The new rig is up and running.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The new rig is up and running.

SOH-CM-2024

The new rig is up and running.

Spent the entire day yesterday downloading and installing all, plus all the sceneries and aircraft I had saved to an external SSD that I wanted, The thing is a beast. My son built this beast. Spent all evening before bed totally immersed! Live weather here from yesterday. These screenshots have been reduced in size to 1920 X 1080, my monitor is 32" is size and the originals are 3840 X 2160.

Cazzie

Attachment 91740Attachment 91741

Glad to see you back in the skies, and with a more comfortable ride too. Welcome back

Blog Entries
    Congrulations on the new rig. Enjoy!!!
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Nice! It looks like you're having fun. Now you get to get that much more enjoyment out of FS.

Congrats, Caz! Now you can finish Southside and Northside NC!

Don BP

Charter Member 2011
    See in your second shot how the graphic card lights up?
    My computer becomes a toaster when you switch on MSFS.

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing_Z View Post
    See in your second shot how the graphic card lights up?
    My computer becomes a toaster when you switch on MSFS.
    No question the GPU is at 100%, but my PC is an ice box, stays cool under fire, quiet too. What gets me is how little the CPU works in this unit, in my old unit it was the one on fire. I am think about putting another 32 GB RAM in for a 64 GB total. MSFS is RAM heavy too. My first experience with an ATI card. Lots of more adjustments can be made than with nVidia cards. This was not my choice, it was my son's, he only uses ATI and likes them much better than nVidia cards, which are (what he says) "burners", meaning the will roast your system.

Cazzie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazzie View Post
    No question the GPU is at 100%, but my PC is an ice box, stays cool under fire, quiet too. What gets me is how little the CPU works in this unit, in my old unit it was the one on fire. I am think about putting another 32 GB RAM in for a 64 GB total. MSFS is RAM heavy too. My first experience with an ATI card. Lots of more adjustments can be made than with nVidia cards. This was not my choice, it was my son's, he only uses ATI and likes them much better than nVidia cards, which are (what he says) "burners", meaning the will roast your system.

Cazzie
    With that rig you are also set up for "Starfield". I read where AMD worked with Bethesda in development of the game. They also paid Bethesda to be the "Official" GPU company. So, their systems work better with the game.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive

Hi Caz,

Am wondering if you could post any pics of the inside of your new rig. I just got all my components together for my nearly identical build. I basically only changed the M-4 card(s). 4TB and 2TB. Also got 64GB of RAM up front. (16x4)

I especially need to see how your son mounted your Cooling radiator, as there is a heatsink in the way right on top edge of motherboard, right next to the 2 cpu/atx power plugs. Did he remove this heatsink, or did he mount the radiator vertically, next to the motherboard?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2023-10-24 16.30.40.jpg copy.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	224.4 KB 
ID:	92081Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2023-10-24 16.23.59.jpg copy.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	173.4 KB 
ID:	92082

Thanks
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Congrats in your new rig.

What are the specs?
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Congrats in your new rig Cazzie!

Cees

I'm next! Just waiting for the AAFES website to fix a glitch in ordering, and then my bank account is gonna take a hit. But looking forward to better graphics, speed, everything 😆. NC

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    I'm next! Just waiting for the AAFES website to fix a glitch in ordering, and then my bank account is gonna take a hit. But looking forward to better graphics, speed, everything . NC
    Mind sharing the specs Chief?

Pretty sure that it will be a monster!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

I copied Cazzie's build list almost to the letter.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600X; Socket AM5, 6 Core, 12 Thread, 4.7GHz Base/5.3GHz Max Boost, 38 MB Cache, Unlocked

MoBo: MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk; WIFI/BT, USB 3.2, AMD Socket LGA 1718 AM5

Watercooler: Liquid Freezer II 360

GPU: Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT, 20GB DDR6

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 64GB, 4x16GB, 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (The ONLY LED decoration in my build. Don't like the distraction.)
    (Cazzie's original build only has 32GB RAM, however, he mentioned getting another 32GB for 64GB total. I budgeted for 64GB up front.)

SSD 1: Western Digital WD_Black SN770 2TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 5150MB/s R/W (Programs)
    SSD 2: Crucial P3 Plus 4TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 4800MB/s R/W (Storage/Store & Community folders)

Power Supply: Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow ATX Mid-Tower Black
    This case is awesome. NO screws on any access panels, removeale/cleanable dust screens on ALL air entry points. HUGE airlow. Up to 17 120mm fan mounts, (comes with 2) including P/S, GPU, and AIO radiator x6 (Push/Pull) if mounted on top. AIO radiator can be mounted top/front/side. Almost all wiring is hidden. Dark Glass frontside panel. I have 4 Aux 120mm fans now, may install up to 3 more, for total of 14 fans. As Cazzie says "This thing is an icebox."

Win 10 Home Premium. Will upgrade to Win 11 when working properly.

Still assembling right now, hope to get it up and running by tomorrow, then all the downloading/installing. Looking forward to being able to fly without constant freezing right at important times, such as landing.

Pics later.

EDIT: I will be keeping this present rig (in my sig) for non-sim stuff, downloading/storage, etc.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

SOH-CM-2024

Manfred, modelr, et al, my rig and specs.

And but all means if you have an AMD card, switch to DX12 (Beta) and use the AMD FSR 2 Anti-Aliasing. Lots of pix, be patient.

Cazzie

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Mind sharing the specs Chief?

Pretty sure that it will be a monster!

Priller
    YEP!

