The new rig is up and running. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The new rig is up and running.

I got tired of waiting for AAFES to fix their website ordering problems with IBuyPower, so I ordered direct from them. Yep, had to pay bookoo taxes, but f...k it. Final selection of components:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hyte.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	285.7 KB 
ID:	92109

Case iBUYPOWER HYTE Y60 RGB Gaming Case - Black
    Case Fans 3x [Silent] be quiet! Pure Wings 2 120mm Black PWM Fan Pack
    Processor AMD Ryzen™ 9 7900X3D Processor (12X 4.4GHz/128MB L3 Cache)
    Processor Cooling be quiet! Pure Loop 360mm Liquid Cooler
    Memory 64 GB [32 GB X2] DDR5-6000MHz Memory Module - Kingston Fury Beast
    Video Card NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 - 24GB GDDR6X (DLSS 3.0 – AI-Powered Performance) - Founder's Edition
    Game Bundle [FREE Game Bundle] - NVIDIA GeForce Alan Wake 2 Bundle - w/ Purchase of NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070/Ti, 4080, or 4090
    Motherboard MSI MAG X670E TOMAHAWK - WiFi 6E, ARGB Header (2), USB 3.2 Ports (2 Type-C, 6 Type-A), M.2 Slot (5)
    Power Supply 1000 Watt - CORSAIR RM1000X - 80 PLUS Gold, Fully Modular
    Primary Storage 4TB Kingston Fury Renegade M.2 PCIe Gen 4 NVMe SSD -- Gen 4 Read: 7300 MB/s, Write: 7000 MB/s, Gen 3 Read: 3546 MB/s, Write: 3311 MB/s
    Sound Card 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
    Operating System Windows 11 Home - (64-bit)
    Keyboard iBUYPOWER Chimera KM7 RGB Keyboard and Mouse Combo
    Services Professional Wiring - For All Standard Default Cables Inside the System
    Services Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Indeed. Non partitioned spaces don't show up in your windows explorer/this PC/File explorer.

As for the homegroup that you have, turn on network discovery. You might have to join the new pc to the homegroup too.

Cheers,

Priller
    Priller, I found out Homegroup is no longer supported in WIN 10 & 11, since Build 1903 (?) If it is(was) already up and running, it continued to work, but new computers could not join. This is where my problem lies. My two older rigs, and notebooks, were already working before the WIN 10 update from Build 1803, I think it was. Didn't get anything new until just this past month. Wife's new notebook, and my new build. That's when I found out I couldn't join, and went looking for why. These GD KIDS they have programming now think all the apps we have learned and love/hate, aren't necessary. So, they just do away with them, without checking with us users.

Wouldn't be so bad if they would replace them with something better or easier, but nooo. Just dump them. ARRRGGGHHH
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Nice looking rig, Chief. Now the fun begins.

I've been reading all the stuff about CTDs on the other thread, and doing what I could. My first flight was 40 minutes before a total lockup. No CTD, just a lockup. But the sim ran real smooth until then.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

Nice job NC, guess you just motivated me as well. I went with the same/similar company back in 2018, CyberPower PC pre-built. RGB colors and fans, and heavy glass sides. I've only added RAM and SSD, but the 1080Ti is struggling with my VR and it's beyond time to upgrade to get the most of my sims. I'll take a look at AAFES here at Luke AFB.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

If you're looking for a way to pass files back and forth, maybe a networked drive that multiple devices can access as a mapped drive? I've never looked into it seriously, but it should work.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    Nice job NC, guess you just motivated me as well. I went with the same/similar company back in 2018, CyberPower PC pre-built. RGB colors and fans, and heavy glass sides. I've only added RAM and SSD, but the 1080Ti is struggling with my VR and it's beyond time to upgrade to get the most of my sims. I'll take a look at AAFES here at Luke AFB.
    This is the second pc I have bought from them. Mine is still running strong, but I have upgraded what I can. I just reviewed the components I chose for the build and found a error. I modified the order to change the CPU to a Ryzen 9 7950X3D vs a 7900X3D.
    Last edited by Navy Chief; October 28th, 2023 at 16:59.

SOH-CM-2024
    Plumb righteous Chief! Damn that's a beautiful unit. My son would be proud.

Cazzie

Navychief,

How much did you pay for your utterly AMAZING new computer outfit, please?

