Fly-In Info
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly-In Info

Fly-In Info

The attached text file is just a warm-up to a possible fly-in to Reklaw at some point in the future. Read at your leisure and see if you'd be interested in participating.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Checked It Out

I was able to download all the scenery. I will be flying in P3D V4.5 with issues with FSX and Windows 10 on my Dell as well as better frame rates. The 7AT7 works perfectly in it. Also plan on flying a Cessna 172 Skyhawk so no matter what sim the others are using they will see me in a Skyhawk though perhaps not the registration. I think that I will install my A2A for P3D V4.5 and see how that works out. Maybe do a test flight this afternoon. Now to trees...I still have a few trees though I see you do not in the last screenshot in FSX. I did a poly exclude and compiled the bgl. All but two stubborn trees disappeared. Even lowering the autogen vegetation density to NORMAL didn't remove them but slewing the aircraft from one end of the runway to the other, the Cessna has no trouble avoiding them to takeoff and I am sure to land. If I tried to flyin a DC3 it might be a problem but I don't intend to do that. I think even the Spartan wouldn't have a problem if I wanted to fly it. As far as ORBX I don't use ORBX NA so I won't have an issue with that. Hope we can get a few guys to want to get together and can work out a date/time for all.

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    I was able to download all the scenery. I will be flying in P3D V4.5 with issues with FSX and Windows 10 on my Dell as well as better frame rates. The 7AT7 works perfectly in it. Also plan on flying a Cessna 172 Skyhawk so no matter what sim the others are using they will see me in a Skyhawk though perhaps not the registration. I think that I will install my A2A for P3D V4.5 and see how that works out. Maybe do a test flight this afternoon. Now to trees...I still have a few trees though I see you do not in the last screenshot in FSX. I did a poly exclude and compiled the bgl. All but two stubborn trees disappeared. Even lowering the autogen vegetation density to NORMAL didn't remove them but slewing the aircraft from one end of the runway to the other, the Cessna has no trouble avoiding them to takeoff and I am sure to land. If I tried to flyin a DC3 it might be a problem but I don't intend to do that. I think even the Spartan wouldn't have a problem if I wanted to fly it. As far as ORBX I don't use ORBX NA so I won't have an issue with that. Hope we can get a few guys to want to get together and can work out a date/time for all.
    Sounds good. Did you try adding the line to your config file, or did you already have it in there?

Current System Specs:

The Line

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Sounds good. Did you try adding the line to your config file, or did you already have it in there?
    in FSX it's already there. The Lockheed-Martin Prepar3Dv4.5.cfg does not have any Image Pixels Complexity. It uses it's own values for things. I'll just avoid the two trees that I can't get rid of.

in FSX it's already there. The Lockheed-Martin Prepar3Dv4.5.cfg does not have any Image Pixels Complexity. It uses it's own values for things. I'll just avoid the two trees that I can't get rid of.
    It does have a [TERRAIN] section and I added it there a long time ago. I've never run into the problems noted by others and I don't know if that one line in the P3D config file actually does anything but you might try it and see.

Current System Specs:

Well

It does have a [TERRAIN] section and I added it there a long time ago. I've never run into the problems noted by others and I don't know if that one line in the P3D config file actually does anything but you might try it and see.
    Lo and behold (for Christmas Time exclamation LOL) the trees in the runway are gone. I don't know why LM doesn't have that in there but it's there now and the problems are gone.

Lo and behold (for Christmas Time exclamation LOL) the trees in the runway are gone. I don't know why LM doesn't have that in there but it's there now and the problems are gone.
    Glad it worked.

Current System Specs:

I just checked my fsx.cfg file and I did not have the line mentioned in place so I added it. I will DL the other scenery files tomorrow and then check to see if I have any trees on the runway now.
    Larry

Even in LM P3D

Quote Originally Posted by Tako_Kichi View Post
    I just checked my fsx.cfg file and I did not have the line mentioned in place so I added it. I will DL the other scenery files tomorrow and then check to see if I have any trees on the runway now.
    Even though it was not identical to FSX, Ed told me to put it in [TERRAIN] which I did because it was not there or anywhere else by a search in Notepad++ and all the superfluous trees were gone when I reloaded it. I might fly from my KDTO (Denton Executive in the SOH Library) to 7TA7 today only 164 miles as the crow flies or the Skyhawk for fun and then maybe a circuit to the other two airfields which I have downloaded. Unless I get lassoed into projects. We'll see.

