US Thanksgiving.

Thread: US Thanksgiving.

Cool US Thanksgiving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AmGo8m_pjk

A good day to launch FS9 and make a bunch of carrier traps.

I've edited my carriers to use this "LSO view" instead of the tower view.

Quote Originally Posted by Sbob View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AmGo8m_pjk

A good day to launch FS9 and make a bunch of carrier traps.

I've edited my carriers to use this "LSO view" instead of the tower view.
    Great idea!

Which idea?
    Getting re-qualled for deployment of adding the "LSO View"?

The edit for the tower view is pretty easy using AFCAD2, but I did figure out a couple of tricks to make it painless.

-Figure out WHICH BGL you need to edit. Using your map view, zoom in on the carrier to get the airport ID. In this case, I'll change the view for the USS Lincoln near Miramar (aircraft carries 2006 set, AC11 ). Make a back up of the BGL at this point and stick it somewhere outside the FS main folder, just in case. *

-Use an easy aircraft to putt around on deck. I use the Alphasim S55 because the view point is really close to the center of the rotor and its gear is very stable.

-The next part was a little tricky. Figure out which BGL you need to edit. Once you have the scenery loaded in FS, start AFCAD and load AC11. You should see the cross hair for your position on the flight deck. At this point select File and Properties in AFCAD to see the actual BGL name and location you'll be changing.

-Position yourself near the LSO area. In AFCAD, use the Add Tower View option and click on your position marker on the flight deck. For elevation, click the short runway to highlight it then right-click it to bring up the text box. Note the elevation listed (AC2006 uses a deck elevation of 72 feet). Now grab a tape rule and face a wall. Use the tape to measure the height of your eyes above the floor. Add this value to the deck height to figure out the elevation of your new tower view. Click on your new tower view icon then right-click to bring up the text.
    Add the tower view elevation. At this point, you're almost done. However, DO NOT use the SAVE function. Instead, use the SAVE AS function and navigate to the BGL you found earlier. *
    You SHOULD get a "replace this file?" message. Close AFCAD then restart FS to check your handy work.

Be aware this new tower view will be really close to your aircraft in the trap zone. If you don't see your plane in Tower View, hit the "-" sign several times and you should pop into view.

If you think trapping is fairly easy, line up for a landing and then switch to Tower View and grab a wire. It looks amazing. Otherwise, try saving a replay and use the Tower View to watch your full landing. It also looks really interesting AT NIGHT or in iffy weather.

*- This should work for all add-on carrier scenery UNLESS the AFCAD BGL was hex edited or was created with another program. If your AI traffic goes wonky or you have any other problems, re-install the back-up BGL you created.

Quote Originally Posted by Sbob View Post
    Which idea?
    Getting re-qualled for deployment or adding the "LSO View"? ...
    I meant making the tower view into LSO view. All it would take would be to locate the tower on the LSO platform with a height of abut six feet.

I don't usually use tower view at all; I substitute fly-by view. For two decades and three confutors I used Active Camera for that (so it was that way all the time) but when I couldn't get AC working on my current rig I substituted FS Fly By. Unlike AC, Fly By has to be turned on with a click on a drop-down menu, so if the tower was set for the LSO's view, all I'd have to do is leave Fly By off when I wanted to use the LSO view. Nifty!

All rather academic for me since I never get any time to fly anymore, but still interesting and maybe some day I'll get the time to actually do it.

Members who have read this thread: 0