Westland Whirlwind

Thread: Westland Whirlwind

Westland Whirlwind

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category P3D / P4D Add-Ons - Military aircraft

Description: The Westland Whirlwind was a British twin-engined fighter developed by Westland Aircraft. A contemporary of the Supermarine Spitfire and Hawker Hurricane it was the first single-seat, twin-engined, cannon-armed fighter of the Royal Air Force
    When it first flew in 1938 the Whirlwind was one of the fastest combat aircraft in the world and with four 20 mm Hispano-Suiza HS.404 autocannon in its nose, the most heavily armed.Protracted development problems with its Rolls-Royce Peregrine engines delayed the project and only 114 Whirlwinds were built. During the Second World War only three RAF squadrons were equipped with the aircraft and despite its success as a fighter and ground attack aircraft it was withdrawn from service in 1943.
    For P3Dv6/5

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Westland Whirlwind
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

What a great looking aircraft thank you for sharing. Would it work in P3Dv4?

Quote Originally Posted by SgtT View Post
    What a great looking aircraft thank you for sharing. Would it work in P3Dv4?
    Hey SgtT, it says so in the text: for P3D / P4D !

I have this one in MSFS by Rob and it is brilliant!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Thanks Priller,

I downloaded it and and installed it in P3Dv4 and it's great!

Anyone know if this could be made to work in P3D v1-3 or FSX? I downloaded the file but the file structure is not like anything I've seen for FSX.
    Larry

Foe FSX, this one might be a better choice! https://www.fs2000.org/2020/09/19/fs...lwind-updated/
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by Tako_Kichi View Post
    Anyone know if this could be made to work in P3D v1-3 or FSX? I downloaded the file but the file structure is not like anything I've seen for FSX.
    It should work fine in FSX. Just put the last Whirlwind folder (containing model, texture, panel and sound folders) in your simobjects\airplanes folder and you should be good to go.

Not sure whether the gauges will work, but it's worth a try, believe me!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

SOH-CM-2022
    Quote Originally Posted by Tako_Kichi View Post
    It should work in FSX / 32 bit P3D. I don't see any PBR texturing that would be a stopper.

If it doesn't you can download my native conversion of the TCWCT ex payware model. Not that it will be a patch on this one. I Know what I will be flying the wings off this weekend.

Thanks so much for this Rob - another masterpiece.

Gavin

I'm glad to see Rob is still creating absolute bangers for P3D. I'm also ecstatic to see such an underrated and underappreciated aircraft getting some more love in the sim. She looks drop-dead gorgeous, and with a bit of tweaking, flies like a dream. Many thanks again, Rob! You're great at what you do!

And for those wondering, no this addon will not work in FSX. It's P3Dv4 native (PV44MDLH) and does utilize PBR textures marked as "_REFLECT". You could try to run both interior and exterior models through ModelConverterX and export it as an MDLX file though. It's not guaranteed to work but there's only one way to find out.

[QUOTE=InDeepSchit;a bit of tweaking,.[/QUOTE]
    Care to share?

The model looks great! And the Whirlwind is definitely an interesting aircraft. If anyone is able to do a conversion, I would really be interested in a FSX version.

All effort is appreciated,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by robcarrich View Post
    Care to share?
    Sure thing! I've attached a new aircraft.cfg with updates to the engines, fuel, flight tuning, airplane geometry, flaps, and an extensive overhaul of the contact points. I've also included a super smokey and satisfying startup effect. Speaking of effects, there's a few lines of messy looking text (under [EFFECTS] of course) in the cfg that add some visual enhancers from PrecipitFX. If you're not in possession of these files then all you have to do is delete said lines of text. Enjoy!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by InDeepSchit View Post
    I've attached a new aircraft.cfg
    Great job!
    The contact point update is spot on!
    Really excellent work on the engine and other mods, I can see a lot of work went into that!
    Some of the Whirlwind lighting is on attach points and coded into the model, I will at some point have another look at the cockpit lighting.
    You might want to take a look at some of your lighting entries.
    Thanks for your hard work.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by robcarrich View Post
    Great job!
    The contact point update is spot on!
    Really excellent work on the engine and other mods, I can see a lot of work went into that!
    Some of the Whirlwind lighting is on attach points and coded into the model, I will at some point have another look at the cockpit lighting.
    You might want to take a look at some of your lighting entries.
    Thanks for your hard work.

Rob
    Always happy to help! Your appreciation is very much appreciated!

Members who have read this thread: 10