Missions and new scenery

Thread: Missions and new scenery

Missions and new scenery

I noticed some people using old missions with the new scenery by Uncle Tgt and saying they are having problems with them.Well those missions were made before the new scenery came,The missions are sometimes 10 years old or older.The runways are placed differently with new co-ordinates so of course there will be problems.The campaign and mission builders tell you in the readme what scenery they are using,Read it and use what they say.

Some missions have be converted to the new UT scenery and in the readme it tells you so.Just remember it takes time and a lot of work to do so.

Hiede

Very true. For example, I am re-doing a 4 year old Saratoga campaign and am using UT's Wake, Solomons and the "87-days" scenery and I have encountered some of the base and scenery issues that Hiede mentioned above. Fortunately for future users it will be an auto-install campaign, large but all inclusive. It will cover 4 years and span from Wake Is., to Guadalcanal, to the Indian Ocean to Japan.

Cheers:

SW07
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Shadow Wolf,

You're one of the few that agrees.

Hiede

Just a short note (whilst travelling), to underline the reason behind ALL of my scenery packages.

Rhumbaflappy created new, more accurate WORLD mesh back in 2009-10(?) that used SRTM data from various Space Shuttle missions. This was not available earlier.
    As a result, although areas beyond the SWPTO were transformed by now having mesh terrain, it also highlighted that the earlier data sets, used by MS et all, was inaccurate. Islands & coastlines were not where they needed to be to match the new mesh. Furthermore, the same faults resulted in airbase locations being "off" (or just guessed at).

But the visual spectacle that Rhumbas mesh brings to the Sim was IMHO so significant that it needed showcasing. So I started my various scenery projects.

Any mission/campaign packs that pre-date Rhumbas new world mesh won't work out of the box for any install that uses this mesh. You'll have "misplaced" runways, & sloping water.

Please check the date of the missions you're trying to run before you whine about scenery issues...

Don't use my scenery stuff if its "too complex" to install, but you may as well be flying in the PTO of the stock sim, & IMHO that's so far from a "good look" for the PTO -

Someone should probably post some screenshots of various locations to remind us all just how poor some of the stock scenery was (hint, go take a look around Rabaul for instance).

UT,

You have brought new life to the sim.Not only The Solomons but we also have Truk,The Aleutions,The Marshalls and Wake. Rabaul will is going to be added also.

People don't understand that the older mission don't work right with your scenery because you made it more accurate.It's nobodies fault except the user for not using the scenery used for the missions.

Now Shadow Wolf is redoing one of his campaigns using you scenery.Captain Kurt also said he is redoing one of his campaigns using the new Solomons.My son has helped to convert and completely converted some of Talon's old missions and campaigns in the area.

This all takes time and he is still in school,school work is first on the agenda.

Hiede

Members who have read this thread: 2