RYAN NAVION B relaeased

Thread: RYAN NAVION B relaeased

RYAN NAVION B relaeased

Just a HU:

spotted on simmarket. Hangar Studioīs Ryan Navion freshly released.

Still enjoying their Camair 480 Twin Navion (which was thoroughly updated and improved by the developer), so this one might be interesting too.

Regards
    Alex
    Dont grow up! ... Itīs a trap!

Would be interesting to see how it compares to the freeware one.

If I remember correctly I had the freeware one installed to compare it with the Twin Navion, being based on the Navion. I finally deleted it, cause I was disappointed. Not being picky, itīs great work as it is being freeware and all. But - and thatīs just me - MSFS overal visual quality spoiled me, so the modelling felt a bit too rough around the edges to me compared to Hangar Studioīs work.

Nice mix of steam and modern avionics! I'll likely pick this one up this weekend!
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

I had to bite the bullet and go ahead with this since I was updating the sim anyway.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

OK - so far, I like it. It has a few too many gimmicks like being able to open the gas doors (nice, but why?), but ignoring those, this is a nice little regional runabout. It has a nice vintage feel while still being able to handle modern airspaces. The sounds are nice, and it handles like someone with absolutely no experience flying anything like it might expect.

I wish I knew what the big hydraulic knob does - the hydraulic pressure comes up with engine start and the gear works fine.

I also wish that someone would get some soap and water and clean that $&#**&% bug splatter off the windscreen!
    Edit - I walked into the FBO, picked up a can of spray cleaner and a rag, and did it myself! In other words, I opened the base texture folder, opened NAVION_CLEAN_ALBD.PNG.DDS with Gimp, and deleted the splatter graphics from the texture file. Now I can see where I'm going without the distraction...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Microsoft Flight Simulator Screenshot 2023.08.23 - 18.23.15.60.jpg  
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

It looks OK from a distance but there are things that look 'odd' to me when you start looking in detail, especially the cross-section of the cowling. Definitely some liberties taken in the cockpit but almost every one I studied was different in some way and no two were alike!

It's alright I guess but then again I may be a bit biased having built the 'A' model, the 'B' model and the Twin for FSX!
    Larry

I think it's a decent value for the money. My only real quibble (after cleaning off the bug splat) is the oversized black on gray reg. in the cockpit. Maybe the author will put in a smaller placard-style registration on the panel in a future update.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

This is actually from the author of the freeware version. The updates for the Twin Navion since release have been like watching him go from hobbyist to professional. The first version I bought to support him as it launched at a very reasonable price and I like to support enthusiast developers doing less mainstream planes. Figured it'd be hangared after a few flights. But the updates improved the Twin Navion dramatically over time -- it went from a bit better than the freeware Navion, with shape issues and simple textures, to really being a solid, accurate, payware quality plane.

Whatever quirks the single-engine Navion has, I'd expect it to improve similarly over time. And the author is very friendly and open to feedback on his Discord. Tom, you should pop over to his Discord (or send feedback via email/FS.to) on the placard issue you cite -- betcha anything he'd be happy for the feedback.

Ryan Navion B "Super 260"

Hello All,
    I'm the developer of the Ryan Navion B and its great to see the community so excited over my newest release. I just wanted to say hello and I'll try to answer any/all of your questions you may have about the aircraft.
    I thought I'd start off with a few livery comparisons of the sim vs. real. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fraser Blues.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	91837Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lou Navion A.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	91838Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Navion B Super 260 Base.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	91839Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Super 260.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	91840

Keep in mind the I made the the tip tanks/windshield divider /window dividers optional. The 3D model has over 2 million polygons and is in 8K. I realize some textures were not up to par and I have fixed those and many other little details that matter in version 1.0.1. Here are the upcoming changes :

Adjusted Flaps Flight Model
    Adjusted Elevator Flight model
    Fixed Glass Reflections
    Fixed animation on PAX Lights
    Fixed animation on ADF Swap Freq
    Fixed CDI Animation and Texture
    Fixed Glide Slope On/Off animation
    Fixed Texture Green/Gold Livery
    New Cockpit/Canopy Interior textures/mesh
    Fixed Multiplayer mesh
    Fixed Visor Texture
    Added Frost Texture
    Clean/Dirt animations/visibility swapped

