L-4 Grasshopper skins by UncleTgt

Thread: L-4 Grasshopper skins by UncleTgt

L-4 Grasshopper skins by UncleTgt

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Skins - Commonwealth

Description: L-4 Grasshopper RAAF Skin by UncleTgt

This is a repaint for the L-4 Grasshopper made by Allen for CFS 2.

During late 1943 the Australians were donated 3 L-4 Grasshoppers by the US forces in PNG. They were operated & maintained by 4 sqn RAAF & saw extensive use for tactical recon during the Australian Army's advance in the Ramu river valley, & then onto Madang.

The texture is:

QE - II "Bull**** Bomber"

I've also included a tweaked mdl file. I used MDLmat to try & give the glass material some shine.

To install, unzip the download to a temporary location & move/ copy files to the matching folder names inside your chosen CFS 2 install.

Thanks to

Allen for developing & enhancing so many different aircraft.
    Kelticheart for the base prop diskbitmaps.

This is freeware and subject to the usual conditions

UncleTgt
    OCT 2023

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit L-4 Grasshopper RAAF skin UT
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

L-4 Grasshopper US SWPTO skinpack UT

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Skins - American

Description: L-4 Grasshopper US SWPTO Skinpack by UncleTgt

This is a collection of repaints for the L-4 Grasshopper made by Allen for CFS 2. They depict aircraft that served in & around the SWPTO.

I've also included a tweaked mdl file. I used MDLmat to try & give the glass material some shine.

The textures are:

"31182" A L-4B involved in a ground taxi incident at Kila airstrip, Port Moresby, PNG during August 1943. The bar had only just begun to be added to the US Star insignia.

"329523" Based on a b/w photo of newly-arrived L-4 Grasshoppers at Sandberg cub strip, Espiritu Santo, New Hebrides, circa September 1943.

"29071" This L-4A was offloaded at Saidor, PNG during the landings there in January 1944. The aircraft was lost soon afterwards.

"330281" This L-4H was photographed being loaded ready for the landings at Wkde, PNG during Jun 1944.

To install, unzip the download to a temporary location & move/ copy files to the matching folder names inside your chosen CFS 2 install.

Thanks to

Kelticheart for the base prop disk bitmaps.

UncleTgt
    OCT 2023

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit L-4 Grasshopper US SWPTO skinpack UT

L-4 Grasshopper US Op Torch skin UT

Description: L-4 Grasshopper US Torch Skin by UncleTgt

This is a repaint for the L-4 Grasshopper made by Allen for CFS 2.

I found some photos that seemed to indicate the fuselage insignia was larger than Allen depicted, & a single overhead shot that seems to indicate this aircraft had a US Army style white star on the upper wing. I created this alternate paint to incorporate these observations.

Thanks to

Kelticheart for the base prop disk bitmaps.

UncleTgt
    OCT 2023

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit L-4 Grasshopper US Op Torch skin UT

Thank you very much for sharing these repaints with us.

Great work! .... and thanks to Allen as well. I just love the old puddle jumpers.

normb

Hi UncleTgt
    Great paintwork.
    Nifty little aircraft.
    Thanks to you and Allen.
    Cheers
    Stuart

Library Staff
    Thanks John and Allen for this little bird. Lovely paint jobs - QEII - interesting, because KGVI was still on the throne.
    Cheers,
    Kevin

Kev

QE were the code letters used by 4 sqn RAAF.

As all the usual aircraft letters were already assigned to their Boomerang aircraft, they used "I", "II" & "III" instead.

I was called "Crap Crate"
    II was called "Bull**** Bomber"
    III was called "Fly-Blown Bull"

I sense a naming theme here...

Very nice indeed.
    "Somewhere out there is Page 6!"
    "But Emilo you promised! It's postpone"

ASWWIAH Member

[QUOTE=UncleTgt;1321339]

Description: L-4 Grasshopper US Torch Skin by UncleTgt

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice paint jobs all.

This one in particular is poignant. There were a total of three Torch L-4's launched to be landed ashore and used as artillery spotters. Unfortunately, no one informed the Navy ships or the shore based anti-aircraft units that they would be flying across the fleet and landing beaches. Everything in range opened up on them and shot them all down. I read a second hand account of a surviving pilot who said that half the pilots and observers were killed and the rest wounded.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Soooooo.... all good cos it was friendly fire?

No disciplinary actions and at the time, no communications to the ships and AA units firing to inform them. Bad for morale, don't you now.

But word of mouth did get around because one crashed on shore, and it was officially recorded in the L-4 unit records so it made it into history.

That happened more than once. During the Sicily invasion, the fleet ships fired on C-47s carrying paratroopers and shot down many, killing some thousand paratroopers in the worst "friendly fire" incident in WWII.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Late again... A big Thank You, John, for these nice repaints of the L-4.

Members who have read this thread: 1