Advice requested.......

Thread: Advice requested.......

Advice requested.......

Ok, here's the situation. I was planning to buy a new system this Fall. Although my current setup runs ok, my 1080ti GPU and I78700k CPU struggles at times when I am in MSFS.

My question is, if I buy a RTX4070 (current price I found is $599), would I see a dramatic improvement? If the improvement is good enough, then I will hold off buying a whole new setup.

I welcome your thoughts? NC

NC,
    from what I understand, the GPU upgrade will be a significant boost IF the rest of the system will keep up.

I'm in the same situation, which is why I haven't dropped the $$ for MSFS yet .. well that and no desire to spend more time setting up, configuring, updating than I do flying (and I'm down to a couple of hours of that per week at best - in FSX.)

However, I'm not sure you'll get a lot of answers here as opposed to the MSFS Forum. (People tend not to stray from their chosen spaces)
    I'll be watching

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

The GPU upgrade helps when the system is limited by the GPU.
    GPU becomes a limiting factor especially when you crank up the screen resolution, for example when switching to a 4k monitor, or when trying to use VR.
    I don't think the GPU plays a major role in any other graphic settings.

One thing to test is to display the performance popup in MSFS (I think you need to enable the developper mode in the options). It will tell you if your are CPU or GPU limited. Chances are, it's your CPU, not your GPU...
    The i7 8700k is/was an excellent CPU. I have it as well. But it's old now.
    If you plan to buy an RTX 4070, the CPU might not be up to it, meaning that your new GPU will not be able to run at full throttle...

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    If you plan to buy an RTX 4070, the CPU might not be up to it, meaning that your new GPU will not be able to run at full throttle...
    In essence putting rocket fuel in a Model T.

One way to think of it is you might get a performance boost but not its full capabilities, that doesn't have to mean you don't buy it. If bought it that is one less thing you have to buy when you complete the rest of the build. The key there is don't wait over a year.

I just screwed my self by not completing my build from 2021. I had bought part of what I needed to built my new gaming PC. That got put on hold after my laptop died and I had to buy a new one as I need it for work. I had purchased the simple things RAM, CPU Cooler, Case, 2 TB SSD. What I did not buy is the CPU or motherboard I had planned on buy. Those are not available and the new mother boards don't support the 64GB DDR4 ram I bought. Now when I complete the build I have to fork out the RAM and CPU cooler again. The SSD I added to my laptop as second drive. Everything FS related is on that drive.

I spent just over $2,000 on my build in my signature. It runs MSFS pretty nice I think. The thing that limits me is my internet speed.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Members who have read this thread: 0