Asobo vs Aeroplane Heaven P-51 Mustang

Thread: Asobo vs Aeroplane Heaven P-51 Mustang

Asobo vs Aeroplane Heaven P-51 Mustang

Hello everyone! I would like to get a P-51 for MSFS, but I am struggling to decide on which one, as they both have their pros and cons. Something I like about the Asobo P-51s is that they are accurate representations of modern era restored P-51 warbirds and air racers. Another advantage of the Asobo P-51 is that its engine sounds are more accurate than Aeroplane Heaven's (the biggest disadvantage of the AH P-51 for me). However, the Asobo P-51's disadvantages are that it doesn't represent a WWII era P-51 and its details look rather simple/basic when compared to the AH P-51. The main advantage of the Aeroplane Heaven P-51 for me is that it represents a WWII era Mustang, but the poor engine sounds put me off buying it. I know some people have swapped Aeroplane Heaven's sounds for Asobo's or FlyingIron's Spitfire sounds. Now if A2A released their P-51 for MSFS, I don't think I would be struggling to decide.
    Tom

I personally prefer the Asobo version. The 3d models are second to none, great audio (including a fantastic soundai package that really brings the aircraft to life in multiplayer), I also prefer the flight dynamics to the AH version and on sale you can get the entire Reno Air Race package for about the same price as the AH P-51.

The full P-51 collection from Asobo contains not only modern air race P-51s (which are all unique aircraft by the way, not just liveries painted on one single model.) but a factory fresh version as well. John Terrell has done some incredible WW2 era repaints for that model, they are available over on Flightsim.to if you want to have a look.

https://flightsim.to/profile/Bomber12th

You are right, neither one is as good as the A2A P-51D for P3D, and in some ways neither is as good as the WarbridSim. Both are decent, but flawed.

In terms of the visual model, the Asobo is more accurate. The AH is not terrible, but not quite as good, and it has obvious faults such as prop blades that twist the wrong way so that they are coarser pitch at the tips than at the root, rather than finer. On the other hand, the Asobo has outward-splayed main landing gear which also is irritating.

The Asobo is difficult to repaint and therefore only John and one or two others have made the effort, and while their results are excellent, there are more good repaint options for the AH. I'm especially partial to Doug Smith's Canadian paints.

Out of the box, the AH flight model is so bad that it isn't worth flying, but if you apply the free flight model patch from Flight Model Review, it is better; still not great. The Asobo is okay but has some weird habits not seen on other sim P-51s. I would say that the patched AH and the Asobo are about equally good, but the flight models are the one thing that keeps driving me back to P3D for the A2A and Warbirdsim, or to IL2 Great Battles.

The Asobo has simplified engine and other controls, and you can't open the canopy. The AH definitely is better if you want to operate it by the book and play with all of the switches.

I like the diffferent instrument panel options in the Asobo (see attached) ranging from almost wartime stock to very modern. The really souped up Asobo Mustangs, Strega and Voodoo, and the P-51A, are whole different planes from the stock-ish P-51Ds and add more variety. The Asobo P-51A is definitely my favorite Mustang in the sim right now.

August
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P-51 Panels.jpg  

Several of the Asobo Mustangs are currently broken for quite a few people, since Asobo somehow introduced an issue where the engine quits as soon as power is added above about 30inHg.

I noticed that the engine dying issue is NOT fixed by the latest update which includes an update to the P-51s. Did anyone ever find a fix/workaround for it? August

Nope.

Since the relevant files are all encrypted, the only way it'll get fixed is if Asobo decides to do so.

Strange, I own the Asobo Mustang, the engine doesn't die on me at all!

BTW, I think the judgement on the AH Mustang is really harsh and not merited at all.

Cheers,

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Which Mustang do you have?

The only affected ones are the airplanes with the fuselage fuel tank, where that tank defaults to 100% in MSFS.

Off the top of my head, Bunny, Spam Can, Wee Willy and Man O’ War have that issue, but none of the other ones do.

Members who have read this thread: 7