Early USAAC Bombs UT

Thread: Early USAAC Bombs UT

Early USAAC Bombs UT

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Other - Weapon packs

Description: Early-war USAAC bombs for CFS2 by UncleTgt

This is a collection of early-war US bomb models, compiled as weapon bgls, so they can be added via the aircraft dp.

Whilst researching for my Solomons scenery I kept coming across accounts of B-17's(in particular) carrying out raids using 300lb &/or 600lb weapons. I came across a couple of photos of B-17s being bombed up in the Philippines/ Dutch East Indies & that seemed to confirm they were real weapons, & not misremembered/incorrectly recorded bomb weights. I couldn't find much online apart from a few references to an obsolete Mk1(modified) range of bombs, developed prior to WW2, but declared unfit for use (poor ballistics & flight characteristics...).
    These USAAC weapons are missing from CFS 2. I'm guessing the crews used these weapons in the absence of anything better! Visually they looked more bulbous & bulky than the later GP series weapons, as modelled by DBolt.

They are multiLOD, & each model centre is the pylon hang point, same as Allens & DBolts weapons. This should allow for some consolidation of aircraft mounts, helping with CFS 2's 24 Hardpoint limit.

WEP_US_1100lb_mk3M1_UT
    1100lb bomb, used as a blast bomb through 1942 & into 1943.

WEP_US_600lb_mk1M3_UT
    600lb bomb, used as a blast bomb through 1942 & into 1943.

WEP_US_300lb_mk1M2_UT
    300lb bomb, used as a blast bomb through 1942 & into 1943.

WEP_US_100lb_mk1M4_sngle_UT
    100lb bomb, often used as an anti-personnel weapon during long-range raids on Jap airbases.

WEP_US_100lb_mk1M4_x5_UT
    a vertical stack of 5 x 100lb bombs. Developed as a workaround for CFS 2's hardpoint number limit
    (a B-17E carried 20 of these - this way they only use 4 hardpoints)

It's a visual tradeoff, they drop "tidy", & you only get 4 bomb blasts. But seeing as CFS2 sees bombs as 1 of 3 or 4 types, so everything up to 300lb would be a Type 1 bomb anyways, so IMHO smaller weight bombs are way "over-specd" in most cases. These were used as a standard airfield denial payload by B-17s across SWPTO & PNG through 1943.

This exercise spurred me to develop similar "clusters of DBolt's 100lb GP bombs, also included in this pack. These would be more appropraite for 1943 onwards.

WEP_DB_US_100lb_x5_UT
    a vertical stack of 5 x 100lb bombs. Developed as a workaround for CFS 2's hardpoint number limit
    (a B-17E carried 20 of these - this way they only use 4 hardpoints)

WEP_DB_US_100lb_x4_UT
    a horizontal line of 4 x 100lb bombs. Developed as a workaround for CFS 2's hardpoint number limit
    (a TBF carried 12 of these - this way they only use 3 hardpoints)

To install, unzip the download to a temporary location & move/ copy files to the matching folder names inside your chosen CFS 2 install.

Thanks to

Allen for his Making Exploding Objects using FS2002 Tools & Tutorial
    Arno Gerretsen for ModelconverterX & FXeditor, such clever & versatile tools

This is freeware and subject to the usual conditions

UncleTgt
    AUG 2023

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Early USAAC Bombs UT
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Icon26

UncleTgt,

Thanks for these bombs!

Andrew

Thank you UncleTgt. I'm looking forward to trying these out.

msfossey

Thank you UncleTgt. Looking forward to trying these new bombs asap.

These bombs look very nice, thanks, John!

Members who have read this thread: 1