Need advice

Thread: Need advice

Need advice

Guys (and Gals!)...I'm REALLY thinking about making the jump to DCS in parallel with MSFS.

I've downloaded the base DCS engine...and flying the SU-25 and trying to get used to a whole new interface has been tedious...and frankly a bit overwhelming. However, as I see the add on modules (F-5, F-86, A-4, MB-339, F-4e [to come], etc.), and maps that are now available (Syria, Persian Gulf and Sinai)...I'm rethinking making the investment to scratch my tactical aircraft itch. My issue is that I likely would do very little "shoot 'em up" flying, and basically more MSFS type flying--except with high performance, more complex aircraft.

So here's my question#1: Is DCS playable outside of campaign mode, and would it be possible to just concentrate on learning and flying the airplanes (at least initially) and doing cross country type flying in the sim?

And question #2 is this: How is the fidelity compared to MSFS with the payware add-on modules? (I recognize it will vary by module...but the SU-25 didn't seem that great).

Any advice/opinions are welcomed.

Thanks!

Kent

In addition, upon doing some research, it seems as though one cannot currently fly between maps in DCS. Does anyone know if this accurate?

Thank you in advance.

Kent

Hi

I've been flying DCS for a few years, and here is what I can tell you!

No you cannot fly between maps, however it has been hinted, not officially from memory, that there may be a future path in a whole world map, but this is speculation.

You can fly in single player mode, or multiplayer mode. If Multiplayer there are aerobatics servers where no weapons are allowed, and then anything inbetween basic weaponary and full scale assault missions in multiplayer.

I started out on Aerobatics servers until I was okay at flying, having been, like you, a little overwhelmed at learning the new key presses.

The payware modules are in general superb. The modelling and dynamics of the A-10C II, F-14, AJS-37 Viggen, various helicopters I think are better than those in MSFS. Certainly the clickability can be overwhelming! Systems modelling is on a whole different level, probably matches the most expensive airliner type MSFS aircraft.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by centuryseries View Post
    The payware modules are in general superb. The modelling and dynamics of the A-10C II, F-14, AJS-37 Viggen, various helicopters I think are better than those in MSFS. Certainly the clickability can be overwhelming! Systems modelling is on a whole different level, probably matches the most expensive airliner type MSFS aircraft.

Hope that helps.
    It does help. The clickability is one of the issues that drove me nuts….but the realism and visual models are a strong incentive to dip my toe in further!

Kent

Blog Entries
    Yes you can use DCS to just fly around, that's what I use it for myself most of the time and doing that is a lot more involved than MSFS (I've yet to manage landing the F14 on a runway without collapsing the undercarriage, let alone on an Aircraft carrier) but I enjoy flying them around. Actually using them for what they are designed for, fighting takes a lot of time and commitment and if I was going to do that, I'd just buy one aircraft at a time and spend a lot of time learning that.

Some of the most enjoyable Aircraft modules for me are the Harrier, Viggen and Mosquito.

I think Centuryseries has covered just about everything else.

Good luck

Update

Okay...I girded my loins and downloaded the Community A-4E, and went back into the ED's base DCS map to give myself the chance to use other than a base airplane. And I flew it...and surprisingly, the controls in many instances had similar keystrokes to MSFS! I actually took off, whipped around the field, and was able to land and not kill myself or break the airplane.

So...I'm going to get either the Syria map or the Sinai map, download some IAF A-4 skins...and go on to the next step in my evaluation.

Thanks for the advice and opinions, and if anyone has any more to offer, I'd welcome them.

Thanks again!

Kent

Running 3 sims (P3Dv5,MSFS,DCS) and each offer something different. All my tactical stuff is on DCS being a member of a couple multiplayer "hardcore" groups that mil sim on all missions/training flights. That's there if you want it, but as mentioned the single player offline stuff can be a good way to learn a new module and there are some great payware campaigns out that provide the immersion. The Aerobatics Only server mentioned can be fun as no weapons allowed besides your own aircraft, and group formations add just enough pressure to not screw up. I can't praise the Heatblur team enough for the Tomcat, got me back into DCS and has never disappointed since release, challenging aircraft to fly well and somehow "feels" massive in the sim (can't wait for the Fox-4). Get a human in the backseat and it changes the sim completely and ramps up the stress to fly well.

The A-10C II is good starter module to purchase given the mission set, but the C model MFDs can be overwhelming at first. I generally recommend the F-18C, it does every task well enough and most of the systems/sensors are pretty intuitive, easy to fly. I do agree on the Scooter and one I kind of feel the flight model is more MSFS like, hoping for future improvements as the A-4 is fun little attack jet.

As a former rotor guy, I recommend the UH-1 on the payware side as it has improved over the years. I'm helping with the freeware UH-60 and the small group working on it have come far, but limited by ED and access to the SDK functions. I passed on the Hind, but the AH-64D (once the flight model is settled) has provided that itch to blow stuff up with the 30mm.

Environment wise MSFS will win for now, DCS only recently got clouds and despite detailed terrains, has a game look still.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Quote Originally Posted by ColoKent View Post
    Guys (and Gals!)...I'm REALLY thinking about making the jump to DCS in parallel with MSFS.

I've downloaded the base DCS engine...and flying the SU-25 and trying to get used to a whole new interface has been tedious...and frankly a bit overwhelming. However, as I see the add on modules (F-5, F-86, A-4, MB-339, F-4e [to come], etc.), and maps that are now available (Syria, Persian Gulf and Sinai)...I'm rethinking making the investment to scratch my tactical aircraft itch. My issue is that I likely would do very little "shoot 'em up" flying, and basically more MSFS type flying--except with high performance, more complex aircraft.

So here's my question#1: Is DCS playable outside of campaign mode, and would it be possible to just concentrate on learning and flying the airplanes (at least initially) and doing cross country type flying in the sim?

