Quote Originally Posted by rbp71854 View Post
Ted
I am presently running 30x30 srtm files creating mesh files. 17920 columns and rows/pixel dimension. 1720 km theater.

Chose not to run make mesh on my tower computer.
108 hours so far on a desktop, which I would consider slow. Averaging 2 files created per minute. Presently about halfway through 512. Have 256 and 128 files to go having already created 4096, 2048, and 1024.
Would this influence the resolution of the lcf file? I have heard of one person creating a much higher resolution lcf for WOFF, and I think that's a huge step forward in terms of the overall appearance of the terrain. Having landclasses in roughly 1 km x 1 km blocks seems a bit dated.

For water, cfs3h2o.dds is the key. It is a direct map of the entire theater, but it is flipped vertically. Note that it is not rotated 180 degrees, but flipped. It was very tedious to map out the shorelines pixel by pixel, and I got a huge help from a guy over at the WOFF forum who did probably 75% of that part. I think it would be a lot easier if you're able to export your water shapes to a texture sheet somehow. I used a 4096x4096 map, but I think higher might allow you to put in some decent reef detail. According to Ankor, even though the file size would be very large, the way it is done in CFS3 is efficient and will not cause a huge performance hit. I'd love to see what could be done in 16384 resolution! I would think it might be possible to paint an individual body of water or island coastline on a smaller sheet and then put the different pieces into a single large map at the appropriate places. Or are you suggesting that it might be possible to get CFS3 to recognize more than one texture each covering a section of the map.

The 16 h2od_XX.dds files are not used for color anymore, but now are used only for creating the bump map for the waves.

EDIT: here's a link to the water colors I did for the stock map: https://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforu...ors-Europe-zip