Hurricane Vice Air Marshal Keith Park

Thread: Hurricane Vice Air Marshal Keith Park

Repaint Question. AVM Keith Park's personal Hurricane

Anyone know if Keith Park's OK-1, his personal Hawker
    Hurricane during Battle of Britain has been painted up for fs2004?

Thanks

Pete

Something like this Pete?

I don't know whether there is a different repaint, but I have this one on my HD. It is the very busy category "nearly finished". It is done for the freeware AH Hurricane.

The letter from the registration code are too big and in the wrong position, and I think I should remove the dirt from the guns as I don't think the vice air-marshal fire his guns that much.

Cheers,
    Huub

Icon18

While you're there cleaning the Hurri up, re-tex AVM Park's flying suit, as he wore a white one (off white really, of the Sidcott type). Some say he was a good ol' boy, and that he wore it so that when he landed and got out, the white flying suit alerted staff and stopped any faux pas about his rank and who he was......

Cheers

Shessi

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Something like this Pete?

That'll do nicely Huub, oh and he might have used his guns on ops, he flew 2 operational sorties in July 1940 ( see this website) has pictures of his log book

https://www.aucklandmuseum.com/war-m...res/Keith-Park

Ttfn

Pete
    Last edited by Motormouse; October 25th, 2023 at 16:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    While you're there cleaning the Hurri up, re-tex AVM Park's flying suit, as he wore a white one (off white really, of the Sidcott type). Some say he was a good ol' boy, and that he wore it so that when he landed and got out, the white flying suit alerted staff and stopped any faux pas about his rank and who he was......

Cheers

Shessi
    Only in the movie..in reality more of a natural light tan; with a white flying helmet, picture here -----> https://ajrctguoxo.cloudimg.io/v7/ht...t&gravity=face

ttfn

Pete
    Last edited by Motormouse; October 26th, 2023 at 03:23.

Strange enough, but Sir Keith Park, will look a bit like the AH pilot in the Spitfire prototype I repainted........

I think Trevor Howard was wearing an ordinary work overall in the movie, with Sir Keith Park was wearing a flight overall of a type which could be worn in unheated cockpits.

What I didn't know that he was actually a WWI ace. Although I'm not quite sure how this worked for Bristol Fighter pilots, as they should perhaps share their kill with the rear gunner....
    There also the usual confusion. 14 kills according the Ministry, 20 kills according the documentation of 48 squadron and 24 according his biographer...

Cheers,
    Huub

Icon5

Pedantically neither......

https://www.motat.nz/collections-and...ing-coveralls/

Cheers

Shessi

p.s....closer to 'off-white' than 'light tan'....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails large_EQU_004015_B.jpg  

Strange enough, but Sir Keith Park, will look a bit like the AH pilot in the Spitfire prototype I repainted........

I think Trevor Howard was wearing an ordinary work overall in the movie, with Sir Keith Park was wearing a flight overall of a type which could be worn in unheated cockpits.

What I didn't know that he was actually a WWI ace. Although I'm not quite sure how this worked for Bristol Fighter pilots, as they should perhaps share their kill with the rear gunner....
    There also the usual confusion. 14 kills according the Ministry, 20 kills according the documentation of 48 squadron and 24 according his biographer...

Cheers,
    Huub
    I've read that the Brisfit became a successful fighter only after pilots learned to forget about the rear gunner and fly it as if it was a single seater.

Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    Pedantically neither......

Cheers

Shessi

p.s....closer to 'off-white' than 'light tan'....
    Wearing a different one in the photo alongside his Hurricane here --> https://theaviationgeekclub.com/here...le-of-britain/

ttfn

Pete

Maybe that was his Sunday best, a more sobre version for church, not the Persil white one for work days??

S

Now, what is 'off-white'? It could be off with any hue, blue, red, green, sky-blue-pink-with-red-polka-dots? You catch ma drift? That suit looks like it's 'off' hue being tan. Thus making it light-tan. Pity, powder pink might be utterly spiffing!!

