Looking for a simple campaign to install

Thread: Looking for a simple campaign to install

Looking for a simple campaign to install

Tried the Royal Australian Air Force campaign package. Disaster. So many landclass and ground texture errors. Missing objects, poorly written missions (no way to complete them even though it's completed with all goals ticked)etc etc.
    Downloaded the Air War Over Malaya and the East Indies campaign but looks like a total nightmare to install with probably a 100+ files needed to install. Pass...

Is there any basic, easy to install campaigns that DON'T require 100+ downloads?

You could try mine I made many many years ago. It uses stock landclass and objects. The only add-ons are aircraft and gauges that come with the campaign.

https://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforu...44&linkid=7255
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Hi Ruddman:

No specific recommendations for campaigns but, I have one that can save you a lot of work and time:

Create zip and store 3 basic installs with Rhumbaflappy landclass - ETO, PTO and MedTO. When you download a campaign, extract the one you need and rename it. Having your "world" already created and stored will make it a lot easier to set up your campaigns since many of the more recent works require Rhumba, not stock scenery anyway.

I am trying to set up my newest ones as self-installers, but they need to be installed on a Rhumba base scenery. They require a minimum of downloads - mostly optional.

If you have a problem with the missions themselves, contact the author. I for one will try to solve the problem when it pertains to one of mine.
    Happy flying:

Shadow Wolf 07
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Quote Originally Posted by Ruddman View Post
    Tried the Royal Australian Air Force campaign package. Disaster. So many landclass and ground texture errors. Missing objects, poorly written missions (no way to complete them even though it's completed with all goals ticked)etc etc.
    Downloaded the Air War Over Malaya and the East Indies campaign but looks like a total nightmare to install with probably a 100+ files needed to install. Pass...

Is there any basic, easy to install campaigns that DON'T require 100+ downloads?

Maybe you should try to get the RAAF campaign to work, with some help?
    Just had a quick look at this (Royal Australian Air Force) campaign, and it looks like for the first mission where you fly a Dauntless and attack Lae, the mission files need a bit more editing to make some of the triggers work as intended. For example the player aircraft has been changed from it's normal position in it's flight, and consequently it's id number no longer matches the triggers (in the .dyn file) for out of ammo and out of bombs. Even with that fixed, if you don't cause sufficient damage to all 3 ships, but don't actually use up all your ammo/bombs, then there is no way of warping back to the carrier to end the mission.

If you open the mission/campaign file "Coral Sea Task Force 1" (notepad) you will see the player aircraft (unit 37) is id=9324. Then if you open the .dyn file (again using notepad) you will see the triggers for the out of ammo/bombs etc still refer to id=6000 (which is no longer the player aircraft), so this needs to be changed to 9324 for the triggers to work properly.

Quote Originally Posted by RWILLS View Post
    Maybe you should try to get the RAAF campaign to work, with some help?
    Just had a quick look at this (Royal Australian Air Force) campaign, and it looks like for the first mission where you fly a Dauntless and attack Lae, the mission files need a bit more editing to make some of the triggers work as intended. For example the player aircraft has been changed from it's normal position in it's flight, and consequently it's id number no longer matches the triggers (in the .dyn file) for out of ammo and out of bombs. Even with that fixed, if you don't cause sufficient damage to all 3 ships, but don't actually use up all your ammo/bombs, then there is no way of warping back to the carrier to end the mission.

If you open the mission/campaign file "Coral Sea Task Force 1" (notepad) you will see the player aircraft (unit 37) is id=9324. Then if you open the .dyn file (again using notepad) you will see the triggers for the out of ammo/bombs etc still refer to id=6000 (which is no longer the player aircraft), so this needs to be changed to 9324 for the triggers to work properly.
    Actually the Coral Sea Task Force missions were not done by Rami but by Talon.I have the originals Talon did and they work fine.From what I heard Rami thought they were to simple and decided to make them more complicated,Talon told him that could cause a problem but he didn't listen.Even pn the tutorial he was writing Talon said " There is a time to write complicated missions and a time to write simple ones.Complicated missions can be hard to fix if something goes wrong ".

Hiede

Even the original mission "Carrier War USN 004" by Talon Carrier_war_USN.zip doesn't really work properly without a little bit of work, as the .dyn file is incorrectly named so CFS2 doesn't link it to the mission file. The .dyn file (as downloaded) has a space at the end of it where it's been hand edited, which needs to be removed so that it matches the .mis file. It's an easy one to miss if you have notepad set up as the default program to open .mis and .dyn files as this tends to remove the file extension from the computer display, so any spaces at the end of the name are much less obvious.

Lightbulb Be carefull what you wish for!

Yo Jon;

Sorry to hear that CFS2 has not been the "walk in the park" you thought it might be.
    Most certainly there is a steep learning curve which can be difficult in the beginning.

I would recommend you go to the OLDEST campaign files in the library.
    They will be the simplest to install and not require a huge number of d/l's.
    Scenery is either stock or slightly modified.

You need to learn how the sim works FIRST, then later go on to the newer, more difficult campaigns & scenery.

Follow the instructions COMPLETELY.
    Post ANY questions ... we are here to help.

Comprende Amigo?
    Dirtman

~~ CFS2 Fulfills my need to "peacefully" blow things up ~~

For an very easy to install campaign, I can recommend my own 9th Fighter Squadron, 49th Fighter Group in WWII. That was a primary objective in creating it. It is self installing and requires NO additional downloads.

https://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforu...tid=44&id=2561
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Awesome thanks guys. I’m blaming myself.

