were not good and he was contemplating a move back to the UK. He used to live in Greece in a place in the mountains that was off-grid when he ran into some major issues with his solar power system, battery back-up, generators etc. This was also about the time of the massive economic crash in the Greek economy and everything was in short supply and costs were going through the roof. He was without electrical power for a long time and just made infrequent posts via his cell phone. I have no idea if he ever made it back to the UK or where he is now.
    Hi Larry,

That is exactly as I remember it. Thanks for the refresher.

Milton Shupe
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Milton-

What a privilege Sir! Hope you are happy and well. Thanks for all you do for all of us!

Best- Carl

Quote Originally Posted by gavinc View Post
    Nigels Tutor series has always been one of my absolute favorite aircraft. The models are exquisite and the flight characteristics are a treat.

I enjoy the Stampe in MSFS but I keep firing up P3D to buzz around in one or other of the Tutors.

I hope where ever he is Nigel realizes how much joy he has brought to the flighsim community.
    The flight modelling on Nigels Tutor was done by Magoo ( James Banks) with additional tweaks from my good self, we were working on the 626 variant when Nigel went 'off air' ; Matt Wynn was in contact with him for a while but likewise has had no response

Glad to hear you're all still enjoying the Avro

Ttfn

Pete

Members who have read this thread: 111