Cockpit Freelook Mouse

Thread: Cockpit Freelook Mouse

Cockpit Freelook Mouse

Gentlemen, got a question for you if i may : has anybody lost his free mouse cockpit view lately ?....

I did for some time now and i can't seem to get it back. I believe it is called "Toggle Cockpit Freelook". If i remember correctly from when it worked i held the right mousebutton down and then could look all around the cockpit by moving the mouse around. Click it again and then the cursor would re-appear to operate/click stuff. It actually works the same as a hat switch. Remarkable thing is that in external view it *does* work like it always did but *not* in VC view.

I really miss that option while in the VC, can't even remember NOT having it around, driving me nuts

Maybe someone has a remedy ??.....

Thank you so much on forehand !

Charter Member 2011
    It'll be in the bindings - mine now works like this: mouse middle button toggles freelook but alas also switches to spotview.
    I use the keyboard to return to VC and works fine.
    Hard to keep up, I know.

Thank you Wing_Z ! Tried the midd mouse button but it doesn't do anything neither. The frustrating thing is that it has ALWAYS worked without a problem until probabely one of the latest upgrades. Luckily the hat switch of my new 'Velocity Flightstick' still lets me look around fine, it's just that when i'm clicking switches and other stuff it is very comfortable to look around with the mouse too.

Oh well, what else is new, éh ? Thanks again my friend

Sorry for

but this is starting to get really annoying ( not having look around mouse control in the VC ) particularly now with the 2 Latest Greatest Sensational Super Miracle Master Blaster Bloodboiling Beauties ( JF Vulcan and IFT/Heatblur Tomcat of course) to play around with.

Is there really no one else here that maybe has had that problem (possibly after the former patch) and possibly maybe found a way to remedy it ?

All hints and tips very very welcome ! Thank you so much !

"No dog, huh.... "

as we say here in Holland ( 'dog' could be replaced by 'chicken' if you like. I do understand it has no meaning what so ever around here. In the dutch language it says it all. Nobody around, no one whatsoever, no one interested, no one cares,.. "Geen hond.... geen kip..... "

Surprised nobody seems to miss it extremely, like i do. Do you guys all work with Track IR or something similar ? (i tried it once at a friend and hated it.... maybe i should reconsider...)

I googled it and i am certainly not the only one missing this option. It is clearly recognised as a bug. A very annoying bug if you ask me.. Sofar nobody came up with a solution, atleast not one that works for me.

Oh well, it's not the end of my virtual world, just incredibly annoying.

Blog Entries
    I never knew you could do that. Now, I miss it! I have frequently wanted to see more than I could swivel my head.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

I have so many things that work in the bindings page, but don't work inthe sim proper that I don't know where to start.

@Javis, the only things my mouse will do is move switches and knobs, and one click zoom and return. Nothing else. In the binding page, everything works.

When using any of my controllers, the only thins I can do with the cameras in proper movement with POV hat, but no freelook, no zoom, no lock, no instrument views, and to many more to list. Everything works in bindings page. This is with 4 different controllers! So it has to be something in the sim itself.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    I never knew you could do that. Now, I miss it! I have frequently wanted to see more than I could swivel my head.
    I can't remember the days i did not have this camera mode in the VC. It is THE one thing i really miss inside the VC atm. It also always worked with the external model and that still does work fine. But that's not very important because you can do that with the Hat switch as well of course. Very important in the VC because you can click and work with the mouse and at the same time look around 360 degrees. Extremely handy !

Atm, evertime i need to look around en click something i have to switch from my stick to my mouse and vice versa... pretty annoying !

(Of course we are blessed with VR, no need to first click and then look round, but lately with all this new stuff released i don't do much VR and VR with the F-14 is out of the question for me, atleast for the time being )

I suppose we need to struggle on until MSFS 2024 (hopefully at least ! ;-)

Jan , Did you have a look at the camera settings "ingame". There is an option to change it between : Hold and Toggle.
    Somehow my right mouse button does the hold thing and the middle mouse button does the toggle.
    snap02950 by Danny Best, on Flickr

snap02949 by Danny Best, on Flickr

Thanks Danny, interesting tip !

So many things i've tried without any luck so i wasn't too optimistic about it... Sure enough it did not make any difference neither when i tried changing Free Look Mode from Toggle to Hold.

I did stumble over a video that adressess this problem. The guy says that it has to do with the Turtlebeach V1 Flightstick. Coincidently i just bought this thing but the Mouse Cockpit Free Look dissappeared looong before i bought the V1. AFAIK it stopped working after one of latest updates. I did try his tip to delete the Hat switch bindings for the V1 and then the Mouse Free Look would work again but alas not for me...

He also showed how to make the V1 Hat switch work again together with the Mouse Free Look but i did not try that. The video is from Februari this year. I think by then i was still happily using my mouse to look around the VC.(together with the Hat switch of the stick i used then)

Anyway, for anyone interested here is the video : https://youtu.be/Axm9sGD2vJI?si=8aRpSGikVHme2rEv

Thanks again, Danny !

Members who have read this thread: 0