Airbases file limitation?

Thread: Airbases file limitation?

Airbases file limitation?

Is there a limit to the number of airbases that can be added in to the airbases file? I’m building my PTO specific install, and it seems like any airfield above 400, or 8400 for the ID, isn’t being recognized by CFS2 in the map view.

Sir:

I'd always heard that 250 bases was a safe number to use. You can always substitute PTO bases for the CFS1 bases at the beginning of the file.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

250…Right…well…I blame the excellent airfields built by Xavier, Maskrider, Uncle TGT and others.

…And I thought that I was going a be good this time around with theater specific installs.

IIRC, it's a limit of 200 AFD files that's the kicker.

Workaround 1:
    Separate the bases from any scenery & group them in region/campaign/period folder sets. Activate/deactivate them thru scenery config screen depending upon where/when you're flying to keep below this total.

Workaround 2:
    Ask Kevin Driver to teach you/us how to combine AFD files together. Taken together with the grouping in Workaround 1, you can dramatically reduce the total number of AFD files that the game sees this way.

Library Staff
    I've got 1094 airbases.dat entries in my PTO, although I haven't added UT's latest airfields to the list - they may be the straw which breaks the camel's back.

There is a problem with Mission Builder when you have this many entries. MB won't let you navigate to a specific airfield to create or edit a mission by selecting that airfield. You have to choose the relevant operating area then navigate to the airfield using the map. The cross indicating that airfield's takeoff position will appear as normal on the map.

As John says, 200 is about the limit to the number of *_AFD BGL files.

I currently have around 330 entries in my PTO file, so, good to hear that I can still add a few more.
    The 200 AFD files may become the limit at some point, but John's Workaround 1 will be useful when that happens.

Members who have read this thread: 2