I should’ve just stuck with the stock campaigns getting familiar with it and perhaps just updated a few aircraft along the way etc as I’ve seen that recommended.
    I’ll go back to that, and try some one or two that were suggested above. Appreciate the help..again.

I’m not giving up. Especially since my shooting accuracy has been going up.
    I might be in double figures. Haha.

Ruddman: No, don't give up. The more you fly and shoot, the better you will get. There was a time when I could knock out a Zero at 800 yards with a short burst. Now, not flying nearly as much, if one fills my screen, I'm lucky to hit it!

Captain Kurt is on point. Many of the more recent campaigns are self-installers. Rami, for example has done several for the ETO and Med/N Africa.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Even the original mission "Carrier War USN 004" by Talon Carrier_war_USN.zip doesn't really work properly without a little bit of work, as the .dyn file is incorrectly named so CFS2 doesn't link it to the mission file. The .dyn file (as downloaded) has a space at the end of it where it's been hand edited, which needs to be removed so that it matches the .mis file. It's an easy one to miss if you have notepad set up as the default program to open .mis and .dyn files as this tends to remove the file extension from the computer display, so any spaces at the end of the name are much less obvious.
    RWILLS

The missions and .dyn file is correctly named.The date on it is from 2007.

I downloaded this campaign earlier today,it was uploaded in 2007 but all the missions are dated 2013.This is strange as Talon started updating the missions in 2012 and none of the missions uploaded were updated.

Remember I have all Talon's missions and can easily look up the dates.

Here's a screenshot of the missions in question.Notice the .dyn file is dated 2007 with no spaces.The mission is dated 2012 because it was updated.

Hiede
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carrier War USN.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Hiede View Post
    RWILLS

The missions and .dyn file is correctly named.The date on it is from 2007.

I downloaded this campaign earlier today,it was uploaded in 2007 but all the missions are dated 2013.This is strange as Talon started updating the missions in 2012 and none of the missions uploaded were updated.

Remember I have all Talon's missions and can easily look up the dates.

Here's a screenshot of the missions in question.Notice the .dyn file is dated 2007 with no spaces.The mission is dated 2012 because it was updated.

Hiede
    Not sure what you mean when you say the .dyn file is correctly named? It probably was at some stage, somewhere, but isn't for the current download here from SOH, for missions 003, 004, 005 and 006, which all have the space at the end of the .dyn file which means anyone downloading and installing it needs to correct that detail if they want the missions to work as intended.

Not sure what you mean when you say the .dyn file is correctly named? It probably was at some stage, somewhere, but isn't for the current download here from SOH, for missions 003, 004, 005 and 006, which all have the space at the end of the .dyn file which means anyone downloading and installing it needs to correct that detail if they want the missions to work as intended.
    If you have the current download you will see the missions in it are dated 2013 while the download was uploaded 2007.Yes the ones you mentioned are wrong,but by someone else and not Talon.Talon did update the missions in 2012 but none of them is in the download.Now if he did upload it again in 2013 the one from 2007 would have been removed.that's how it works.Rami asks if it should be removed.In other words the missions in the download Talon didn't upload,someone else must have.We did have hackers at the time also and one is still active at SOH.

Talon was very respected for his work and if anyone had a problem with it he would fix it.Everyone knew this.Don't you think if there was a problem with these missions someone would have said something and he'd fix it?He can't defend himself since he passed in 2015,that's why I am.

Since you think you're so smart maybe you should know " Learn the facts before you speak and argue ".

Hiede

Since you think you're so smart maybe you should know " Learn the facts before you speak and argue ".

Hiede
    Nobody argued here except you. I see only people who try to help Ruddman. Nobody but you, blamed Rami for messing around with Talon's missions and nobody else blamed RWILLS for being smart.

It is funny how you suggest you know what Rami thinks and know in detail what Talon did 18 and 11 years ago. While I can't even remember the details from what I did longer than one month ago.

Please don't suggest things other people did or pretend to know the opinion of other people, especially of those who are not here to provide their view on things.

Being kind is more important than being right, or as we say here, being helpful is being more important than being right.

Thanks,
    Huub

It has now been resolved.

Hiede

Hey, Ruddman!

Did you choose one? Which did you choose?

SW07
    "De Oppresso Liber"

If you have the current download you will see the missions in it are dated 2013 while the download was uploaded 2007.Yes the ones you mentioned are wrong,but by someone else and not Talon.Talon did update the missions in 2012 but none of them is in the download.Now if he did upload it again in 2013 the one from 2007 would have been removed.that's how it works.Rami asks if it should be removed.In other words the missions in the download Talon didn't upload,someone else must have.We did have hackers at the time also and one is still active at SOH.

Talon was very respected for his work and if anyone had a problem with it he would fix it.Everyone knew this.Don't you think if there was a problem with these missions someone would have said something and he'd fix it?He can't defend himself since he passed in 2015,that's why I am.

Hiede

What "facts" exactly are you still claiming that I have got wrong? All I have pointed out is that the .dyn files are incorrectly named and so don't work. Since this thread was about issues with installing campaigns then it is entirely appropriate for anyone to highlight things that don't work, especially where there is a simple fix. If you are disagreeing with that then you are very clearly wrong, and if you agree with that then you need to STFU really, because all you are doing is confusing people by repeatedly claiming that somehow I have got it wrong and that the files are not incorrectly named. I've also made no attack whatsoever on whoever wrote the missions so don't try accusing me of something that I have not done. That's the polite response, so if you want a less polite response then please feel free to carry on posting your garbage, because I won't be holding back next time.

Enough bickering. Peace.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Members who have read this thread: 1