These last two are new to the SDK and come with new variables to us from SU13 SDK Update

New Mixture ratio to power efficiency (Previously sim limited)
    New Mixture Lever to Mixture Ratio (Previously sim limited)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    I think it's a decent value for the money. My only real quibble (after cleaning off the bug splat) is the oversized black on gray reg. in the cockpit. Maybe the author will put in a smaller placard-style registration on the panel in a future update.
    The placard is pretty big IRL as this is the plane I 3D modeled off of, but the color is white and to me that was too distracting so I kept it black. I've attached a photo as to the Real Navion I used for reference

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cockpit.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	91841

Quote Originally Posted by Tako_Kichi View Post
    It looks OK from a distance but there are things that look 'odd' to me when you start looking in detail, especially the cross-section of the cowling. Definitely some liberties taken in the cockpit but almost every one I studied was different in some way and no two were alike!

It's alright I guess but then again I may be a bit biased having built the 'A' model, the 'B' model and the Twin for FSX!
    Larry,
    Nice to meet you! Love the bias, as I would be as well lol - I started this model from scratch and learned all of the sims development within the past two years. My 1st plane was the Navion A freeware. I used the fs2006 model after I got permission from the developers to do so. Sadly one had passed away and in his memory his son wanted me to mention him in my work so I did. I met Chad Hawthorne online and he has a quite a few Navion videos out there with his historic plane. He helped me for 3 months straight every day going over the flight dynamics and every nook and cranny of the cockpit. My freeware literally is his plane the N4888K. I have since joined a few Navion Groups online and on FB groups as well. One of the groups helped me out extremely with all of the specifics of the Navions. In fact some of them I used their planes for my liveries as seen in another post. In fact all 4 of those liveries contacted me in one way or another and are in love with the final results.

I also did another freeware "experimental" Navion and called it the Super Navion which literally was just another evolution of my development. I basically put a TBM engine/turboprop with all of its gauges and overhead into the plane and made it about as fast as I could within logical reason so it wasn't that far fetched. I learned they were working on a Navion with the West Coast Navions mods with and IO-720 4 blade beast of a machine. That's what prompted me to want to build the "Super". It was just a for fun project and I also made it freeware.

I started to really grow fond of the Navions and the relationships I have made with the pilots/owners is amazing!. I love how unique the shape of the plane is. I used diagrams of the plane with exact measurements and in Blender used the measuring tools to get everything to scale to the exact mm to scale in the simulator.

As you can probably tell by my messages in here, I take my work to heart and I'm definitely a down to earth developer who listens and wants to put out the best I can for the flight sim community. I started all of this 2 years ago from scratch - a knew nothing about the development of planes. I dabbled in some scenery and learned the SDK through the documentation. The most important part was learning from the community. Jonx at Got Friends started a Discord for developers who are up and coming and I joined it in its infancy about 2-1/2 years ago now(FS2 Discord). He has since joined together with the rest of Got Friends and you can see where that partnership has blossomed. This past year he made me a moderator which I love to help out for the new developers. Some of them are in the Official marketplace as well with their own teams since I have started. I help out where I can as that is my nature. The Discord has over 1000 Developers/members and we all learn from one another to make the sim a better place and with cutting edge improvements learned every day.

A bit of my back story if anyone is interested, I will include next.

I hope you enjoy the aircraft and if you need a copy, just ask. I mean no disrespect in any form if it comes across that way as that is definitely not my intention messaging you in here, but I figure the best way to tell everyone a part of my story would be through communication in the forum(s). This is just one now of the many I am a part of and I'm glad I found it.