I did not order additional storage, as I already have several SSDs to install on the new MB, which has 5 slots. Also, I don't want any RGB lighting. To me, that is just not needed at all.
    Case iBUYPOWER HYTE Y60 RGB Gaming Case - Black
    Processor AMD Ryzen™ 9 7900X3D Processor (12X 4.4GHz/128MB L3 Cache)
    Motherboard MSI MAG X670E TOMAHAWK - WiFi 6E, ARGB Header (2), USB 3.2 Ports (2 Type-C, 6 Type-A), M.2 Slot (5)
    Memory 64 GB [32 GB X2] DDR5-6000MHz Memory Module-Kingston Fury Beast
    Video Card NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 -24GB GDDR6X (DLSS 3.0 – AI-Powered Performance) - MSI GAMING X TRIO
    Power Supply 1000 Watt - Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 - 80 PLUS Gold PCIe GEN 5, Fully Modular
    Processor Cooling be quiet! Pure Loop 360mm Liquid Cooler
    Primary Storage 4TB Kingston Fury Renegade M.2 PCIe Gen 4 NVMe SSD -- Gen 4 Read: 7300 MB/s, Write: 7000 MB/s, Gen 3 Read: 3546 MB/s, Write: 3311 MB/s
    Operating System Windows 11 Home-(64-bit)
    Case Fans 3x [Silent] be quiet! Pure Wings 2 120mm Black PWM Fan Pack

Am still waiting on AAFES to fix the website problem. I am going to pester them until they do.NC

P.S. Am going to Univ. South Alabama med center tomorrow for tests. Have real bad reflux, which will require surgery, but the surgeon needs results of these tests to determine how to proceed. I will post again tomorrow evening from a hotel room, as I need to return a monitoring device back to the doc's office Friday morn. NC

I am holding off buying my system anywhere else but AAFES, as it will be a tax-free purchase. And that will be a chunk of change!! NC

Cazzie's system is awesome, but I'll just throw in a recommendation that folks looking at this topic for inspiration on building a PC consider an Nvidia 40x0 card rather than AMD. The faster AMD cards can provide very good performance, but the DLSS 3.0 support on the GeForce cards literally doubles frame rates. In the most demanding scenarios (such as Manhattan with a glass cockpit), it came the difference between 42 fps and 80+. While 42 isn't bad, if you can get double performance for roughly the same price, why not?

(No knock on Cazzie's rig! I'm really glad he's got a high-performance, stable rig now, and his son put together a killer config! And it's good that AMD is providing some competition for Nvidia, since Intel sure isn't.)

Special thanks to Cazzie for posting pictures and info on his new build. I'm in the process of a new build myself and his rig has defiantly given me some new insight! This will be my first build without a cd/dvd drive or a large bulky sata drive, lots more room now for extra cooling. Guess I'm breaking away from the norm here going with a I7 13700 and a RTX 4060 ti.

Finally got mine started. Had to replace the Power supply, it would not work out of the box. Extremely rare for Corsair. Then the unit still would not turn on, after installing second power supply. The power button on the case won't work! I finally switched the reset button wiring to the power switch wiring, so it will turn on! This is my 5th homebuilt unit, and I've never had these kind of problems.

Just got Windows installed, now for all the updating and installing FS2020 again. I have all my add-ons on a separate 4GB portable HDD. Pics will come after case is all buttoned up. The final 3 fans will be here Monday, the 30th, as well as another case stand from Amazon.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

Computer build update. Hit a snag right off the bat. This is my first build with a liquid cpu cooler, pulled the radiator put of the box and was blown away by the size 0f the thing, its HUGE! I've seen car heater cores smaller. Needless to say there was no way I was gonna shoe horn it in the case I got. I bought a no frills case, no glass sides and pretty rgb fans, as I'm pretty old school. So back online to end up buying a case with glass sides and rgb fans. at least this one has several options where to place the radiator and fans. *Sigh*. PSA from Skyhawk, Make absolutely sure that when you buy a case it has plenty of room for everything to fit with room to spare and don't be a cheapskate like me!

Mine is working and seems to be all updated. However, I can't find how to recognize the 4TB NVMe SSD. When I installed Windows, it saw it, but did not energize it. More searching. Biggest problem is Windows did away with Homegroup/Workgroup programs, with no notice, and no way to get into existing ones. So, right now the 4 computers/notebooks can't talk to each other, nor access my home cloud!!
    What next??

Hopefully, tomorrow I can hook my X-56 controls up and try a short flight.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by modelr View Post
    Mine is working and seems to be all updated. However, I can't find how to recognize the 4TB NVMe SSD. When I installed Windows, it saw it, but did not energize it. More searching. Biggest problem is Windows did away with Homegroup/Workgroup programs, with no notice, and no way to get into existing ones. So, right now the 4 computers/notebooks can't talk to each other, nor access my home cloud!!
    What next??

Hopefully, tomorrow I can hook my X-56 controls up and try a short flight.
    Have you used the Disk Management in Windows to see if it sees the drive? You might have to Partition the drive, if it is new.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    Have you used the Disk Management in Windows to see if it sees the drive? You might have to Partition the drive, if it is new.
    Indeed. Non partitioned spaces don't show up in your windows explorer/this PC/File explorer.

As for the homegroup that you have, turn on network discovery. You might have to join the new pc to the homegroup too.

Cheers,

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    John, thanks. So busy trying to figure out WIN 11, I completely missed that.
    Now to figure out with the new system how to devide it's 4TB size into 2 2TB partitions. Used to be easy, but I haven't kept up with the new nomenclature. I get 3 choices for new volume: Simple, Spanned or Striped. ??? Gotta go do some more reading.

Two Simple volumes, compressed. Much easier than it used to be. Thanks John.

I guess us "old dogs" can learn new tricks!
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

Members who have read this thread: 1