Iowa Class Battleships

Thread: Iowa Class Battleships

Iowa Class Battleships

Since Stuart just released these for CFS2 I was wondering if anyone knew how much all 4 sailed together.

Once for about an Hour in the 1950's.
    3 were in harbor on the East Coast of the US and a Admiral kept them there so all 4 could be together for the only time.When they sailed out of port 2 stayed in the Atlantic and other 2 went to the Pacific.

During WWII there was usually only 2 sailing with the fleet.Remember their completion dates were spread out.When all 4 were finished 2 were with the fleet and rotated out for a refit or overhaul and the other 2 replaced them.After the war 2 were stationed in the Pacific and 2 in the Atlantic.

This was found out by my son just recently.

Hiede

Nice research & history lesson .A question I never would have thought of.

Quote Originally Posted by highpockets View Post
    Nice research & history lesson .A question I never would have thought of.
    Highpockets,

In the early days of CFS2 people were interested in the history of the planes and ships during the war.Now all they care about is if they get missions,planes,ships,scenery and ect.I've been in these forums for over 20 years now and have seen a lot of changes in people's attitude.It's such a shame.

Hiede

I've been here as long, if not longer than you, and missions, planes, ships, scenery etc have always been, and quite rightly so, what people have cared about...that's why the forums were created.

There have always been bits of history, stories and anecdotes mixed in, which is interesting, but primarily SOH has always been, and always will be, a flightsim resource centre.

As for CFS2 specifically, yes there are fewer people 'making' for this sim (which is a shame) and commenting on posts, but it's still got the most add-ons of all the sims here, and second on sim threads, that's pretty healthy both in resource terms and CFS2-simmers intereactions.

And don't forget, subjects that you might find interesting and worth mentioning, other people might not.

I don't think peoples attitudes have changed a lot here, people still get excited by the latest new shiny thing...but we've all just got older...ha ha!

Cheers

Shessi

Icon26 History?

Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    I've been here as long, if not longer than you, and missions, planes, ships, scenery etc have always been, and quite rightly so, what people have cared about...that's why the forums were created.

There have always been bits of history, stories and anecdotes mixed in, which is interesting, but primarily SOH has always been, and always will be, a flightsim resource centre.

As for CFS2 specifically, yes there are fewer people 'making' for this sim (which is a shame) and commenting on posts, but it's still got the most add-ons of all the sims here, and second on sim threads, that's pretty healthy both in resource terms and CFS2-simmers intereactions.

And don't forget, subjects that you might find interesting and worth mentioning, other people might not.

I don't think peoples attitudes have changed a lot here, people still get excited by the latest new shiny thing...but we've all just got older...ha ha!

Cheers

Shessi
    Shessi: I agree with your assessment. I, for one, almost always include an historical background in my Objectives portion of the mission briefings in my campaigns' documentation. I also include a sort of "bibliography" of my research sources to aid the downloader to more easily read up on the historical facts and info.

I am currently working on an update of my "Saratoga CV-3 2020" campaign and intend to include a short blurb on her post-war fate and something about her namesake (a ship on which a close friend and colleague at the DAV served). I will tell quite a bit of CV-3's history in slides on the campaign's opening, intermediate and closing videos.

Lastly: Shessi; thank you for your many contributions, helping to keep this sim alive! As for getting older, let's hope we continue to do so.

Cheers to all:
    Shadow Wolf 07
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Cheers SW, you are welcome (and thank you for yours as well), and hear-hear to continuinnnnnnnnnng to get older!

Cheers

Shessi

Quote Originally Posted by Hiede View Post
    In the early days of CFS2 people were interested in the history of the planes and ships during the war.Now all they care about is if they get missions,planes,ships,scenery and ect.
    Well... I am interested in those things. When Stuart releases new ships, I often wonder what their history is. Same with planes. In the past (15 or 20 years ago) I would have asked if someone could tell me about them. But nowadays, I can just browse Google and/or Wikipedia and find the answers by myself. I think most people do the same and that's why there are less people asking for this kind of information on forums like this one.

Members who have read this thread: 0