Just an update - Wellington MkX

Thread: Just an update - Wellington MkX

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

Just an update - Wellington MkX

Just passing time as I get over my turn with COVID. One thing I really enjoy about making planes is that you learn so much about each as you make them. The mkX was with side windows and without. Had variations on the lower widows, different bomb bay designs, just a really cool plane. I tried to make a geodesic frame for the entire plane, but I get indices error (something about exceeding 62555) and gmax coughs and hiccups. I will try something else to get the look and feel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails well.jpg  

Looks excellent Ted!
    I've not forgotten the Ju 88, just been a hectic summer for me, but will be back on it very soon.
    John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

Looks great Ted. I've always wanted more Wellington variants. It will look good with John's paint on it, and especially with bump mapping. The geodesic framing making ridges in the fabric will look incredible.

No worries

John,

Summer is a tough time to get anything done inside. If it wasn't for getting sick don't think I would have done much. I might have this done in a few weeks, we were supposed to go to Iceland last week but that blew up, but we'll get there yet. Gecko, really looking forward to the bump mapping John does, should be a sight to appreciate. Redid all my British bombs, except Tallboy and Grand Slam now the sizes are correct. Back to reading a few dissertations and running some data - life in Academia HA!

but I get indices error (something about exceeding 62555) and gmax coughs and hiccups
    i got that before while trying to export an fsx aircraft into cfs3

Steve

What if anything did you do? The model appears to export, but have not tried to view it in game.

Quote Originally Posted by NachtPiloten View Post
    John,

Summer is a tough time to get anything done inside. If it wasn't for getting sick don't think I would have done much. I might have this done in a few weeks, we were supposed to go to Iceland last week but that blew up, but we'll get there yet. Gecko, really looking forward to the bump mapping John does, should be a sight to appreciate. Redid all my British bombs, except Tallboy and Grand Slam now the sizes are correct. Back to reading a few dissertations and running some data - life in Academia HA!

Meant summer in the Northern climes .....

What if anything did you do? The model appears to export, but have not tried to view it in game.
    reduced the polys

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Great to see all the work being done. Thanks guys ! Excited to see some new and wonderful aircraft ! Excellent ! Regards, Scott

Quote Originally Posted by NachtPiloten View Post
    …I tried to make a geodesic frame for the entire plane, but I get indices error (something about exceeding 62555) and gmax coughs and hiccups.
    The limit is texture vertices, iirc. Gmax will export a model of more than 200,000 vertices as long as they’re not all mapped to a single texture, or not textured at all. There’s a MaxScript command which returns the texture vertex count for the model or particular parts and so long as the number returned is less than the 64K (65,535) limit for a material you’re good to go.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

playing around the model that gave me the warning and it seems more likely the exporter limit is indices per part as opposed to indices per material. Splitting up the heaviest part solves the problem for me. There may also me a limit per material that I just haven't run into yet.

So far, my workaround has been to export external model and VC (the most poly heavy part) separately; Once their basic shapes have taken form (ensuring that they seamlessly fit each other), I split them up into two gmax files in the hopes that the max. # of polys will not be exceeded.

Adding dummy nodes in either export for the external model or VC saves me the trouble of renaming .m3d files later on. So once in CFS3, I only have to drop the separate myaircraft.m3d and myaircraft_Cockpit0.m3d exports together in the correct folder.

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

Sorry to hear about the Covid. Wellington looking good and I'll be interested to see the new bombs when back in October. Good work Ted.

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Solutions

I have been splitting the models for some time now. When I make an all original plane I use max, either 4.3 or 8. I like the extra options either 4.3 or 8 provide (shapes, texturing, etc). The Wellington being an older model it was all gmax since the exterior is easy enough to do in gmax. The Whitley the exterior was gmax and the pits all max. It just takes a bit exporting and importing. The JU88 other than the radar stations is all max. Steve's radar is in gmax so to convert would be a bear to say the least.

just to be clear , when I said "part" , I meant a single model object. If you get the indices error when exporting then try cutting the offending object into smaller objects. As Tom pointed out , the max poly limit is pretty high and I have never ran into it.

Members who have read this thread: 1