Famous Flyer #7: Mitsubishi Heavy Industries MU-2

Thread: Famous Flyer #7: Mitsubishi Heavy Industries MU-2

Famous Flyer #7: Mitsubishi Heavy Industries MU-2

The model is released, can we get a sticky?

My initial impressions. It is a very nice model, especially at $9.99 US. The exterior is very sharp. The VC is well defined but underwhelming in the texture dept. The model flies very well and it is a rocket ship like the real bird. Things to remember, fly it onto the ground at power, don't retard the throttles too early or you will hit pretty hard. Trim is your friend! That all being noted. The options of legacy and modern avionics and layout is cool BUT with the spaces the modern boxes are in, it would have been nice to have a panel autopilot rather than the legacy type down at the bottom of the pedestal. Other than that, I am glad we finally have a Moo in this sim.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (10521).jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	249.9 KB 
ID:	92150Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (10522).jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	403.5 KB 
ID:	92151Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (10525).jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	296.6 KB 
ID:	92152Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (10524).jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	219.5 KB 
ID:	92153

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, the cockpit textures are not the greatest (someone over at flightsim.to will probably take care of that). It's fun and different to fly, though, and it's well worth the $10. I wish the weight and balance let you add passenger weight in the PAX cabin instead of just generic "cargo" for both the PAX and cargo versions. Also, the cabin door can be opened from the pilot's chair (with head tracking), but can't be closed without moving the camera to the back to click on the handle. I also wish there were more liveries that allowed dynamic reg. (only the white, the xbox, and the club textures do). Those are minor gripes. Overall, I really like it.
    --Brian

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post
    The model is released, can we get a sticky?
    Of course!

I'll get it tomorrow. It's 19:55 local and this is the first time I've been on either computer all day, and I'm heading out in a few to see some friends at the local gentlemen's club.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

So, be careful in icing conditions. As far as I can tell, the windshield anti-ice doesn't work at all. The switches are non-functional, and the cabin heat didn't seem to do anything for the windshield. I had to land this morning like this (sorry about the triple attachment -- it's very early here, and I just had a stressful flight):

Name:	IcyMU2.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	151.8 KB 
ID:	92162Click image for larger version. 

ID:	92162Click image for larger version. 

ID:	92162
    --Brian

Downloading now - apparently over a string between two tin cans, and the string isn't quite tight enough...
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

I think I'll print out the manual page that covers the AP before I try my first flight...
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

I really like it, sometimes tricky to fly but interesting because of that.
    People on the official forum complain its not the newest biggest fastest most automated variant but I prefer old, dirty and needing to be flown

There are bugs, the trim wheel animation is under-geared and reversed and you can get lost below -6% and need to reverse trim until it works again.
    Take off trim needs to be right or the take-off can be exciting...

I fly the classic cockpit and can get VOR tracking and ILS hold to work but others have trouble...you have to have your ducklings in a row before engaging the appropriate AP mode or it won't latch ON.
    I've flown an autopilot ILS landing right down to the ground just handling the throttles.

Manual doesn't add a lot really...

One thing that may help someone. This addon took away all my ATC audio in all my aircraft. I could hear my own voice and see the text of the replies, but I couldn't hear the replies at all. It took me a while to figure out that the MU-2 initially loads with the radio volume knobs turned completely off. I don't know why that turned it off in all my other planes, but it did. Make sure you check your radio volume.
    --Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Killbilly View Post
    One thing that may help someone. This addon took away all my ATC audio in all my aircraft. I could hear my own voice and see the text of the replies, but I couldn't hear the replies at all. It took me a while to figure out that the MU-2 initially loads with the radio volume knobs turned completely off. I don't know why that turned it off in all my other planes, but it did. Make sure you check your radio volume.
    Thank you for this Killbilly; I've had the same issue and couldn't work out why.

I spoke with my MU-2 Authority this evening. The conclusion is that this model falls terribly short in terms of systems coding and performance compared to the old Flysimware version (last updated for P3D). Since this thing is hard coded, no chance of third party persons building post-release improvements that will be meaningful. Hope Asobo and iniBuilds addresses a few things but also hopeful that Flysimware will eventually rebuild their version.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post
    I spoke with my MU-2 Authority this evening. The conclusion is that this model falls terribly short in terms of systems coding and performance compared to the old Flysimware version (last updated for P3D). Since this thing is hard coded, no chance of third party persons building post-release improvements that will be meaningful. Hope Asobo and iniBuilds addresses a few things but also hopeful that Flysimware will eventually rebuild their version.
    Yes, the Inibuilds is not the best in terms of systems or sounds. But to compare it with Flysimware Moo with 40 Dollars it is not fair. For me in P3D the Flysimware rendition was a desaster, I updated it two or three times, but never got happy, At least I rest it into my hangar and it is still there mothballs until today. Today, the Inibulds for 10 bucks is much more fun to fly.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by TiAr View Post
    Yes, the Inibuilds is not the best in terms of systems or sounds. But to compare it with Flysimware Moo with 40 Dollars it is not fair. For me in P3D the Flysimware rendition was a desaster, I updated it two or three times, but never got happy, At least I rest it into my hangar and it is still there mothballs until today. Today, the Inibulds for 10 bucks is much more fun to fly.

Thomas
    My point was that with the FSW version, you could fly by the numbers and checklist. Most things were dead on even though by todays standards, that visual model is hopelessly obsolete. The iniBuilds model looks good but a lot is missing so much that could make it an exceptional model. Even if it remains basic, the perfs are way off as well and need to be updated. Sadly it's just an undercooked model.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

$10 purchase.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    $10 purchase.
    it is a steal on that introduction discount price

This just got updated and is MUCH better. Still a lack of good liveries, the funky cockpit textures (though there are some mods); but the windshield de-icing works now, the flight model is better, and the addition of a second GPS is very handy. The main thing is that the annoying radio volume issue has been fixed. I just had a couple of really enjoyable flights in it.

Hopefully now some folks will take up the paintbrush. The MU-2 is in dire need of new clothes.
    --Brian

Yes, the power/drag issue is fixed which was detracting from what the MU-2 is all about, SPEED. I hope at some point they re-code the throttle quadrant so the startup and shutdown is correct. There is a great deal of potential for this model.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bit surprised nobody has taken a paint brush to this beauty as of yet. Curious if Inibuilds is going to offer an extended cabin version ?? ... hint hint

Quote Originally Posted by Aircanuck View Post
    Bit surprised nobody has taken a paint brush to this beauty as of yet. Curious if Inibuilds is going to offer an extended cabin version ?? ... hint hint
    Like the following?

Name:	IMG_20231118_180638__01.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	252.6 KB 
ID:	92314Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20231118_180138.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	308.7 KB 
ID:	92315

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Goldman View Post
    Like the following?

Name:	IMG_20231118_180638__01.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	252.6 KB 
ID:	92314Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20231118_180138.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	308.7 KB 
ID:	92315
    Very nice! Where?
    --Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Killbilly View Post
    Very nice! Where?
    It will be available here.
    Still have a few things to do. The package will include four folders.
    1. New spinning prop textures that affect all repaints.
    2. New COMP files that affect all repaints.
    3. The Sun-Moon repaint depicted above.
    4. New interior seat textures that affect all repaints.
    I am also debating adding a second repaint, exactly as above but in Red.

Stay tuned.

Best
    Jim

Well, it looks like beautiful work, and she'd look pretty in red, too. Thanks. The new prop and interior will be much appreciated as well.
    --Brian

Members who have read this thread: 0