Richard

Even though it was not identical to FSX, Ed told me to put it in [TERRAIN] which I did because it was not there or anywhere else by a search in Notepad++ and all the superfluous trees were gone when I reloaded it. I might fly from my KDTO (Denton Executive in the SOH Library) to 7TA7 today only 164 miles as the crow flies or the Skyhawk for fun and then maybe a circuit to the other two airfields which I have downloaded. Unless I get lassoed into projects. We'll see.

Richard
    I'm flying the Quest Kodiak right now to get an idea of time for the full trip. At 170kts from Sherman to Corsicana is 30 minutes (a tad over 96nm). I just departed Corsicana for Reklaw which is 74nm. Depending on if we land at Corsicana for bathroom breaks/coffee/snack breaks, etc we'd be looking at no more than 90 minutes for the entire trip which is short compared to some MP excursions I've been on.

Another factor would be aircraft type. . .anything between 150 and 170 kts capable would be about right as Sherman Municipal is the only hard runway and the other two are grass we wouldn't want jets, just something that moves along at fairly good pace that everyone can match up to and stay grouped along the way.

Current System Specs:

Landing at Reklaw:

7TA7-2023-dec-5-001 by Ed Wells, on Flickr

7TA7-2023-dec-5-002 by Ed Wells, on Flickr

7TA7-2023-dec-5-003 by Ed Wells, on Flickr

7TA7-2023-dec-5-005 by Ed Wells, on Flickr

Current System Specs:

New Aircraft Choice

I will probably not fly the Skyhawk then being too slow to keep up. I have a couple different ga choices and will decide and post here with downloads when we have MP players and the date so that they can see what I am flying and let me have theirs if I don't. BTW I own the Kodiak from when it first came out and put it in the hanger. Even if I fly my Carenado Cessna C208B there are freeware so it can be matched even if it's not the exact repaint. The same for many other aircraft. There is a lot of now free Aeroplane Heaven and Milviz for FSX online too.

The "TERRAIN" line worked for me in fsx.cfg. Thanks for that, Ed. I'm not much of a GA guy so can some one recommend a suitable aircraft either stock FSX or free download?

Thanks,
    Steve
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Some Recommendations From Me

Quote Originally Posted by Duckie View Post
    The "TERRAIN" line worked for me in fsx.cfg. Thanks for that, Ed. I'm not much of a GA guy so can some one recommend a suitable aircraft either stock FSX or free download?

Thanks,
    Steve
    If you are more military than general aviation, T34 Mentor:https://flyawaysimulation.com/downlo...t-t-34-mentor/

AT-6 Texan: https://www.rikoooo.com/downloads/viewdownload/62/284

are good choices and both are available as FSX freeware at the links above and all flown in the real world.

If you are more military than general aviation, T34 Mentor:https://flyawaysimulation.com/downlo...t-t-34-mentor/

AT-6 Texan: https://www.rikoooo.com/downloads/viewdownload/62/284

are good choices and both are available as FSX freeware at the links above and all flown in the real world.
    Thanks Richard. I have both of those in the hangar and agree they both would be good choices. I was thinking along the lines of something that might be more common to most so we could all see each others’ actual aircraft. Maybe that’s something to think about when we get closer to scheduling a flight.

Steve
    Duckie

Siince Freeware

If you have the same aircraft that I gave you download links to, all the Multi players can download those aircraft for themselves from the links and if you tell them what texture you are using they can then even have that exact same aircraft. That is how we did it in the virtual bomb group I used to fly with. Though we all had the same A2A B-17, we just uploaded the textures into OUR B-17 and JoinFS would select them to match. Really cool! And I agree with you that it is more fun to fly with the other's exact aircraft if possible. Now if someone is flying a payware aircraft that you do not have then JoinFS will pick one for it in what's called "model matching". You get to say "OK" or "Pick Another". IE if Ed is flying the Quest Kodiak and others don't own it, you want to match maybe the default C208B NOT an ERJ195 which would look silly. Looking forward to the fly in in the future together.

