FSX Steam vs FSX

Thread: FSX Steam vs FSX

FSX Steam vs FSX

I currently have FSX installed via Steam. I don't like all of the Steam updates and messages. I have my original FSX plus the Acceleration pack and was thinking of getting rid of FSX Steam and installing my original FSX.

Thoughts, pros/cons?

Thanks!

T

What kind of updates and messages are you getting for FSX ? I use Steam a lot and I don't get much annoyance, if at all.
    The original FSX version is a pain in comparison of the Steam edition. I wouldn't advise you to switch back to it.

Be aware thst some tools don't work fully with FSX Steam. That's the case with Flight 1's "Airport Facilitator X". The very helpful interface allowing WYSIWYG mode cannot be used. It needs at least FSX Deluxe Edition. I don't know whether they are issues with other tools too.

Bernard

I have found the Steam Edition to run smoother and with fewer crashes than boxed versions of FSX.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Thank you all. I guess I'm going to stick with it for a while longer.

Thanks,

T

Well I'm in the other corner, haven't had any problems with the boxed version.

Steam on the other hand with the last couple of client updates, play offline mostly & get error messages and annoying pop up that makes Steam take forever to shut down.

The last couple of Steam clients have been a problem for me, Steam was working very well before updating the client.

Thanks, I'm really on the fence on what I'm going to do. I don't like all of the updates and Steam pop ups.

Is it possible to have 2 instances of FSX?

If you run both together I think you have to have FSX installed first and then install the Steam version which creates it's own save & config files otherwise you get conflicts of interest between the two programs.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

It might save a bit of time re-installing your addons that you rename the fsx folder as it should contain your addon aircraft/scenery folders.

You can then just copy them to the new installation, a few payware aircraft like PMG you will have to re-install but a lot will work without.

Thanks, I'm hoping to take the plunge soon. I have several installs of FS2004 and hope I can do the same for FSX.

T

The Steam edition is pretty well established and there are newer versions so there won't be many updates.

I use Steam's version of FSX. I have found it far more reliable that the original disk version. Recently I received a notice from Steam that they were no longer supporting FSX. Since then, I have found the loading process to be glitchy, and at this writing I can't get FSX Steam to load at all. I don't have a computer capable of running Microsoft Flight, so my flight simming days might be behind me.

I wanted to provide an update. I now have both Steam FSX and the box version of FSX Deluxe installed on my PC. So far so good. I'm really enjoying the box version of FSX Deluxe. I think I'm sharing config files but that is OK. Everything is working on the box version and I'm going to load my additional aircraft at a later time.

Thanks,

T

FSX Steam VS FSX

Hi All
    I have had BOTH versions installed on this machine for years and they both work perfectly. (Win 7 64bit) My QUESTION is...Steam will be ending support for Win 7 in Jan. 2024.....and they enjoy reminding everyone of that. Does anyone know of other servers that are or will be used for the FSX crowd?

thanks, radioguy

Members who have read this thread: 0