Regards,

Aharon

Quote Originally Posted by Aharon View Post
    Navychief,

How much did you pay for your utterly AMAZING new computer outfit, please?

Regards,

Aharon

Well, before tax, it was right at $4,899. Then add a whopping $366 tax, and it became: $5,234.68. But the total price is going to go up some more because I messaged them, telling them to install the Ryzen 9 7950X3D vs the 7900X3D. I would loved to have saved the damn $366 that the govt. stole from me in tax, but AAFES has been so slow in communicating with me on fixing their website. It is as if they just don't care that potentially hundreds of sales in their marketplace with other vendors are NOT happening, and WON'T happen until AAFES fixes it. Oh well, it is just money, right? Can't believe I said that. I chose to go all out on this system. I figure I am at the age where why the hell not?!

P.S. Also, the total price a few days earlier was a couple hundred bucks less, but I guess demand for components went up, and so did the prices. I did not want to take a chance on whether the prices "might" go down. Holiday season is approaching, and there will obviously be sales, but I am tired of waiting!!!
    P

This is the monitor I bought a few days ago to replace the Samsung 34" I bought in 2018. Great monitor, but I wanted a OLED monitor. NC

https://www.msi.com/Monitor/MEG-342C-QD-OLED/Overview

Name:	MEG-342C-QD-OLED-1536x761.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	92128

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Well, before tax, it was right at $4,899. Then add a whopping $366 tax, and it became: $5,234.68. But the total price is going to go up some more because I messaged them, telling them to install the Ryzen 9 7950X3D vs the 7900X3D. I would loved to have saved the damn $366 that the govt. stole from me in tax, but AAFES has been so slow in communicating with me on fixing their website. It is as if they just don't care that potentially hundreds of sales in their marketplace with other vendors are NOT happening, and WON'T happen until AAFES fixes it. Oh well, it is just money, right? Can't believe I said that. I chose to go all out on this system. I figure I am at the age where why the hell not?!

P.S. Also, the total price a few days earlier was a couple hundred bucks less, but I guess demand for components went up, and so did the prices. I did not want to take a chance on whether the prices "might" go down. Holiday season is approaching, and there will obviously be sales, but I am tired of waiting!!!
    P

Hi Chief,

Now that is odd, to say the least. Over here in Europe, taxes and prices are supposed to be a lot higher than in the US of A, and for my rig (see sig) I paid about 3700€, inculding taxes.

I don't get it.

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Well, the prices of most everything in the U. S. are higher since, (oh, I don't know, maybe three years ago?).

Our economy went into downward spiral, following the 2020 Election. No need to explain the cause, because politics are of course verboten. NC

Navy Chief,

Thanks for answers

Regards,

Aharon

I figure I am at the age where why the hell not?!
    P

I agree 100% Chief!! I got my rig up and running, wow what a difference! Going from 20fps with the graphics cut way back and no clouds to 75fps with almost every graphic setting at ultra is unbelievable!

My new rig is being built and nearing completion. I purposely did not order any additional ssd drives because I have a few extra already. But I DID order this last night. It will be where all my flight sim software will get installed:

https://reviews.extremehw.net/all-re...-2-ssd-review/

Chief, did you go for the heatsink option as well??

But hose speeds are damn impressive!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Chief, did you go for the heatsink option as well??

But hose speeds are damn impressive!

Priller

Yes I did. 4TB. That ssd is going to be screaming fast!

Name:	51CSWizSxdL._AC_SL1400_.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	92166

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhawk263 View Post
    I agree 100% Chief!! I got my rig up and running, wow what a difference! Going from 20fps with the graphics cut way back and no clouds to 75fps with almost every graphic setting at ultra is unbelievable!
    I've only done three flights so far, fighting control problems. Camera buttons working in the control setup, but not in the aircraft. However, like you say, going from stuttering to smooth and beautiful with ultra graphics is well worth the cash outlay. Mine came out around $2500USD. (Haven't done exact tally, yet, as it was bought piecemeal.)

Still transferring my add-ons over from previous unit, and downloading ones I lost when MFS Addon Collector deleted all my archives after an update over a year ago.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

Quote Originally Posted by modelr View Post
    I've only done three flights so far, fighting control problems. Camera buttons working in the control setup, but not in the aircraft. However, like you say, going from stuttering to smooth and beautiful with ultra graphics is well worth the cash outlay. Mine came out around $2500USD. (Haven't done exact tally, yet, as it was bought piecemeal.)

