Helicopter aerobatics

Thread: Helicopter aerobatics

Helicopter aerobatics

Good evenening helicopter friends,

as I have seen by the downloads of my NH90 panel there might be some helicopter fans here.
    I have a question now:
    Does any one ever done aerobatics as it is possible to make with a real helicopter as the Bölkow Bo 105?
    I have tried with some freeware Bo 105 but failed completely.
    If some one has done it, with which helicopter (if possible freeware) and how to do?
    I wonder if it is really possible, as it seems that the FS2004 helicopter flight models are quiet close to an fixed pitch rc helicopter.
    Best regards
    Yours
    Michael Vader

Well, Papi, I'm obviously not the person to ask . Too many of my helicopter flights end in unplanned aerobatics

Cheers,
    Huub

Helicopter aerobatics

Goof evening Huub,

at the beginning a teacher told me "helicopter flying is as if you try to keep balance on a board which is on a ball"
    Oh yes indeed.
    But with today automated systems things are got a lot easier.
    As you show the flettner, the most important with this chopper to keep just a bit speed forward.
    Till you have a bit speed things goes quiet well.
    Deck landings are possible - with a lot of exercisse
    When one time "you have got it" you wouldn t miss chopper flying
    Best regards
    Yours
    Michael Vader

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Well, Papi, I'm obviously not the person to ask . Too many of my helicopter flights end in unplanned aerobatics

Cheers,
    Huub
    The advice I was given on flying helicopters on Fs(certainly a "black art") is when moving the controls try to "only pinch an inch",i.e very slight gentle movememnts.

With the demise of the Hovercontrol site,I found this gave some good information:

https://www.helisimmer.com/how-to-fly-helicopters

My big thing flying Helicopters was fighting the centering spring on/in the Joystick, which led to wrist soreness and fatigue after about 30 minutes flying.

I took an old Saitek joystick I had and compressed the external spring, raising the centering plate away from the Joystick base. This gave the Joystick free motion.
    I then adjusted both the Sensitivity and Null Zone down for pitch and roll, and the Twist Rudder slightly higher.

Now it's much more comfortable on my wrist and hand, and much easier to fly for longer periods.

However, I have not been able to loop a Helicopter (the Blue Thunder move) or climb then rotate the tail 180° (the Airwolf maneuver) without the Helicopter completely departing and undulating across the sky like a runaway cow with a drunken cowboy on its back!

Helicopter aerobatics

Good morning helicopter friends,
    at first I must say that I fly on my FS2004 with an old 4ch transmitter from an no more existing helicopter.
    engine control and rudder on the left stick and the cyclic (rotor disc angles) on the right stick.
    As same as I fly my other rc helicopters.
    with the transmitter on the desk I have my hands on the desk and I control the sticks with two fingers on the sticks.
    That gives very precise control inputs and no fatigue.
    Just to speak about fatigue, today helicopters often has autopilots - I use them so also on my flightsim choppers.
    There is an existing one who works very well if you have installed it as recommanded.
    Now to my initial question: basic aerobatics.
    I hoped that there would be here someone who tricked out the fs2004 helicopter flight envelope.
    I had a look in the aircraft cfg and airfiles of different choppers.
    They all have a fixed pitch - so as same as on a fixed pitch radio controlled model heli the flight envelope is very limited.
    Just basic flying as with an Bell 47 or an Uh-1 huey should be possible.
    That is the normal case. But perhaps some genius guy has found out to go further on - out of the normal FS2004 limits?
    Best regards
    Yours
    Michael Vader

If I may ask... what kind of "aerobatics" are you trying to achieve?