Icon22

Ha ha...well the dictionary definition of 'off-white', and as I thought it was, is....''Something that is off-white is not pure white, but slightly grey or yellow''. And if you think you can define light tan from a black and white photo, or the photo of the real thing is light tan, then I think Spec Savers is a callin'...mind you I expect in Abberdeen, that not getting the sun much in between horizontal rain, that would be light tan to you.....ha ha!!

S

ps...I laughing so much at this...thinking we must get out more often!! lol

I think it is finished. I hope you are all satisfied with the looks of Sir Keith Park. It should be available in the library soon.

Now a few questions to you all. Where does the tree-headed Cerberus dog (?) at the starboard side of the fuselage, just below and behind the canopy, come from? And where does OK-1 come from? My best guess was "Ober-Kommando Einz" to confuse the Germans..... And concerning the Cerberus badge; perhaps the Hurricane was maintained by No.98 Bomber Squadron at Gatwick, which flew some Hurricanes on patrol as well.

Cheers,
    Huub

Hurricane Vice Air Marshal Keith Park

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category FS 2004 Military skins - World War II

Description: This package contains a repaint for the freeware FS2004 Aeroplane Heaven Hawker Hurricane. The textures show the Hawker Hurrricane P3854 flown by Vice Air Marshal Keith Park. Who became famous as the commanding officer of Group 11, defending the South East from England, during the Battle of Britain. Sir Keith Park was New Zealand born officer, who became an ace in WWI. He was a very capable commander and although he is best known for his role in the Battle of Britain he deserves more credits as he has been active an many others theatres of war, where he played a less known, but definite not a less important role.

I wish to thank the guys from Aeroplane Heaven for making this very nice model, which was the perfect canvas for my repaints. And Martin Wright for his simple but indispensable graphic tools, as without his dtx1 bitmap manipulator these textures simply wouldn't be there.

Enjoy,Huub
    October 2023

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Hurricane Vice Air Marshal Keith Park
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

That's a great way to finish this Huub, a beautiful re-paint, and it's rare to be able to get added authenticity as with his flight gear...good stuff..

Cheers

Shessi

ps. Did i ask you what sheen/shine settings you use for this type of ac?

Have you already looked at the pilot's face? I did an attempt, but can't really change the AH pilot into Sir Keith Park, but at least he has his moustache

@shessi, I can't recall I have ever made some changes to the original AH model file and as it is from June 2006, I don't think I ever did. So think must be the original "sheen/shine settings" by Aeroplane Heaven.

@rohan My pleasure and enjoy

Cheers,
    Huub

I think it is finished. I hope you are all satisfied with the looks of Sir Keith Park. It should be available in the library soon.

Now a few questions to you all. Where does the tree-headed Cerberus dog (?) at the starboard side of the fuselage, just below and behind the canopy, come from? And where does OK-1 come from? My best guess was "Ober-Kommando Einz" to confuse the Germans..... And concerning the Cerberus badge; perhaps the Hurricane was maintained by No.98 Bomber Squadron at Gatwick, which flew some Hurricanes on patrol as well.

Cheers,
    Huub
    1) Letter O was Central Flying School code, as was K, I'll see if I can find official allocation for the serial on rafweb, it had previously been VY-Q of 85 Sqn, used by a certain Peter Townsend.
    2) Looking at his flying logbook, aeroplane was kept at Northolt ( close to Uxbridge) probably maintained by whatever unit was resident there.
    3) As far as I can find out, Cerberus was used as an unofficial patch by one of New Zealand Army regiments in WW1 ( Park was at Gallipoli with NZ Army) , so I expect its a throwback to the regiment he was first commissioned in.

Cheers

Pete

Ps. By the time 98 Sqn received Hurricanes they were in residence in Iceland, having g moved with their Fairey Battles from Gatwick via Wick ( Scotland)

Ttfn

Pete

Members who have read this thread: 0