Still transferring my add-ons over from previous unit, and downloading ones I lost when MFS Addon Collector deleted all my archives after an update over a year ago.

I have only begun to research the "migration" process from my current pc to the new one when it arrives. But as I understand things, since I bought my MSFS install from Steam, the process should be easier.

One thing I am trying to find out more info about is HDMI 2.1. My new system will have it. My surround sound receiver, a Yamaha RX-V6A has three HDMI 2.1 ports. Currently I my sound runs from my PC thru my surround receiver. I think perhaps I will need to buy new cables, as they are not 2.1, and my new monitor IS 8K 2.1.

I have only begun to research the "migration" process from my current pc to the new one when it arrives. But as I understand things, since I bought my MSFS install from Steam, the process should be easier.

One thing I am trying to find out more info about is HDMI 2.1. My new system will have it. My surround sound receiver, a Yamaha RX-V6A has three HDMI 2.1 ports. Currently I my sound runs from my PC thru my surround receiver. I think perhaps I will need to buy new cables, as they are not 2.1, and my new monitor IS 8K 2.1.

HDMI 2.1b Specification Overview Click image for larger version. 

Name:	396729479_10168487819355525_6902152645543923579_n.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	92167

Basically, as far as migration goes:

1) On your old PC, back up your Community folder (or wherever you have your addons stored, if you use MSFS Addons Linker) to storage you can access from your new one. Also back up any other folders like Orbx libraries, etc.

2) When you get your new PC, install the sim, and use the download manager in the sim to reinstall all your marketplace content/WU scenery/etc. Suggest putting your content folder in a custom root directory (such as D:\MSFS) versus the stupid buried default link when you install on the new rig.

3) Once the sim's up and running, copy the Community/addons content to the new system and activate it if you're using an addons linker.

When I moved to my new PC, I moved my entire FS_Addons folder with hundreds of gigs of content to the new system, as well as my backed-up addons linker configs, and was up and running with all my custom content again in minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by modelr View Post

I to am fighting control problems, but I don't think mine is computer related, I think I'm so "used" to flying with that old stuttering hardware that I'm am completely over-controling the aircraft. Its time to learn to fly all over again. I had the same problem learning to fly R/C, and also actually learning yo fly.

This is the monitor I bought a few days ago to replace the Samsung 34" I bought in 2018. Great monitor, but I wanted a OLED monitor. NC

https://www.msi.com/Monitor/MEG-342C-QD-OLED/Overview

Name:	MEG-342C-QD-OLED-1536x761.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	92128
    I'm curious what you think about that QD-OLED running at 1440p... Everything I've seen indicates that an OLED screen at 1440p looks like it's actually a higher resolution due to the black levels and contrast ratio of OLEDs. I'm waiting for larger 21:9 QD-OLEDs hopefully in the 38" to max 45" size) to be released, and will likely go for 2160p, although I'll most certainly have to replace my aging (but good) but RTX 3070.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DaveKDEN View Post
    I'm curious what you think about that QD-OLED running at 1440p... Everything I've seen indicates that an OLED screen at 1440p looks like it's actually a higher resolution due to the black levels and contrast ratio of OLEDs. I'm waiting for larger 21:9 QD-OLEDs hopefully in the 38" to max 45" size) to be released, and will likely go for 2160p, although I'll most certainly have to replace my aging (but good) but RTX 3070.

I can say that he resolution is indeed beautiful! Currently I am still using a system with a Nvidia 1080ti, which does look great, but I am looking forward to seeing what the 4090 will do. Also, once I swap out my HDMI cables with HDMI 2.1 cables, I expect further improvements.

I can say that he resolution is indeed beautiful! Currently I am still using a system with a Nvidia 1080ti, which does look great, but I am looking forward to seeing what the 4090 will do. Also, once I swap out my HDMI cables with HDMI 2.1 cables, I expect further improvements.
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm anxiously waiting for the new crop of QD-OLED monitors. I almost purchased the LG UltraGear 45" OLED from BestBuy when it was on sale, but all the reviews of it criticized that it was only 1440p on such a large display and the dpi wasn't very good. We'll see what the new year holds...
    Maybe try the display port cable when you get the new 4090. Everything I read indicates it's the better option vs. HDMI.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Members who have read this thread: 1