Fins Up

Thread: Fins Up

SOH-CM-2023

Fins Up

Just saw online. Aviator, Musician and Businessman Jimmy Buffet has died

Fins Up, Have a Margarita with your Cheeseburger in Paradise at the Tiki Bar.....
    You can't take the sky from me...

Just saw it too. I've been listening to and loving his music since I received his album 'Son Of A Son Of A Sailor' as a Christmas present back in the 70's. Today is a very sad day in Margaritaville. Sympathies to all my fellow Parrotheads. Rest in peace Jimmy.

Brian

Long time fan of Jimmy's music, going back to the 70s, as stated in previous post. Only saw him once in concert. Minneapolis, 79-80 timeframe, during the Iran US hostage crisis. Jimmy got up in front of the mic, and said that the concert was being broadcast live through 33 radio networks. He dedicated the first song to Iran's Ayatollah, and then blew the raspberry sound into the mic. Helluva concert AND performer. RIP Jimmy.

Became a big fan in the 70's in college and then had the fortune to have a private conversation while he was on sailing trip in New England in 2013. I said let me ask you a question you don't normally get asked: what is the best Grumman amphibian to own? He said, "well I have owned three of them" and then we talked flying for the next 45 minutes. He's a very serious minded aviator. Asked why he never had a Mallard his answer was that he Widgeon, Goose and HU-16 all were designed for and with the USN and insisted on water tight compartments in the hull to avoid excess bilge water causing a dangerous shift in CG. Fascinating. He could not have been nicer. Asked what I did, I said "I'm a lawyer, a thief and a banker" which he thought was very funny.

Piece about his flying experience and planes:

https://avgeekery.com/remembering-ji...4vihDHo_pAZmJ4
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Members who have read this thread: 0