Starting FSX disables all USB ports

Thread: Starting FSX disables all USB ports

Starting FSX disables all USB ports

I have a new laptop (in sig) that I installed MSFS 2020 on and it works well. I still find there are things I can do in FSX and FS9 that prompted me to install both of them.

FS9 had an issue with CTD on startup twice before it would run. Somehow that fixed itself.

FSX has an issue that everytime I start the simulator all of the USB ports shutdown. The only way to get them back is by rebooting the PC.

I found that if I deleted the FSX config once it was rebuilt the issue was gone for about 2 restarts. After that the USB ports would go inactive every time I started FSX.

Today I found a better solution but not a great one. If I unplug my USB ports and then start FSX I can plug them back in once the menu loads. From there they work fine.

Very odd issue.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

There are two ways to attempt to resolve the issue (outside of unplugging devices and making sure you distribute the load between the onboard USB busses).

Make sure that USB Power Suspending is turned off within device manager for all USB devices / hubs

The ultimate fix, just get an externally powered USB hub.

I got this info from another site Hope it helps!
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

I have all of the controllers on a USB powered hub but it is old and maybe not a robust as it once was. I will look at getting a new one to see if that fixes the issue.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Did you check in Event Viewer? It may shed some light on exactly what is causing your issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerousdave26 View Post
    I have all of the controllers on a USB powered hub but it is old and maybe not a robust as it once was. I will look at getting a new one to see if that fixes the issue.
    Probably related to the version of USB. I imagine that the hub is 2.0 and that your ports are 3.0. It shouldn't be doing that, but it does sometimes happen.

Once again, so much for backwards compatibility.

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Once Upon A Time

I had a powered D-Link 7 port USB that worked fine for years but like all things it finally got glitchy and this port would quit or that one would quit when I went from XP to Windows 7 so I bought a new one. Then when I had to go to Windows 10 with a desktop, the desktop has 10 USB ports 3.0 so for me thanks Lord it no longer is an issue. The issue though with FSX though I know it works in Windows 10 I have seen/heard where it behaves differently on different machines and systems. I keep it on mine for FSX testing stuff here on SOH but try and do all my flying on P3D V4.5 and am happier. Good luck figuring it all out.

Members who have read this thread: 0