City Textures rework - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: City Textures rework

Thanks Clive, this texture required a lot of road adjustments due to the poor quality of the original road mask. The next texture, largecity, wont need any road adjustment editing so it should go quicker. Its still quite messy where two textures join though.

I may remove the concrete texture because of distant repetitive tiling issues, but If that bit is darkened it may not be so obvious.

I like your Bob package buildings.

Blog Entries
    " I like your Bob package buildings"
    Would love to say that was my work but can't. John "Johnno UK" Benfield was the clever chap that did those. He repainted the stock texture sheet, very clever.
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Great work as Clive said. A couple of ?s, can terraced or 'row' houses be made, as many of UK towns had houses of this kind. as for roofs, many were slate or other dark material. Red was hardly ever used; if it was, it was darkened by pollution!

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Blog Entries
    Something like this James? Very much wip and has to be placed via the GSL.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CFS3_town_zpsoqfimwk1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	92424

"can terraced or 'row' houses be made, as many of UK towns had houses of this kind. as for roofs, many were slate or other dark material."

I could do that in blender, but I have little knowledge of the mos editor to position them with proper spacing on the map. For now I just want something that to me at least, is better than the current city textures.
    Later I may look into the mos editor in more depth.

The roof texture can be changed on the scenery sheet. I will give it a go.

Is there a GSL editor or must it be placed manually in the global_layer.csv file with notepad?

Clive, do we have the tools to turn those models into .sm files for scenery? They would be a major improvement!

Blog Entries
    Clive, do we have the tools to turn those models into .sm files for scenery? They would be a major improvement!
    There is a tool set Daniel, but I have yet to get them to work! They can work, I've seen the results but it needs more minds and time put to it.

Blog Entries
    Is there a GSL editor or must it be placed manually in the global_layer.csv file with notepad?
    There is an editor available on Martin Wrights website, it's good, but using the standard SDK .bat and notepad/Excell route is no more complicated. Either way you need to know the Lat/ Lon co-ordinates of what you want to place.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Pattle View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CFS3_town_zpsoqfimwk1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	92424
    Exactly, although it seems not that easy from what you all are saying. Would be nice though for allcountries. Has WOFF/WOTR ever tried to do this?

I replaced the terracotta roof tile with slate, historically accurate but aesthetically not as pleasing, but that's just my inner artist speaking. Ive always preferred a balance between aesthetically pleasing and historical accuracy when it comes to terrains. The slate tiles may grow on me though.

I placed highlights on the tree textures a while back because the 2D tree textures appeared a bit flat in game. I thought the trees were a bit dark in the screenshots so I brightened the tree texture and reduced the highlight a bit.

Good going R,

Ha ha more like rich surburbia there, with detatched houses and tree lined avenues.....I'd live there!

Of course UK's housing isn't all (lol) terraced slate roofed housing, but for the 'working masses' up to the 40's, it is the typical type of housing, as Pat is showing in his last post. (see Dover photos below)

Yes, I agree R, terracotta tiles do look more colourful/pleasing, but us dowdy Brits love a dark grey slate/concrete/asbestos roof tile

TBH, my mind is blown that we're discussing such minute ground detail of a 20yr old+ combat flight sim at all!....

Cheers

Shessi
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dover.jpg   Dover2.jpg   Dover3.jpg  

Yes, I agree R, terracotta tiles do look more colourful/pleasing, but us dowdy Brits love a dark grey slate/concrete/asbestos roof tile

Okay, I added some road detail and now you can see where aesthetics comes into play. Road detail combined with slate roofs looks damn ugly, too much grey, whereas terracota plus road detail looks balanced and real purty.

Last edited by rince33; December 1st, 2023 at 04:58.

I hate to be critical of others who put a great deal of effort into trying to make CFS3 better; however, IMHO, the ? is whether we want a realistic sim or a beautiful sim. Much or the UK, and probably Europe was pretty grim WRT housing and even roads, as illustrated by Shessi. Most house heating was by coal, so everything was covered with pollution, even the trees would have been a darker colour, in towns at least; even moths adapted to be a dark colour, as the trees were so effected by pollution. The roads, if Tarmac, would probably have been a dark grey, maybe lighter if gravel. Grass, whatever there was, would also be in bad quality.
    The makers of the sim probably lived in suburban USA, as I now do; very different from 1940's Europe!

However, your last picture is much more in the realistic direction, and I respect your efforts on this difficult task.

I really don't mind the criticism and I understand the desire for historical accuracy. I have seen some of the limited wartime colour footage that is available and I noticed that all stone buildings were a dirty black. The American bomber pilots used to say "If you want to find England, just look for the biggest, dirtiest cloud and that goddamn island will be under it" or something to that effect. I had already decided to keep the slate roofs for the sake of historical accuracy.

I removed some of the buildings between Ramsgate and Margate. I'll make a start on the next city landclass texture tomorrow.

Totally agree with M.

And I think you've put it into perspective R with that superb overhead long distance shot of Ramsgate, that it looks so much better, more accurate and immersive with what you're done so far, what sort of level do we really need from 2000ft plus?!

Cheers

Shessi

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

Thoughts - Nightime

Your work is amazing and thanks for the effort. Would like to know, given that the Ruhr was the industrial center in the Reich, and usually covered in smoke from the factories, do we have a way to replicate this?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NachtPiloten View Post
    Your work is amazing and thanks for the effort. Would like to know, given that the Ruhr was the industrial center in the Reich, and usually covered in smoke from the factories, do we have a way to replicate this?
    Hey Ted, Gecko and I made a "towering smoke column" for Dunkirk which turned out pretty cool. But rather than lots of FPS sapping effects, I wonder if it may be easier to portray burning cities with a 'weather' file? I.e. low level black clouds.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Pattle View Post
    Hey Ted, Gecko and I made a "towering smoke column" for Dunkirk which turned out pretty cool. But rather than lots of FPS sapping effects, I wonder if it may be easier to portray burning cities with a 'weather' file? I.e. low level black clouds.
    Not to totally take over this thread, I use Pat's smoke and fire columns as facilities in missions, however I have wanted to have industrial smog or haze as weather files, but so far my attempts have been pretty bad. I think Andy M might be better at this, or some of the old ETO guys. We definitely need weather files for local weather effects, both in Germany, but also for England. As I'm on the topic of weather files, some upper level jet stream weather would be nice, as BC missions were often driven off course by those winds. Again my attempts have not been great to say the least. Maybe any more on this can be on a new thread. Maybe any more on this can be on a new thread. see http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...10#post1324510

I messed around with the landclassess.xml file, removing some city mos files that didn't work, too many trees, and decided to read up on the landclass dimensions in the projected knowledge base. I decreased the size of some of the lanclasses to 4096 and I was really impressed with the result, smaller textures and more dense cities. Buildings at Dover were a bit sparse but now it looks exactly the way I want, very excited I must say. The Dover harbour texture needs to be darkened a bit.

Impressive work! A comment on the trees - I think much of the reason for flat looking trees is inadequately tuned shaders and sun effect. Trees tend to be noticeably darker than the surrounding land, but what you're seeing that's missing is how the sun can light them up. I've spent some time working on my own and in conjunction with Ankor to fine tune the shaders implementation to make the most of its capabilities. It isn't done yet, but when it is, I think the highlights will look out of place because they are static and always present, while everything is being lit dynamically.

Hi gecko. When you have completed the work on your shaders it will take no time to restore the trees to their original flatness. I can provide an unaltered tree scenery sheet in preparation for your shaders.

Darkened the trees a bit and removed some saturation.

Looking great!
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Members who have read this thread: 70