Linking Throttle and Prop RPM?

Thread: Linking Throttle and Prop RPM?

Linking Throttle and Prop RPM?

Is there a way to link the throttle with prop RPMs?

When flying and throttling back some engine sounds stay at a constant pitch unless the RPM lever is used.
    I am looking for a combination of both, Throttle and RPM, so the AC sound changes with the throttle only.

Have any Fellow Simmers got an idea?

Regards, Stuart

what airplane - one in particular or any propeller (reciprocating engine) airplane?

Quote Originally Posted by stuartcox View Post

When flying and throttling back some engine sounds stay at a constant pitch unless the RPM lever is used.
    I am looking for a combination of both, Throttle and RPM, so the AC sound changes with the throttle only.

Regards, Stuart
    what airplane - one in particular or any propeller (reciprocating engine) airplane?

SOH-CM-2023

Regards, Stuart
    I think you will have to play with the sound file, in particular the .cfg file. I have the DH Comet file open & can see that the are a series of headings for each engine (Left & Right) at various speeds & for the prop, & for each of those a series for external or internal views. I notice that for each heading e.g. [COMBUSTION.1.00] there are listings of numbers for rparams & vparams & for this aircraft the values for prop are different than the engine at any matching speed. I think that you will have to try matching these parameters to get them to trigger at the same level for throttle & prop... Sorry cant be any better guess unless you have access to one of the sound creation apps.
    Keith

I'm trying to link the fantastic Wasp Junior sound from Skyhigh Audio Simulation to the throttle of Milton's Spartan Executive.
    The engine sound stays constant during a flight unless the prop lever is operated.
    I have encountered the same issue with some TSS sounds on other aircraft.
    Stuart

Why Not Ask An Expert

I had to Google a bit but then remembered the name: Ask Aaron Swindle of Skysong Works your question. I seem to remember that he is a very helpful individual. Not sure if he is active at FSDevelopers or not but you should try there too.

Here is the link to Skysong Works which has a contact page:
    http://skysongsoundworks.com/

I'm trying to link the fantastic Wasp Junior sound from Skyhigh Audio Simulation to the throttle of Milton's Spartan Executive.
    The engine sound stays constant during a flight unless the prop lever is operated.
    I have encountered the same issue with some TSS sounds on other aircraft.
    Stuart
    You may be misunderstanding constant speed and fixed pitch propellers.

The Exec has a constant speed prop. Once the engine power is high enough (throttle increase) for the prop to hit the set RPM governor setting the engine will stay at a constant RPM just like the prop - the prop is preventing it from turning at higher RPM by increasing blade angle. The airplane goes faster - maybe some increase in wind noise, but not from engine RPM. RPM makes most of the noise - some minor variation in exhaust noise perhaps in real life, but not much.

if you pull the throttle back far enough that engine power cannot turn the prop at the set governing RPM, then you hear the decrease in engine RPM.

I do not have that sound set though; hope you get some answers

SOH-CM-2023
    it's a long time ago now (1950's) but my fathers Proctor, during run up he would set the throttle to full, with the Prop set to coarse, watch the Boost gauge, then push the prop lever to Fine watch the RPM go from about 1700 at coarse to 2400 at fine. If one then closed the throttle the RPM would decrease to idle ( noise with it) . In flight running flat out level flight 2400 RPM indicated, Boost - 1/2 psi, about 160/170 mph, if one pulled the prop lever fully back to coarse the RPM would drop back to about 1700 (too low for continuous running as oil pressure insufficient for bearings & possibly prop angle change) noise would drop, but airspeed & rpm should increase until a balance of HP, & drag in theory should equalise. My FS9 Proctor uses a Gypsy Major & fixed pitch set of sounds made by I cant remember, but set up as a Constant speed prop, & to me that sounds authentic, although missing two cylinders, my Q6 uses the Microsoft D H Comet sound file, but there seem to be no prop levers but the ones in my model do work & the throttle & prop levers affecting sound each in their own operating range. I believe a Variable pitch prop should be similar. In your aircraft is it a VP or a CS prop, early VP props only had coarse or fine settings, no in between I think, or one had to constantly fiddle until one stabilized.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Dev One View Post
    it's a long time ago now (1950's) but my fathers Proctor, during run up he would set the throttle to full, with the Prop set to coarse, watch the Boost gauge, then push the prop lever to Fine watch the RPM go from about 1700 at coarse to 2400 at fine. If one then closed the throttle the RPM would decrease to idle ( noise with it) . In flight running flat out level flight 2400 RPM indicated, Boost - 1/2 psi, about 160/170 mph, if one pulled the prop lever fully back to coarse the RPM would drop back to about 1700 (too low for continuous running as oil pressure insufficient for bearings & possibly prop angle change) noise would drop, but airspeed & rpm should increase until a balance of HP, & drag in theory should equalise. My FS9 Proctor uses a Gypsy Major & fixed pitch set of sounds made by I cant remember, but set up as a Constant speed prop, & to me that sounds authentic, although missing two cylinders, my Q6 uses the Microsoft D H Comet sound file, but there seem to be no prop levers but the ones in my model do work & the throttle & prop levers affecting sound each in their own operating range. I believe a Variable pitch prop should be similar. In your aircraft is it a VP or a CS prop, early VP props only had coarse or fine settings, no in between I think, or one had to constantly fiddle until one stabilized.
    Keith
    That is a variable pitch propeller, not a constant speed propeller. big difference - coarse /fine (and maybe a few in between) are limited settings to improve performance in certain regimes, but not to control engine / prop RPM.

A constant speed propeller is designed to operate over a wide range of pitch within its high / low limits and obviously require a more sophisticated governor mechanism, typically oil pressure, a few electrical.

I have been lucky enough to have flown many military and civil aircraft with constant speed props, starting with the T-34B, T-28B, Comanche, Aztec, Navajo, 310, 421 Beaver, Otter, DC-3, etc.

I am 80 now, but I think my memory is still pretty sharp.

SOH-CM-2023
    [QUOTE=Mike71;1321313]That is a variable pitch propeller, not a constant speed propeller. big difference - coarse /fine (and maybe a few in between) are limited settings to improve performance in certain regimes, but not to control engine / prop RPM.

A constant speed propeller is designed to operate over a wide range of pitch within its high / low limits and obviously require a more sophisticated governor mechanism, typically oil pressure, a few electrical.Quote]

I am 85 now, but my memory is getting fogged with Parkinson's...

I'm sure my dear old Dad said that he tweaked the CSU to increase the RPM to 2600 when we were Air Racing; the RPM gauge was also tweaked to read 2400, but the handicappers knew that there was a a level where the CSU kicked in - I think it showed up as a jerk of the needle at 2100, so they would get us to do an engine run!!

Members who have read this thread: 0