Which version of P3D

Thread: Which version of P3D

Which version of P3D

I was thinking about purchasing P3D V4 since I think it will run the best on my PC. I have a MSI Trident 3, I5-7400 3ghz processor, 16gb Ram and a NVIDIA GTX 1060 3gb card. Since I fly both FS2004 and FSX a lot I thought with my PC specs I may be able to run P3D v4.

I was also looking into the free addons and how some FSX addons that may be compatible with P3D.

I was looking for some thoughts on what may be the best version of P3D to purchase.

Would appreciate any insight.

Thanks,

Rob

Hi Rob

Here are the requierements for v4. The minimum is 2GB for the GPU but I think 3 is far away from 8GB, which they recommend for v4.

https://www.prepar3d.com/product-ove...s/#prepar3d-v4

Regards

Dan
    WIN11, P3D5 on SSD
    Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, i13900K, Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
    KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, 64 GB DDR5-5600, Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

Thanks Dan,

I reviewed the Specs for P3D V4 and thought they would be a good fit for my PC. The only PC updates that I think I may do is update my Ram to 32gb.

Rob

Rather update the GPU to one with 8GB. It's not enough for any future but enough for this system. 16 GB RAM is the recommended amount. 32 is fine if you're running many programs.
    WIN11, P3D5 on SSD

Thanks,

So I have two more questions.

1. Was it hard to transition from FSX to P3D? I was hoping the two were similar and it wasn't a large learning curve.

2. I enjoy the occasional flights in FSX I'm not looking to become an expert in the sim. Is there a capability in P3D for an easy setup for a beginner like myself who is learning? I had tried XPlane in the past and thought it was very difficult to learn to fly. I'm hoping that P3D is a littler easier like FSX.

Thanks,

Rob

When I changed from FSX to P3D2 years ago, it was the same regarding use of the sim. This is still true today. LM tuned only a little on the menus. I'd say it's a better FSX. I tried X-Plane 10 and couldn't take off in a plane without reading the manual. Everything is different and therefore I could never accustom to X-Plane. Prepar3D is easy for an FSX Pilot.
    WIN11, P3D5 on SSD

Quote Originally Posted by blaunarwal View Post
    When I changed from FSX to P3D2 years ago, it was the same regarding use of the sim. This is still true today. LM tuned only a little on the menus. I'd say it's a better FSX. I tried X-Plane 10 and couldn't take off in a plane without reading the manual. Everything is different and therefore I could never accustom to X-Plane. Prepar3D is easy for an FSX Pilot.
    Agree - now I am happy with P3D v4.5 and will last forever is my current state. It runs without any CTD or blue screen or whatever issue and most addons let it look like MSFS in many cases (ORBX TrueEarth). I have all AI traffic including military and all aircraft I know from FS9 on where compiled into a usable version for P3Dv4.5. I like the variety of freeware which comes abruptly when payware designer changed to MSFS. Aircraft which did cost tons of money suddenly are for free....this is the paradise for FSX or P3D users....

P3Dv4.5 is the allrounder to me and when you are a collector of aircraft like me, started years ago in the FS9 era, you will never give up all these valuable collections, nor the operability nor the user interface which only barely changed in so many years.

P3Dv4.5 or above is the best compromise between visual effect and simulation. In my opinion....
    Best regards, Manfred.

Thank you both so very much. I'm looking forward to taking the plunge.

I should be picking up a 6gb card soon. Because of my system I'm limited to a NIDIA GTX 1060 6gb.

I'm looking forward to trying Prepar3D v4 in the near future. Hopefully one of these days I'll be able to update my PC.

Just to let everyone know I did purchase P3DV4.5 and am enjoying it a lot.

Thank you all!

Rob

If any questions, please let us know .
    Best regards, Manfred.

I have P3Dv5 and am going to stay with it. I do miss some of the aircraft from FSX especially the Carenado U206 in all it guises and some of the other freeware that flew alright in earlier versions.

Members who have read this thread: 1