Frame generation for all (well almost)

Thread: Frame generation for all (well almost)

Frame generation for all (well almost)

So, I tried to implement the frame generation for my 2080ti Frame generation for all RTX cards - Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - The AVSIM Community but just couldn't get the option to show up in MSFS. However simply turning on HAGS (Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling) produced the best results I have ever had in any simulator. My graphics are turned up and I'm getting frames in the 30s where I have it locked. And I was just about to pull the trigger on a new graphics card. If I even do get a new one, I have no problem waiting for the 4080 supers to show up. Wow!!! I normally do not give advice like this because everyone's system is different, but even if you don't want to implement frame generation, I strongly suggest turning on HAGS and see what you get.

LouP

Wow! Well, I'm impressed: a tweak that actually works. For my RTX 3080 12 gb card, 2k 144hz monitor, and
    standard ultra settings, this tweak doubled my fps in every single flying situation I've tried so far. This is definitely
    a keeper.

An additional note: I found I needed to set the FPS limiter in the Nvidia Control Panel. otherwise the
    frame generation effect wasn't stable (I set mine to half my monitor's refresh rate, or 72 fps).

I can see now why those with a 4090 were raving about frame generation. It's so smooth.

I've been following the thread at Avsim from the start. It's something I'll definitely try out.

SOH-CM-2024
    Why is everyone so Nvidia nuts? I followed my computer engineer son's advice when I had him built me a code breaker and he and his partner both agree Nvidia is simply unreliable and to go with top-of-the-line AMD, so I did. And I am certainly not displeased. Cheaper perhaps and not the rocket FPS a RTX 4090 gives, but it sure works for me, and they don't melt mounting posts and themselves. Below are screenshots of my devices, my MSFS Settings, and the fps I get from local smaller cites like Danville and the fps I get at the same settings in larger cities like NYC and LA. All are smooth as silk and not one lag. Never thought I'd be able to fly MSFS 2020 like I am doing now. I'm addicted. My RX 5900 XT graphics card is not overclocked, it's set on Default and Quality with Super Resolution and No Lag.

Cazzie

My Devices

Attachment 92688

MSFS Setting #1

Attachment 92689

MSFS Settings #2

Attachment 92690

Cockpit FPS from smaller cities, this is Danville, VA.

Attachment 92691

External View FPS, smaller cities, again Danville, VA.

Attachment 92692

Cockpit View FPS, large cities, New York City here.

Attachment 92693

External View FPS, large cities, New York City again.

Attachment 92694

[QUOTE=Cazzie;1325720]Why is everyone so Nvidia nuts?

A very good question. The sim is a product of Xbox Studios, so it was developed for the Xbox first and PC second - the Xbox release was delayed by the Covid lockdown, remember that? The Xbox uses AMD graphics and that's why it runs better on AMD cards on PC too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cazzie View Post
    Why is everyone so Nvidia nuts? I followed my computer engineer son's advice when I had him built me a code breaker and he and his partner both agree Nvidia is simply unreliable and to go with top-of-the-line AMD, so I did. And I am certainly not displeased. Cheaper perhaps and not the rocket FPS a RTX 4090 gives, but it sure works for me, and they don't melt mounting posts and themselves. Below are screenshots of my devices, my MSFS Settings, and the fps I get from local smaller cites like Danville and the fps I get at the same settings in larger cities like NYC and LA. All are smooth as silk and not one lag. Never thought I'd be able to fly MSFS 2020 like I am doing now. I'm addicted. My RX 5900 XT graphics card is not overclocked, it's set on Default and Quality with Super Resolution and No Lag.

Cazzie
    Very good point, Cazzie. It's probably because it's only recently that Radeon has come up with something competitive. I was also looking at their video cards this time around and decided to hold off on any upgrade until next year now. I'm glad that Radeon has finally joined the party to help keep nVidia in line. It will also be interesting to see how nVidia reacts to all of this, especially when they've been telling us all that FG would only work on a 4 series card. Now they have to respond to that and some competition, too.

LouP
    Last edited by LouP; December 21st, 2023 at 10:41. Reason: verbiage

There are as many gaming systems out there as people playing the 'sim'. You would be hard pressed to find 2 computers which are carbon copies of one another. Everyone's 'research route' in speccing a system takes them down a different path. That path, with input from others along the way, ultimately determines what the end product will look like. I've had an AMD Sapphire HD 7970 GPU in my old i7 2600k NZXT system and it was virtually bulletproof - finally gave up after 9 years of very heavy use (photoshop, graphic design work, FSX). I replaced it with GeForce 1660Ti and it too continued to perform flawlessly. Today, I find myself with a new system unlike anything I had before, and eagerly awaiting the new MSFS2024 edition much like many here in the forums.

In my situation I had to have both a CPU and GPU which would perform well, not only for running the sim but also for detailed graphics work. A biathlon system capable of running a sim (full speed at a sustained high heart rate - like a swimmer), and also capable of very detailed work in graphic design and photoshop (like sharpshooting - where accuracy and low heart rate is key to hitting the target).

YMMW, as the saying goes. Speaking negatively of other manufacturer's products really benefits noone. As I recall reading somewhere, 'the purpose of flightsim forum threads is to discuss news and issues surfacing in the sim hobby with the main goal being to help fellow hobbyists out'. Your happiness with your system is ultimately what counts.

Don't worry, Nvidia and AMD are not going anywhere any time soon, and will continue to leapfrog each other's products well into the future.

Happy Holidays, everyone !
    Last edited by MZee1960; December 21st, 2023 at 13:16.
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

Members +
    HB, Ca.-Seattle,Wa.-Fujieda-Shizuoka-Japan
    It works even across the GTX 10 series as well...

https://youtu.be/mwVW0meSsYg
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit 22H2 Build 19045.4123
    Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 (BIOS F-10)
    Core i7 3770K
    G-Skill Trident X 32GB DDR3 CL7-8-8-24
    Asus RTX 2070 OC 8GB
    1TB Crucial MX500 SSD
    1TB RAW Mushkin SSD
    1TB RAW Mushkin SSD
    2TB PNY CS900 SSD
    LG Blue Ray Burner DL
    Rosewill mid tower Challenger
    Corsair RM 750 PSU
    Inateck KU5211 USB 3.2 Adapter
    LTERIVER PCE-G2S4 PCIe 4port SATA card
    X56 HOTAS
    Grassmonkey Joseph II Puck
    Oculus Quest 2
    TM 2x MFD Cougar
    T-Mobile Home Internet 5G (KDV21)

I've tried this, but got some graphics distortion in the process So I undid the tweak.

The only consequence is that I'm getting slightly higher temperatures in the process, but I can live with that.

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of using AMD FSR3 with the Nvidia 1070Ti please?

Members who have read this thread: 2