Twelve Engines!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twelve Engines!

Twelve Engines!

The next Local Legends is out! To go along with the Wester Europe City Update, the plane that goes along with it is the Dornier Do X. The trailer looks fantastic - I can just imagine a nice overnight ride in something like that.

The official thread states that this is another Oliver Moser release.

Wiki specs the type out as having radial engines, but after doing some digging, this release appears to have the retrofitted Curtiss V-1570 Conqueror engines. That would give this beast a whopping 144 cylinders and a total of 7,320 (per the below article) horses under all of its cowlings. This one might be quite interesting to fly! One thing to note. The article implies that the first flight of the Do X was with the Curtis engines, but from what I can tell, it first flew with 9-cylinder radials and was later retrofitted with the Curtiss engines.

https://www.flightsimulator.com/micr...x-flying-boat/
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Charter Member 2011
    Flying Boat? More like Flying Ship!
    But
    The largest flying boat in history is now available for simmers to fly throughout the globe in Microsoft Flight Simulator!
    *Cough* Spruce Goose

They qualified their statement by stipulating that it was the largest operational flying boat.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Lots of angst on the officials due to yet another “boat”. Oliver makes good stuff though.

Every time a flying boat gets added to MSFS I get to enjoy all the lads who long for their specific BoeBus A-736-450 with the split galley window that flew for a specific budget airline for one season in 1998 complain about how nobody wants another flying boat.....

as I press the purchase button on another flying boat.

It's a treat, though it feels slightly "less" than the Latecoere 631, I still love it.

As an aside, has anyone managed to figure out how to manipulate the engine timing levers?
    EDIT: Aha, it's a small square tab located at about the 5 o clock position labeled "cover" that apparently fixes the timing levers in place.
    Last edited by SH427; August 23rd, 2023 at 18:04.
    -building a new sig as you see this!-

Quote Originally Posted by SH427 View Post
    It's a treat, though it feels slightly "less" than the Latecoere 631, I still love it.
    Remarkable that Jonathan Beckett refers to the likewise amazing Latecoere 631 model not even *once* in his Do X review, isn't it.. Only by viewing the Do X videos alone i definately smell BlueMesh all over the place. Or atleast the very same crew that developed the Latecoere model. I suppose Oliver Moser might well be connected to BlueMesh or maybe even IS BlueMesh. His JU-52 model also fits perfectly alongside the Latecoere and Do X, doesn't it.

In any case, doesn't matter, both these enormous flying boats represent the very best of MSFS aircraft modeling, texturing and development.Even the water wake- and spray effects look acceptable now. I'd say keep 'em coming ! A bit of British stature now maybe ? (Short Sunderland or Empire...)

That was top of my wishlist concerning flyingboats.

Did not know there was one in the making, so I am pleasantly surprised and glad it seems to be an Oliver Moser release.

Will get it as soon as possible
    Dont grow up! ... It´s a trap!

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    or Empire...
    That's the one I'm hoping for.

I would love a good PBY Catalina...
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Only by viewing the Do X videos alone i definately smell BlueMesh all over the place. Or atleast the very same crew that developed the Latecoere model. I suppose Oliver Moser might well be connected to BlueMesh or maybe even IS BlueMesh. His JU-52 model also fits perfectly alongside the Latecoere and Do X, doesn't it.
    The developer "BlueMesh" is a French 3D artist/graphic designer by the name of Jimmy Battut.

Oliver Moser (oliXsim) is an older gentleman who lives in Germany (in addition to the Ju 52 and Do X, he has also done the Dornier Do J 'Wal' and Junkers F 13).
    Last edited by Bomber_12th; August 24th, 2023 at 05:35.

Cockpit

A First Look video that shows the cockpit in detail. Very impressive, in particular the engine room.

Jump to 4:20 on the video.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	228.2 KB 
ID:	91615 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	217.1 KB 
ID:	91616 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	203.1 KB 
ID:	91617

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    The developer "BlueMesh" is a French 3D artist/graphic designer by the name of Jimmy Battut.

Oliver Moser (oliXsim) is an older gentleman who lives in Germany (in addition to the Ju 52 and Do X, he has also done the Dornier Do J 'Wal' and Junkers F 13).
    Thanks, John. Make sense doesn't it. One famous vintage French flying boat and one famous vintage German flying boat. Not only these two quite familiar flying boats and the remarkable same style of superb modeling/texturing seem to give away some sort of cooperation in the development between these two amazing models. The one thing that deffinately glues them together is the very same tug boat to tow them to their take-off 'waterway' along with the very similar style of the options menu. You can f.i. call the tug boat in the Latecoere with the 'Towing' menu and call it in the Do X with the 'Schleppboot' menu (which means tug boat).