I'm going to give "LICScout8GCBC Tundra" a shot at the trip this morning just to see if flying a slower airplane is doable without stretching the time to a point of boredom. There are other options as well, such as just shooting a T&G at Corsicana and continuing on to Reklaw or simply flying direct from Sherman to Reklaw and bypassing the stop at Corsicana altogether.

Current System Specs:

Fun Flights T&G

I'm going to give "LICScout8GCBC Tundra" a shot at the trip this morning just to see if flying a slower airplane is doable without stretching the time to a point of boredom. There are other options as well, such as just shooting a T&G at Corsicana and continuing on to Reklaw or simply flying direct from Sherman to Reklaw and bypassing the stop at Corsicana altogether.
    A few years ago when flying with the 91stBG, during the week they would set up fun flights in any aircraft you wanted, not B-17s and the route was setup with touch and go's not full stop landings so that would obviously work and then flights in Cessna's, Piper's and Stearman's etc. could fly of which there are many freeware incl a Cessna Tundra-tire tail dragger I found to fly up in Alaska to little airports a few months ago. Got hooked watching reruns of FLY WILD ALASKA.

Flying the Bellanca Scout w/tundra tires (not native FSX). Very nice flight under an hour to Corsicana and likewise on to Reklaw. Landed over the pond at Reklaw just for a different view. Average speed about 125-129mph.

Reklaw_Flt_Test-2023-dec-7-001 by Ed Wells, on Flickr

Reklaw_Flt_Test-2023-dec-7-002 by Ed Wells, on Flickr

Reklaw_Flt_Test-2023-dec-7-004 by Ed Wells, on Flickr

Reklaw_Flt_Test-2023-dec-7-005 by Ed Wells, on Flickr
    Last edited by falcon409; December 7th, 2023 at 12:19.

Current System Specs:

A new thought

Flying the Bellanca Scout w/tundra tires (not native FSX). Very nice flight under an hour to Corsicana and likewise on to Reklaw. Landed over the pond at Reklaw just for a different view. Average speed about 125-129mph.

Reklaw_Flt_Test-2023-dec-7-001 by Ed Wells, on Flickr

Reklaw_Flt_Test-2023-dec-7-002 by Ed Wells, on Flickr

Reklaw_Flt_Test-2023-dec-7-004 by Ed Wells, on Flickr

Reklaw_Flt_Test-2023-dec-7-005 by Ed Wells, on Flickr
    If someone would like to participate and watch the fun but not necessarily fly, they can download BOB from ORBX and place themself at Reklaw and watch us come in one by one keeping track of our progress with us on TS3. I always use BOB when I am checking out a new airfield. Be like one of the spectators you added.

I've been pondering a date for this fly-in and wondering if we should look ahead to after the holidays as a workable time frame? This time of year is normally a busy time for many folks and while interest in a Fly-In or any MP session seems to be limited to a select few, maybe after the holidays we might pick up a few additional participants.

Any ideas?

Current System Specs:

Not a bad idea. I’m good either way but, like you said, might pick up one or two more fliers after the holidays.
    Duckie

Either Way

I agree with you on busy time though we have a couple weeks before Christmas. Maybe the few of us who said OK now can get together informally and iron out any bugs before we get a formal setup next year. But like Duckie, either way is fine with me.

I've been pondering a date for this fly-in and wondering if we should look ahead to after the holidays as a workable time frame? This time of year is normally a busy time for many folks and while interest in a Fly-In or any MP session seems to be limited to a select few, maybe after the holidays we might pick up a few additional participants.

Any ideas?
    Wellll...
    I'm easy either way. For the next week I just get to sit in the Mexican sun and sometimes fire up the old, creaky laptop with TS and FSX and idle away the hours. That does limit me to my choices of aircraft (partly because of the limited hardware - no pedals - and the small screen) but it works.

Once I get home I'll have to reinstall the airports on the desktop but otherwise will have a better setup to work with, although probably not til after the 26th.

Yeah, Ive stayed quiet until now because, after all the years of organizing races and events and Flight 19 plans, I'm quite happy to selfishly let others do the work
    I tested the route last night and it works with Milton's AC560 (140-180 Kts) as long as I'm careful. No trees in the way and deadly grass at KCRS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reklaw1.jpg  

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Hmmm sounds like a good idea. I am up for a little get flying after the first of the year.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Members who have read this thread: 1