While youre in a painting mood Huub,

Thread: While youre in a painting mood Huub,

While youre in a painting mood Huub,

Any chance of an ASR spitfire paint like this , coded BA for 277 Sqn, it would fit in with Friston Scenery, ta very much

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/...ire-asr-mkiic/

https://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=85421

(or a Defiant..left field choice https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/...-mki-finished/)

And if rest of you wondering what ASR Spitfires did.. they were rapid intervention and top cover for downed aircrew until they could be picked up by rescue launches or amphibious aircraft ( like Walrus, or Catalina);
    their first task on scene was to drop a dinghy pack (they carried them in the flare chutes in the fuselage) as the spitfires used on squadrons did not carry a dinghy as a matter of course.

More background reading in this .pdf document : https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/documen...Journal-40.pdf

ttfn

Pete

Hi Pete,

The Defiant is still on my (far too long) to-do list. However this will take some time as I need to create a complete paintkit.

As I already have paintkits for both the AH as the A2A Spitfire a quick and dirty repaint for one of these shouldn't be a problem. In both cases it will be a Mk.Ia dressed up as an Mk.V as I don't expect the ASR Spitfires were equipped with guns. For me there is no way to add a raft of dinghy as I don't have the skills to change models.

As long as it keeps raining here in the Netherlands I will keep painting, but as soon as the rain stops, I do want to spend some time outside on my bike.

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Hi Pete,

The Defiant is still on my (far too long) to-do list. However this will take some time as I need to create a complete paintkit.

As I already have paintkits for both the AH as the A2A Spitfire a quick and dirty repaint for one of these shouldn't be a problem. In both cases it will be a Mk.Ia dressed up as an Mk.V as I don't expect the ASR Spitfires were equipped with guns. For me there is no way to add a raft of dinghy as I don't have the skills to change models.

As long as it keeps raining here in the Netherlands I will keep painting, but as soon as the rain stops, I do want to spend some time outside on my bike.

Cheers,
    Huub
    Thanks Huub,

actually the ASR Spitfires were still fully armed, both for self protection, and to 'see off' anyone harassing downed aircrews, for the greater duration of the war the MKII was used, the MK V only appearing late in the war.

Ttfn

Pete

Hi Pete,

I will do a repaint based on the AH Spitfire Mk.Ib, as I was reading that some, but most likely all ASR Sptifires were equipped with "universal or C-type" wings. So I expect they had both cannons and machine guns.

Incident Supermarine Spitfire Mk IIc (ASR) P8667, (aviation-safety.net)

Cheers,
    Huub

There is a lot of information about these aircraft! Thanks for supplying me the links.

The subject I have chosen is the Spitfire Mk.IIa P3750, which is still flying with the BBMF.

However I have some questions left..... What are your thoughts about colours?

I have painted the BA-Y in a standard Maritime scheme (Extra Dark Sea Grey, Dark Slate Grey with Sky Grey lower surfaces.). But when I look at pictures from this aircraft, it seems the upper surfaces are just painted extra dark sea grey, without the dark slate grey. I also see profiles which show this aircraft in a standard fighter scheme (Ocean Grey, Dark green with Medium Sea Grey lower surfaces). I see profiles where the aircraft has sky-S lower surfaces. To summarise, I see every possible combination of colours! So I'm a bit puzzled.

Cheers,
    Huub

Hi huub,

What does that document I sent you over say?
    Should be the 1942 " Temperate Land Scheme" as these were Fighter Command squadrons ( not Coastal Command)

There were disparities between 276 and 277 squadron it would seem, even within same roles.

Looking good though. Thanks

Ttfn

Pete

Ps. 277 was the squadron that rescued the most downed aircrew, 586 . Can't find out how many ' assists' there were. They operated as both on standing patrols in a sector of the Channel, and when scrambled by Fighter Command HQ.

Well that is exactly my point. In your document there isn't anything very specific about the ASR Spitfires. It describes the markings and camouflage schemes for landplanes and for RAF flying-boats, float planes and amphibians. For me the ASR Spitfires does not really fit in either of the two categories. The black recognition stripe which was introduced February 1943, to warn naval gunner not to shoot their own aircraft, isn't mentioned in the document as well.

The model behind the link towards britmoddeller in your first post, is definitely not painted in a "temperate land scheme" but looks like it is painted in the "temperate sea scheme".

From 1997 until 2000 the P7350 from the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight was painted in the ASR colours, it had worn during the war. The aircraft definitely looks like it has Sky type under surfaces and the finishing of the upper surfaces doesn't look like the "temperate land scheme" to me. The Sky type-S lower surfaces are confirmed by the description given with the Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IIa BBMF Pt.2 Decal set, released by Warbirds decals.

Picture by Joop de Groot at airfighter.com

In the camouflage & Marking release "Supermarine Spitfire" it is mentioned that the ASR Spitfires were painted the standard day fighter scheme with night (black) stripe along the underside of the fuselage. However there are no photo's to support this. However I'm convinced the BBMF knew what they were doing when they painted the P7350 in 1997.....convinced the BBMF knew what they were doing when they painted the P7350 in 1997.....

The only clear wartime picture I could find from an ASR Spitfire in the standard scheme is from the Mk.Vb BL591, which was taken late summer 1944. I'm convinced this one was painted in the temperate land scheme.

But obviously this is not painted in the standard land scheme

So I'm still a bit confused and puzzled.

Cheers,
    Huub

It is a few minutes job to change scheme, but when you want to use the standard "temperate land scheme" the next question arrives.....

Yellow wing edges and how wide? (I know they still need some work)

Or not....

Cheers,
    Huub

I've dug through my Spitfire books and the info on these ASR Spits is limited, but I did find this colour plate in the Mushroom book. Not the Mk II you have selected, but I thought it might be of some help ..... or it might just muddy the waters further! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ASR Spits.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	92244
    Andy

Thanks Andy, but based on the photo of this aircraft, I posted a few posts back, I was already convinced that this Mk.Vb was painted in the standard temperate land scheme. What I'm wondering is whether the Mk.II Spitfires were painted in the same scheme, or in the temperate sea scheme like the amphibian aircraft, flying boats and floats equipped aircraft.

One of the previous schemes form the BBMF Spitfires and some pictures do suggest this (at least to my opinion).

Cheers,
    Huub

Hi Huub ,

Thanks for your efforts, don't know if you do
    The Facebook thing but theres a chap on there doing colourised images from WW2, he's done that one of the groundcrew loading the dinghy kit , with a good explanation too. here's the page

https://www.facebook.com/rafcommand

And picture

https://m.facebook.com/rafcommand/ph...034866/?type=3

Ttfn

Pete

Huub,
    As far as I know,the BBMF do research their colour schemes very thoroughly to get everything as historically correct as possible,the only thing that isn't changed is the aircraft's serial number as in when MK356(the MkIX)was done as MJ250/UF*Q
    from 601 Sqn,she retained her MK356 serial in the usual position,so I'd say that when P7 was done in her ASR colour scheme it would 100% correct.

I just want to say that this is the part of SoH that I really love - a great discussion about the technicalities and validity of a colour scheme.

Thank you all for your contributions,
    Ro

Some repaints for the nice PZL P-11, by Shessi, should be welcome ...

Members who have read this thread: 0