And question #2 is this: How is the fidelity compared to MSFS with the payware add-on modules? (I recognize it will vary by module...but the SU-25 didn't seem that great).

Any advice/opinions are welcomed.

Thanks!

Kent
    Welcome to the dark side! You will soon find it quite enlightening!

1) Yes. You can simply create a mission with nothing in it other than your aircraft, and any AI aircraft you want to fly around while you're in there. Including Aerial Refueling which obviously works correctly! I've done many IFR and VFR XC flights, including tactical XC flights with friends. My opinion, I would say that I find MSFS to be lacking compared to DCS in the aircraft simulation department (Other than PMDG...I'm sure there's a few others too), I know that's not a popular opinion, but it's mine. Once I got into DCS, the only time I turned on MSFS was to fly the Darkstar module a couple of times. Mainly because my interest in only in mil flying...The weather is also coming along. It's not quite to the MSFS level (yet).

2) DCS as I've been told by different devs of other sims and DCS, is that DCS has the potential to be the most sophisticated of any of the sims because of how it's able to model the all the different parameters. So the payware stuff is typically pretty good. The systems are usually very nearly 1:1 modeled. Obviously for more complex weapon systems, those may not be due to classification, but aircraft systems functionality is there. Fuel, electrical, pneumatic, hydraulic navigation etc. The A-10C II, Viggen, Harrier, Mirage 2000C, F-14, F-16C, FA-18C, F-15E, AH-64D are examples of the most high fidelity aircraft simulations I've ever used in any simulator. Extremely detailed. They are true study level. If you like that, you will absolutely LOVE DCS!

There's tons of youtube tutorials out there and large passionate military aviation friendly community. I Whole heartedly endorse ALL of the above mentioned aircraft. I also have some of my paints featured as part of the stock liveries for a few of the modules (Viggen and F-14).

I'm happy to answer whatever questions I can to help you have a good experience!

I'm currently making this (WIP) combat weathering Viper Livery for the v36th FS squadron...to give you a taste of what's out there...

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Blog Entries
    Two things I should have mentioned are that the SU-25 is not representative of the many pay-where modules available and that DCS runs a try before you buy scheme in you create an account, so you don't have to risk a single penny if your unsure.

Blog Entries
    I rarely fly military aircraft in MSFS anymore. I use DCS. I also do very little bombing or shooting "bad" guys down. Mainly, because the weapons systems are so complex my old brain has trouble remembering how to do something.

So, I fly around and practice landings. Just as in MSFS, I rarely use ATC. I just fly the patterns. Everybody will get out of my way.

I fly DCS because the flight modeling is second to none. With my G2 headset, it is like being in the real airframe.

I also enjoy the WWII models. They are fun to fly and the damage realism is awesome. Nothing like hearing the pinging and then looking at your wing to see it full of holes, just before the flames start.

Eagle Dynamics has sales three or four times a year. I think there is one going on now. You can save 30% or more on the older models. I recommend the F-16, F-86, or the new F-15E (will not be on sale). There is a much anticipated F-4E coming down the pipeline.

On the WWII side, I have the P-47 and P-51. There is a Spitfire, but I haven’t purchased it. You also have a complement of German aircraft for the era. All are good and much more realistic than their MFSF versions.

I bought the maps on sale too. I have all but Syria, which I plan on getting.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

John and everyone else-- Thanks so much for the input. I've used the sale to my advantage, bought the F-5, F-16, A-10C modules, and the Syria and Sinai maps. Going to take time to fully grasp all the systems, but that will prove as nice off hours distraction as winter settles in here in Colorado!

Again, thanks all!

Kent

Quote Originally Posted by ColoKent View Post
    John and everyone else-- Thanks so much for the input. I've used the sale to my advantage, bought the F-5, F-16, A-10C modules, and the Syria and Sinai maps. Going to take time to fully grasp all the systems, but that will prove as nice off hours distraction as winter settles in here in Colorado!

Again, thanks all!

Kent
    For various reasons I haven't been doing much simulated flying lately (or checking in on SOH), but as has been pointed out by several others...DCS is a very in depth military aircraft simulator. The best advice I can give you is wait for the module you want to go on SALE (some newer modules have not yet been on a sale, so you have to pay full "boat" (navy joke) on those) and purchase the Flaming Cliffs module (it includes 4 or 5 aircraft for a very modest price).

The modules farthest along in development (and with the most complexity) are the F-18, A-10C (II) and the F-16. That is not to say that other modules are not good...they are all pretty darn good. Anyway, buy judiciously because it takes a very , very long time to learn the module and really, really, really long to master a module.

When I fly, I spend most of my time around the "Super Carrier" module in the F-18. Like jmig stated...flying and landing is one thing, missles and guns is another step beyond (but fun if you can survive for a couple minutes). Have fun!
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Quote Originally Posted by rvn817j View Post

When I fly, I spend most of my time around the "Super Carrier" module in the F-18. Like jmig stated...flying and landing is one thing, missles and guns is another step beyond (but fun if you can survive for a couple minutes). Have fun!
    Second that! Carrier ops are the best in DCS, amazingly realistic and fun. Just watching the AI crew is a blast! F-18 and F-14 flying from the deck is second to none!

The smaller carriers for the Harrier and helos are also much fun. Ship behavior is very accurate too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    Second that! Carrier ops are the best in DCS, amazingly realistic and fun. Just watching the AI crew is a blast! F-18 and F-14 flying from the deck is second to none!

The smaller carriers for the Harrier and helos are also much fun. Ship behavior is very accurate too.
    I haven't gotten past the freeware T-45. But I can put in on the deck seven or eight times out of ten. Not bad for an Air Force puke, if I say so myself.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Members who have read this thread: 1