Flight Replicas releases Spitfire Mk.1a and Mk.IIa for MSFS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flight Replicas releases Spitfire Mk.1a and Mk.IIa for MSFS

Flight Replicas releases Spitfire Mk.1a and Mk.IIa for MSFS

They all start with a full bag of luck and an empty bag of experience .
    The trick is, to fill the bag with experience before you run out of luck . . .

One slight issue, unless it's me is the artificial horizon seems to be inverted so when i go up it goes down.

As ever with Flight Replicas, it looks gorgeous, and absolutely accurate too. Unfortunately, Flying Iron's Mk.IX is enough Spitfire for me, but I'm looking forward to seeing the Halifax and/or Liberator in MSFS one day. Those are the two of Mike's models I really want.

Quote Originally Posted by noddy View Post
    One slight issue, unless it's me is the artificial horizon seems to be inverted so when i go up it goes down.

The animation does appear to have become reversed. That'll be fixed. Thanks!

For a few users, sound is an issue, as well. That'll be fixed, too, obviously.

Mike

Many thanks Mike, lovely job.

The long range model just looks so wrong, how to make a beautiful aweful. But good to see it being included.

Quote Originally Posted by noddy View Post
    Many thanks Mike, lovely job.

The long range model just looks so wrong, how to make a beautiful aweful. But good to see it being included.
    Yes, there's very little technical info about that idea, but it certainly is distinctive. I can't quite get my head around why they decided to put the tank out on the left wing, where even the prop torque alone would make the imbalance worse. I can see how cameras in the right wing might balance out the weight - but there's still going to be a difference as the fuel is used up. Perhaps one day more info will turn up.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
    As ever with Flight Replicas, it looks gorgeous, and absolutely accurate too. Unfortunately, Flying Iron's Mk.IX is enough Spitfire for me, but I'm looking forward to seeing the Halifax and/or Liberator in MSFS one day. Those are the two of Mike's models I really want.
    Indeed. I would trade any of these in a heartbeat for a Mosquito, but I do understand the love affair for some.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

I'm one of the people with sound issues (external sounds seem bugged somehow) but man, this is such a beautifully crafted addon. I flew it for an hour last night and loved every second!

Some screenshots during yesterday's flight in the beautiful Santa Clara valley, California.

https://imgur.com/a/Ek8GxuR

Visually the most stunning and accurate rendition of a Spitfire in any sim too date!

Fantastic job Mike - roll on the MK.Vs!

Cheers

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    I would trade any of these in a heartbeat for a Mosquito...
    Can't argue with that, especially if it was the bomber/recon version, with the glass nose and the split windscreen. Much nicer looking than the FB.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
    Can't argue with that, especially if it was the bomber/recon version, with the glass nose and the split windscreen. Much nicer looking than the FB.
    There is a designer who has been working on a Mossie on and off for over a year. Maybe I should encourage them to get back to it!!
    - Kenneth

Very nice rendition of the type. Only issues for me seem to be very sluggish engine acceleration/deceleration and not having a fully castoring tailwheel. Love to see the LR variant included too!

I would say make sure the steering angle on the tail wheel is set to 180°, but if this is Marketplace, then that file will be locked.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Is this referring to the FR Spitfire? Because the tailwheel is free-castoring....

It is referring to the FR Spitfire yes. Seems to be steered only by the rudder as in a steerable tail wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad617 View Post
    It is referring to the FR Spitfire yes. Seems to be steered only by the rudder as in a steerable tail wheel.
    I think you'll find it's just that the large rudder is very effective with propwash over it. But the tailwheel is free castoring.

Incidentally, some have wondered about the torque steer on take-off. Had a good long chat with one of BM957's ground crew today (BM957 is a Mk.V, and is in the upcoming Mk.V package), and as a part of that he called up one of BM957's pilots. He confirmed that no rudder trim is necessary on take off, that rudder alone can handle it quite easily.

Also, a comment on boost used when flying Spitfires today: "Max on our engines is +8 but in practice we limit to +6 for take off/display, +4 for climb and from 0 to +2 for cruise."

Tailwheel:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	46.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	92327

Hello Mike,
    That beast is beautiful and from wht I've read flies well which is great!
    But the sounds... are a real NO GO for me...
    Will you improve them one day?
    Cheers,

Stéph.

Hi Stéph - Yes, with the upcoming update, we'll have to do something for those who are having trouble with the custom sounds. It may be that the Asobo 'P-51' sounds are used alone (which EM957's ground crew said are good, although he can tell they're from a later Merlin - although latest word is that the custom sounds are growing on him), or that the option will be available to keep the custom sounds (many are liking them) but the user will have the option of switching to Asobo's.

Still getting initial feedback from users. We'll wait another week and then the update will be put together. The Artificial Horizon is fixed, and the trim tabs now move on the external model. Going to try and get back in touch with BM597's pilot today (or when possible), to pin down take off behaviour - some of us sim pilots are convinced it should swing more and is too easy (which I would agree should be more in a Spitfire with a longer nose and heavier prop, such as the Mk.IX - and slightly more so on the Mk.V, given the greater low speed 'bite' of the wide-cord blades), but will obviously go with what ever comes from the better source!

Trivia learned: did you know that a single Spitfire tire today costs approx. $1060 US, and is good for only approx. 28 landings on concrete (not grass)?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	399939461_3486824174905675_7695464393432827662_n.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	92329

Mike

Is the aircraft.cfg included in the marketplace offering? It would be so easy for a buyer to alias the sound from the "competing Spitfire" as a temporary measure.
    - Kenneth

some of us sim pilots are convinced it should swing more and is too easy

Except in a real taildragger, you can feel the plane as it yaws one way or the other. You get none of that in a flight sim. A real, experienced pilot can generally keep a plane under control on takeoff/landing by sensing the motion and instinctively countering. You get none of that feedback in a sim, so it's much harder if you don't somehow compensate for the lack of feel.

I call it Oleg Syndrome. Making planes significantly harder to fly in sims than in real life by simulating all the numbers and not compensating at all for the complete lack of sensation.

In the late 90's I flew multiplayer flight sims against the Blue Angels. And for the first 10 minutes or so, I waxed them left and right because they had none of the sense feedback they were used to. (Then they did some of that pilot sh1t and learned how to compensate and put me in my rightful place.) They thought the systems/visual simulation was great but really hated the lack of physical feedback.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post

Except in a real taildragger, you can feel the plane as it yaws one way or the other. You get none of that in a flight sim. A real, experienced pilot can generally keep a plane under control on takeoff/landing by sensing the motion and instinctively countering. You get none of that feedback in a sim, so it's much harder if you don't somehow compensate for the lack of feel.

I call it Oleg Syndrome. Making planes significantly harder to fly in sims than in real life by simulating all the numbers and not compensating at all for the complete lack of sensation.

In the late 90's I flew multiplayer flight sims against the Blue Angels. And for the first 10 minutes or so, I waxed them left and right because they had none of the sense feedback they were used to. (Then they did some of that pilot sh1t and learned how to compensate and put me in my rightful place.) They thought the systems/visual simulation was great but really hated the lack of physical feedback.

This is exactly right.

Members who have read this thread: 9