A-36/P-51A Mustang by Allen
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A-36/P-51A Mustang by Allen

A-36/P-51A Mustang by Allen

A dev thread for A-36 and Ally P-51A. I'm using the CFS3 P-51B as the base starting point.

It took a few hours to get the model fit with Ally engine and do basic texture clean up.

However the cockpit. Why are they so odd or just broken in CFS3? The P-51B cockpit is crude recycle of the P-51D cockpit. It still has the D angled canopy slope and nice floating parts. Also nice open hole when looking down and back. Lack of any armor behind the pilot so what you see is what looks like a place holder mesh.

After way too many hours I was able to patch things up some. Things are good considering what I had to work with. Ripped the canopy frame from the CFS2 P-38 and used it as the CFS3 canopy was nothing but a patch work mess.

[/QUOTE]

Late yesterday and all today has been converting the model to A-36. Making the dive brakes like 2 or 3 times and some texture work.

The model is now in gMax getting animations and breaking parts.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Before I go to bed at 3AM. Animations (not main wheels) and if I did my linking right breaking parts should also be setup right.

A "Bruv" texture. Now I hope I set all of the part linking right or things are going to be twice as much work fixing it as the Interior is next and is going to be 90% clone of the Exterior model.

Wow Allen. Looking great!

After way too much head smashing got it into CFS2. It was bad, I was just struggling to do basic thing right in gMax. I can't blame lack of practice as I have done a number of FS2004 aircraft lately just fine.

The VC gauge panel image is a placeholder and used to I could place gauges in the right spot.

Don' t forget lights, it's an important detail.

Looking great Allen, as always...

Quote Originally Posted by vinci View Post
    Don' t forget lights, it's an important detail.
    I got the left wing lights. I'm I missing something else?

On the left, these are landing lights, but there is also navigation lights.

Like wing nav lights?

Yes, you can search navigation lights aircraft.

vinci: I'll look.

LODs today. LOD 75 is a bit high IMO but not too many A-36 should be in the sky so it should be fine.

VC is a bit more finished. Modeled in the "Remote Contactor" gauge AKA IFF gauge and some bits at the bottom of the panel. FS2004 screen shot since I didn't want 5 mins for MDLC to convert to CFS2.

Finished up LOD 25 and 10.

Anyone one know of a good .air file from any CFS2 P-51 that can be used as a base? Any P-51 should work fine as base since the changes are mostly engine/prop.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Finished up LOD 25 and 10.

Anyone one know of a good .air file from any CFS2 P-51 that can be used as a base? Any P-51 should work fine as base since the changes are mostly engine/prop.
    Modified FDG2 air file to match 'B' performance

p_51B air file.zip
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Thanks.

Also is there a bug with CFS2 that causes aircraft to fly slower the higher they are? Yes, I did make sure to lean the fuel and tried auto lean.

Allen,

I've seen this high altitude/slower speed phenomenon also. One solution is to adjust prop pitch/RPM as you would in real world A/C at higher altitudes. CFS2 seems to take air density at altitude into consideration for calculating thrust @ RPM/prop pitch. However, this often leads to running a specific AC engine at less than realistic RPM's. Seeing as the updated Air.ed tool shows and allows changes to prop parameters, there may be a solution in adjusting these values to create higher thrust at greater prop pitch angles. But because these parameters are not clearly defined in the table, I'm not sure which parameters will give the desired effect. Another solution is to just adjust throttle to achieve the desired high altitude speed but again, this would also create situations where the engine is run at less than realistic parameters which in turn also affects fuel range.

Mixture in CFS2 seems to have four set points. Full Rich for 0-3000 ft. Auto Rich for 3000-16,000 ft. Auto Lean for 16,000-25,000ft and of course, Fuel Mixture Cutoff. To that end, I have applied stickers on my mixture axis to indicate these four points. Unfortunately, there is no way to set auto fuel mixture for specific A/C only such as the bf-109. In Settings, you either have them all set at auto or none set at auto. Although in Air.ed you are able to set the 109's parameters to "Mixture Adjustable-false" which gives you no fuel mixture control and seems to somewhat allow the A/C to work as Auto Fuel Mixture.

Confused yet? It took me years of trail and error to figure out this small amount of info. But hey, it's all in the name of the pursuit of full realistic immersion.

Looks great Allen, looking forward to this one. Many thanks.

msfossey

For the .air file I just sort of gave up and took the P-38F engine and prop and dumped it into the .air file I made for my P-51b than dropped the Critical Altitude to 12,500 feet. I'll upload it tomorrow unless someone want to make a better .air file.

vinci:
    Wing lights and also wire

A-36/P-51A Dev Thread. speed at high altitude

Good morning friends,
    concerning speed at high altitudes,
    as the air is less dense at high altitude it do not only have
    effect on the engine. Also on the venturi tube.
    As the air passing the tube is less dense at high altitude the indicated air speed
    is lower than the airspeed which the aircraft has over the ground
    I do not know how this is taken by CFS.
    But in FS2004 if you compare the indicated airspeed on the speedo and the speed given in the
    GPS you will notice a differance. Also of course it is important if your pitot tube has the heather
    on or not.
    On some german aircraft which should fly at high altitudes some times there where corrections around the speedo.
    Also there was a warning that the pitot tube gives about 10% less values.
    ON US aircraft the pilot had a lot of things to manage flying on high altitudes. correcting the right fuel-air, prop pitch, cowl flaps and on the
    most engines the compressor settings
    So if possible in cfs it might be interesting to compare indicated airspeed and speed over ground via the gps.
    Have anice day
    Yours
    Michael Vader

MichaelVader:
    I have True Airspeed select in CFS2 so that shouldn't be a problem. Okay checked and none of the Realism Settings where being saved and had to delete and replace all of my MODULES folders .dlls. So on start up it was falling back to default Realism Settings including back to Indicated Airspeed.

This CFS2 install is almost stock but for some aircraft and gauges and I just added my Stock Infrastructure Rebuild and Updated US Bombs so it looks a bit better today so no idea why it got so bugged!

One more texture. Lt. William Creech, Burma 1944.

A-36/P-51A Dev Thread.

Hallo Allen,
    I once had CFS2 on my pc and I never did agree with it.
    The flight behavouir of the planes didn't satisfy me and the
    sceneries brrr
    I never understood why the flight dynamics has been so different compared to fs9
    I imported some cfs 2 aircraft to fs9 but there was really too much to rework,
    the 2d panels, the flight dynamics. Now thanks to you and collegues I can find fs9 usuable planes.
    Now there are some interesting sceneries in cfs 2 ,especially concerning Lorient.
    I tried to use them in fs9 - nada no chance snif snif.
    FS9 is really the sime that is best for me and my pc.
    Besst regards
    Yours
    Michael Vader

A-36A Mustang/Apache/Invader

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - American

Description: This rebuild of the stock CFS3 P-51B converted to a A-36A Mustang/Apache/Invader dive bomber. The model has moving parts and working VC, LODs and breaking parts. Paints are of the 225th Fighter Bomber Squadron, 27th Fighter Bomber Group in French Morocco during the spring of 1943 and British A-36A EW998 was supplied to the RAF in March 1943 for experimental purposes at Boscombe Down, England and Lt. William Creech, 238th FS,311th FB, 10th Air Force Burma 1944.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit A-36A Mustang/Apache/Invader
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

A-36 Mustang/Apache/Invader is live for download!
    https://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforu...2&linkid=30428

Also work on the P-51A has started! "Lil Sophie" Lt. C. Bray, 530th FS, 311th FG India 1944.

Sweet! Thanks a bunch!
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Members who have read this thread: 3