Helicopter aerobatics

Good evening ViperPilot2,

thanks you to ask,
    simply basics as they are flown by the RED BULL team with their AH-1 or Bo 105,
    means loopings and rolls and Immelmann turns.
    No fantastic aerobatics as some rc helicopter pilots do, no no no
    What I wanted is to reproduce some of the displays I have seen in real.
    I did put my nose into the flight dynamic physics and it is clear that the fixed pitch envelope is very restricted
    as you can not "play" with the incidences of the rotor blades.
    Or there is a trick I do not know.
    Best regards
    Yours
    Michael Vader

Helicopter aerobatics

just a bit of that what is seen in the video,
    with a Bo105 model it would be fine LOL
    Best regards
    Yours
    MichaelVader
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDgxHgnZDck
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuDqb1teXDM

Well now you've got me intrigued, Michael! Looks like I need to find a BO-105 for FS9 and give it a try!

I add two things to every Helicopter I've installed into my Sim; Rob Barengredt's Hover Gauge and the Blade Slap Gauge/Sound. They don't do anything to the regular Flight regime except below 40 kts where the Hover Gauge kicks in. The Blade Slap sound happens in every maneuver.

vp²

Helicopter aerobatics

Hallo VP2,

yes flap sound is very well for choppers like of course the good old UH-1 or also his brother the AH-1
    for the Bo-105 ilts good also, but for big ventilators as the CH-53 or even the NH-90, mmm I tried and it did not "glue"
    I flew a lot with the CH-53G and I see very often passing the NH90from the french navy making exercises just in front of my house, no flap sound as the one you mention.
    an other to gauges I use is the hover gauge and the autopilot - a very nice uge if you make longer flights and the last version is more written for FSX but works very well in fs 9 and has also a hover function and a very good tuto with it.
    As soon I ave a bit time I will see what are the limits of the Alphasim AH-1 Cobra -sad that no one made a RED Bull version for it lol..
    I just finished the xmas treee for my wife and now hop hop (flap flap) into bed,
    Best regards yours
    Michael

I downloaded the Gunther Kraemer Bo-105, installed the Hover and Blade Slap gauges, and took her around my home Airport (KAPA). Climbed to approx. 1,400' AGL, leveled out and yanked the Cyclic hard to Port. The Bo-105 rolled Left, rotated through and back to Level fairly quickly, with about a 600' drop in Altitude. Not perfect, but the Helicopter did Roll. I also tried what I took to be hard Left Rudder by the Pilot to spin the Helicopter 360°... that was not as easy to recover from. The bird was all over the place in uncontrolled Yaw until I fought her back to straight and level flight.

Hope this helps; compared to other Helicopters I've flown by Nemeth, the Devins crew and others this one is not quite as stable, but maybe that's more on the Operator as opposed to the Model...

By the by... you don't have any Motion Sickness Meds on you? I'm feeling a little queasy after that...

vp²

Helicopter aerobatics

Good evening VP2,

take Klipal C or Dolipran LOL
    I have done some rolls and loopings with the Alphasim Ah-1 w Super Cobra
    you need a good altitude, minimum 2000ft and speed speed speed.
    The U-turn (or Immelmann) is possible but hazardous
    I did not yet try the spins.
    As usual the cockpits does not please me a lot, so next project to make decent cockpits for the chopper.
    But there are other works before to finish
    I tried also the Area 51 AH-1 > in the reserve hangar. Not really pleasant for me.
    I also tried to find the original Bo-105 by Günther Krämer, but all are reworked
    But the philipine version is not too bad for some basic aerobatics.
    I fly her with a red bull livery.
    Needs as well as the Ah-1 some switchable smoke effekts.
    Best regards
    Yours
    Michael

Helicopter aerobatics

Good Morning VP2,
    do you have the Alphasim Ah-1W Super cobra?
    If yes and you are interested I would try to put it in here
    I also added some different smoke effects
    I think the super cobra is very well for making display flights.
    I just surch for interesting paints, a bit more eye catching than what I have found yet
    Now I will focus a bit on the BO-105. Will see what can be done with her
    Best regards
    Yours
    Michael Vader

Members who have read this thread: 2