Maybe i am mistaken with my assumption but i can't think of a reason why a cooperation between Mr.Battut and Mr.Moser could not have taken place to produce both these remarkable flying boat models. In fact i would love the idea and hope and can't wait for their next cooperative project. Long live MSFS developer cooperation !

This Dornier is not yet in my flying hands however if I have the Latecoere 631, it is fun to fly with it for a while but it has no depth, at least I don't know it maybe and just maybe a good radio for NDB navigation would be nice to see simulated, at least I am not able to figure out how to do it if possible, still sitting in the engine control room of the Ltecoere is something incredible

It's a beauty, for sure. Really nicely done!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    They qualified their statement by stipulating that it was the largest operational flying boat.
    "Martin Mars enters the chat."

(Do X was longer, but the Mars has more wingspan and a much higher max gross weight. And was operational for over 70 years as a transport and fire bomber.)

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    Do X was longer, but the Mars has more wingspan and a much higher max gross weight. And was operational for over 70 years as a transport and fire bomber.
    But wasn't it like a *true* 'Flying Boat' was supposed to be a passenger aircraft that in particular was developed to take over the role of the then still popular Ocean Liners ?.. ( hence the name "Flying Boat" ? ) The Martin Mars (as well as the Hughes H-4 which was still bigger than the Mars) were designed for militairy purpose not passenger transport as such.

Mind you, i am no pro regarding flying boats at all, i just love 'em (flying and sailing, what more do you want ! ) and i just remember because my favourite poison stems from the good old era of Flying Boat Transport. US flying boat passengers for the UK and Europe would be extremely cold, tired and exhausted after crossing the Atlantic and arriving at Ireland and would be served a big glass of hot coffee, whiskey and whipped cream to make them feel alive again. It became known very quickly as 'Irish Coffee' and i can personally vouch for it that it really works.

When I see this, I'm reminded that I live in a house that was built in 1920. Older then this aircraft. Goes without saying, we have come a long way. Kudos to MS and Asobo for delivering these unique seaboats. -d
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

But wasn't it like a *true* 'Flying Boat' was supposed to be a passenger aircraft that in particular was developed to take over the role of the then still popular Ocean Liners ?.. ( hence the name "Flying Boat" ? ) The Martin Mars (as well as the Hughes H-4 which was still bigger than the Mars) were designed for militairy purpose not passenger transport as such.
    The term "flying boat" simply refers to a seaplane that has a hull it uses for buoyancy, versus "float planes" that use fuselage mounted floats for buoyancy.

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    I would love a good PBY Catalina...
    Yes! Please!
    --Brian

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs
    Yesterday I was flying around in the Dornier DO X. I had launched from the Latecoere 631 primary base in France, LFB4.
    Now I admit that I've never been any further than the stop sign in my little mouse town but you can learn a thing or two even in flight simming!
    I was only 10-20 NM from LFB4 heading roughly due North when I came upon this, Dune of Pilat. There was a nice river estuary just a little further North, also.
    However, without a rudimentary auto pilot or VOR/NDB radio guidance I'll have to stick close to the shoreline and never venture out over the great pond.

Screenshot (3660) by Donald McCann, on Flickr

Screenshot (3653) by Donald McCann, on Flickr

Screenshot (3654) by Donald McCann, on Flickr

Screenshot (3658) by Donald McCann, on Flickr

Screenshot (3657) by Donald McCann, on Flickr

- Don

Quote Originally Posted by azflyboy View Post
    The term "flying boat" simply refers to a seaplane that has a hull it uses for buoyancy, versus "float planes" that use fuselage mounted floats for buoyancy.
    Well said, flyboy, crisp and clear. No confusion about that.

For anybody interested in "The Flying Boat" here's a nice little overview, with special attention to the gigantic Saunders-Roe Princess that added another 17 feet to the lenght of the Do-X and a whopping 63 feet to the Do-X wingspan. Alas it turned out to be a plane designed for a future that never existed...:

https://youtu.be/-f906Sy79hA?si=voTNDG1COL_8B29y

That's a wonderful shot, Donald

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Just finished my first cold start flight. What a nice aircraft!

Forest

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post

This release is really enjoyable. The Do-X is good for some truely stunning screenshots here
    Dont grow up! ... It´s a trap!

Members who have read this thread: 1