GB Bombs UT

Thread: GB Bombs UT

GB Bombs UT

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Other - Weapon packs

Description: GB bombs for CFS2 by UncleTgt

This is a collection of GB bomb models, compiled as weapon bgls, so they can be added via the aircraft dp.

By the middle of 1943 the teardop shape pre-war bombs had been largely replaced by the MC (Medium Capacity) series, largely similar to the US GP bombs & German SC bombs, with cylindrical sides, but with a different tail assembly. Having worked up models for the MC series, I decided to expand the range & provide some of the other ordnance types commonly carried as well.

They are multiLOD, & each model centre is the pylon hang point, same as Allens & DBolts weapons. This should allow for some consolidation of aircraft mounts, helping with CFS 2's 24 Hardpoint limit.

GB_20lbFrag_UT
    20lb fragmentation bomb. Could be used by RAAF PBY's as a "nuisance" weapon on LR airfield suppression raids (e.g. Rabaul, Kavieng)

GB_30lbIB_UT
    30lb incendiary bomb. Could be used by RAAF PBY's as a "nuisance" weapon on LR airfield suppression raids (e.g. Rabaul, Kavieng)

GB_100lbAS_UT
    Early war Anti-Sub bomb. Useless in this role, this weapon later found a second life being carried by Albacores
    on nighttime missions over the English Channel, as an anti-E Boat weapon.

GB_120lbGP_UT
    A revision of the light bomb carried by Swordfish, Albacore et al. I found the Groundcrew weapon to appear about 20% too large, so I just made my own

GB_250lbGPerly_UT
    Standard early war 250lb bomb, in buff yellow colour. These had all gone by mid-1941 (see next)

GB_250lbGPlate_UT
    The pre-war buff colour gave way to the green colour ordnance. By mid-1941 250lb GP bombs would be green colour.
    It is possible to see bombs of both colours on the same aircraft during the transition period...

GB_250lbMC_UT
    An early attempt at improving the blast power to match the US & German bombs, but still retaining some of the old shape, & a long-ish tail

GB_250lbSAP_UT
    Semi-Armour piercing bombs retained their teardop shape.

GB_500lbMC_sht_UT
    This became an almost universal payload of the FAA's TBF Avengers. The short stubby tail gave it a disctinctive look.

GB_500lbSAP_UT
    Semi-Armour piercing bombs retained their teardop shape.

GB_600lbAS_UT
    Basically a blunt-nosed, much larger anti-sub bomb, not very successful in this role, but a useful blast power against shipping.
    Seen on some Barracuda's during the Tirpitz raids.

GB_1000lbMC_UT
    As with the 500lb MC, I've modelled the shorter tail unit.

GB_F20x4_UT
    As these light weapons were usually deployed in some numbers, I made a bundle of 4 bombs to fit the Light Series Carrier.
    Developed as a workaround for CFS 2's hardpoint number limit

GB_IB30x4_UT
    As these light weapons were usually deployed in some numbers, I made a bundle of 4 bombs to fit the Light Series Carrier.
    Developed as a workaround for CFS 2's hardpoint number limit

GB_LSCx4_UT
    My version of the Light Series Carrier, ubiquitous light stores mount used on lot's of RAF/FAA light bombers

It's a visual tradeoff, they drop "tidy", & you only get 1 bomb blast. But seeing as CFS2 sees bombs as 1 of 3 or 4 types, so everything up to 300lb would be a Type 1 bomb anyways, so IMHO smaller weight bombs like these are way "over-specd" in most cases. These were used as a part of the airfield denial payload by RAAF PBY's across SWPTO & PNG through 1943, later supplanted & replaced by US 30lb GP bundles (I've already made these)

To install, unzip the download to a temporary location & move/ copy files to the matching folder names inside your chosen CFS 2 install.

Thanks to

Allen for his Making Exploding Objects using FS2002 Tools & Tutorial
    Arno Gerretsen for ModelconverterX & FXeditor, such clever & versatile tools

This is freeware and subject to the usual conditions

UncleTgt
    AUG 2023

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit GB Bombs UT
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Thank you!

They look da'...I won't say it..

Nicely done, many thanks.

Cheers

Shessi

Cheers guys.

For those of you wondering why, I've just posted GB ETO skinpacks for Wolfi's TBF & Capt Kurt's Hellcat. They both have DPs that make use of the GB ordnance (particularly the 500lb MC bomb... )

Great!

Pretty work UT....just got them.

UncleTgt,

Thanks for these bombs!

Andrew

Thank you UncleTgt, these look great.

msfossey

Thank you very much UncleTgt.

Thank you! It is always great to be able to drop the appropriate bombs types!

Thank you very much for these, John!

Members who have read this thread: 1