Some AlphaSim jets too tail heavy

Thread: Some AlphaSim jets too tail heavy

Some AlphaSim jets too tail heavy

I recently ported over some AlphaSim jets from FSX into P3DV4. They look and fly fine but I have noticed that some of the jets when on the runway drag their tails. If I give it some gas then it will right itself and sit properly on the landing gear. Some of the aircraft don't have this problem. Can I change the CG?

Thanks.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by SgtT View Post
    I recently ported over some AlphaSim jets from FSX into P3DV4. They look and fly fine but I have noticed that some of the jets when on the runway drag their tails. If I give it some gas then it will right itself and sit properly on the landing gear. Some of the aircraft don't have this problem. Can I change the CG?

Thanks.

Rob
    Give me an example you are talking about - model etc

Yes - but do it with the gas tanks - in the aircraft cg file, move their longitudinal locations forward to the empty weight cg longitudinal location. However you may have to fiddle with the elevator / elevator trim effectiveness if it makes a plane somewhat nose heavy. Also check that the MLG contact points (points 1 and 2) are in fact aft of the empty weight cg position.

I do this all the time with airplanes that give me problems with fuel burn vs handling.
    Last edited by Mike71; October 1st, 2023 at 05:44.

Thanks Mike,

The example that I can give you is the Alpha F105 Thunderchief.

I've never edited the aircraft config file but will give it a try.

Thanks Mike,

The example that I can give you is the Alpha F105 Thunderchief.

I've never edited the aircraft config file but will give it a try.
    I assume you mean the freeware updated version done by Michael Pook? The one on the AlphaSim / Virtavia freeware site only shows 2002 and FS9 versions --

I also just reread your initial question.

Actually it is common for any airplane to assume the static position of a previously loaded aircraft - i.e. if you switch from a taildragger to a tricycle gear plane while in PAUSE, it will be on its tail. Un-pause and it tilts onto a normal level position. Is that possibly the issue? I believe it is because FS and P3D keep the cg, fuel percentage and other qualities in place until Un-pause and the plane then resets.

Thanks Mike, that was the issue. All is good, I appreciate the help!

Thanks Mike, that was the issue. All is good, I appreciate the help!
    Glad it was that simple --

Members who have read this thread: 0