Nick

Thanks for the update! Do you know when it will be at SimMarket? They're showing v1.0.0 currently.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Thanks for the update! Do you know when it will be at SimMarket? They're showing v1.0.0 currently.
    Tom,

It is in the testing phase now. I might release it as early as this week. I have a few guest appearances to make on some content creators this weekend and they have that version as well. It won't be in the Official Marketplace in until maybe 2 weeks. It takes them some time to validate it, but they are pretty quick with any updates. It's just the initial process for a new plane takes about a month or so. 3rd party websites like Sim Market and Flightsim.to take about a day - One day I'll figure out how to get my website to be able to sell it. I'm not really that proficient in web design as this is all new to me. I have a minor in Computer programming but that is over 25 years ago since I wrote HTML, any more its all templates drag and drop. If you haven't already you can visit it here - https://www.hangarstudios713.com

Nick

OK - so far, I like it. It has a few too many gimmicks like being able to open the gas doors (nice, but why?), but ignoring those, this is a nice little regional runabout. It has a nice vintage feel while still being able to handle modern airspaces. The sounds are nice, and it handles like someone with absolutely no experience flying anything like it might expect.

I wish I knew what the big hydraulic knob does - the hydraulic pressure comes up with engine start and the gear works fine.

I also wish that someone would get some soap and water and clean that $&#**&% bug splatter off the windscreen!
    Edit - I walked into the FBO, picked up a can of spray cleaner and a rag, and did it myself! In other words, I opened the base texture folder, opened NAVION_CLEAN_ALBD.PNG.DDS with Gimp, and deleted the splatter graphics from the texture file. Now I can see where I'm going without the distraction...
    Ahh the hydraulics that's a WIP in progress I have fixed them now so that they work in 1.0.1 not sure if I included them in my notes. The normal hydraulic lever/knob controls the hydraulics by default. The emergency is only to be used if you want to "simulate" the failure of the normal hydraulics and will allow them to work. WIP part -as it was explained to me from real Navion owners/pilots, the knob below the gear handle is a gear lock lever and its humanly impossible to pull that knob unless you go into negative G's, so to get the gear failure to work both normal and emergency valve must be shut off, going into a negative G allows the pressure of the lock to open the gear doors and let the gear fall down and lock into place via gravity. The pump handle under the throttles is only used to "pump" the gear back up. This is going to take a lot more code as the animations are already there and I have at least the highlight for them for now as you mouse over them. Sorry for the confusion as I did not explain that in the manual, but I will update that as i go. Great question and I plan to get it right.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Navion Hydraulics Diagram.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	708.7 KB 
ID:	91842
    Last edited by Hangar Studios 713; September 30th, 2023 at 11:26. Reason: Needed to add a diagram I received fromthe pilots as to how the hydraulics function in the Navion

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    Would be interesting to see how it compares to the freeware one.
    I dislike saying this, by my freeware version is nothing compared to my Navion B night and Day scenario- The freeware wasn't even my model and I made sure to contact the developers of that model from FS2006 and credit them as needed to use that and its included in my documentation with the download as per request. Yes, the freeware that is available on the internets is mine. It was my 1st aircraft project I started over two years ago. It has the flight dynamics very similar to the model B as I used them as my base and further enhanced them with direct input and testing from real Navion owner's/pilots over the years. Even the Camair 480 Twin I did isn't this detailed. I do have more freeware available on my website as I discontinued the freeware line on Flightsim.to, but they still keep it up, even though I am now a partner with them as well under my "official" name. Kinda weird, but it is what it is. Here's a link to my website if you are interested - https://www.hangarstudios713.com

Thanks,
    Nick

Welcome to Sim Outhouse, Nick! Appreciate all of the background, and your passion for the plane!

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    Welcome to Sim Outhouse, Nick! Appreciate all of the background, and your passion for the plane!
    Thank you for your support DennyA.

Nick

FWIW - my father's Navion - Biggs AFB 1952

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan14.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	91843

Definitely on my list for October. It looks fantastic. I've always loved the "civvie P-51" vibe of the Navion.
    --Brian

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Welcome to SOH, Nick. And thank you for the background information.

The Navion as well as the Camair are often used by me and I appreciate hard work you put into your devlopments and I feel your passionate focus on the Navion really pays off for this aircraft.

Thanks.
    Alex

Nick, thanks for the active support! Your explanations of things like the interior placard are good for perspective. I also found the option to clean the bug splat after altering the texture - nice touch in the tablet!
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

The .to site and SimMarket now have the 1.0.1 update.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Members who have read this thread: 3